Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dressed Up SMART

Ramfins59

Here's something you don't see every day, if at all.  It's my "Dressed Up" SMART Car.   I picked up this Revell kit (#1327) from a vendor at the Maryland NNL back in 2000.  I found it in a plastic bag at the back of a shelf in my model area and decided that it would make a fun little side project in between some others I have going on.  Well, it wound up holding my attention for the last few weeks.

It's painted Tamiya Metallic Red with a White roof.  The only chrome pieces in the kit were the headlight buckets, the center grille, and the mirror faces.  All the rest of the chrome on this little guy was done with either BMF or Molotow pens (Front & rear lower body panels, wipers, mirrors, window frames and wheels).  I used embossing powder for the interior carpeting and some flocking for the seat & door panels.  All of the interior chrome trim was done with the Molotow pens.  I also added an interior mirror, visors and a dome light.

This was a fun little project and is as cute as heck...

Thanks for looking in on this, and, as always, any and all comments are welcomed.

HPIM5370.JPG

HPIM5369.JPG

HPIM5371.JPG

HPIM5373.JPG

HPIM5372.JPG

Great job building the kit. 

I could never figure out what went wrong with this car that it did not get much better gas mileage.  There are a number of cars much bigger than this one that also got a lot better gas mileage.

Thanks again for all the kind comments guys.

David, I am in no way a master of anything.  The Molotow pens are a great tool in our modeling arsenal.  Just be sure to let the parts dry fully for at least a day or so before handling them to not ruin the chrome sheen.

Ramfins59 , you made a sows ear out of a sows ears quite well .  Like the real thing only smaller . Kudos . The wags reported in the day ; this turd was the reason Mercedes bought Chrysler .  They could not push this iron in Europe . The plan was America would gobble these up following the success of .. wait for it .. the YUGO .. lol . I will not drive my own coffin ! I built one in the day , the doors did not open .. You did a super job on this . You are my hero , I am an abject failure on opening doors or opening doors in a kit . Thanx ..