Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mercedes 540K

NOBLNG

I picked up this at a flea market last year because I really like the looks of these cars. The Previous Owner had started assembling it and made a few errors. The front axle assembly was installed above the frame instead of straddling it. This led to a huge gap between the frame and the body which the PO tried to fill with glue.:wacko: The rear springs were installed backwards and both windshield posts were snapped off. One post was gone.

IMG_2806.JPG

IMG_2807 - Copy.JPG

IMG_2810 - Copy.JPG

I managed to get most of it separated despite the enormous amount of glue used to hold it together. I pinned and epoxied the one windshield post (which was still glued to the windshield frame) back on. Thankfully he didn't scrape the chrome off before glueing it. I made a metal template of the windshield frame and am using it to shape and locate the new post since the kit piece is very delicate and slightly warped.:( It still needs final shaping, but I think I will leave it off until I get some other body work done.

IMG_7007 - Copy.JPG

IMG_7010 - Copy.JPG

IMG_7003 - Copy.JPG

The hood needs a little bit added on at the rear edges where it meets the body and the exhaust slots don't line up properly. There is no lip that I can see on the radiator grill for the front of the hood to sit on, so I made the top hood and sides into a one piece deal.

All comments or suggestions welcome.

IMG_7025 - Copy.JPG

IMG_7028 - Copy.JPG

IMG_7030 - Copy.JPG

IMG_7032 - Copy.JPG

Edited by NOBLNG

This builds into a beautiful kit even if it's not based on any 1:1 car in existence. Looks like you have skills to repair the previous builder's mistakes. I built this many years ago from the seventies release. I didn't make any mods, just paint. There were several fitment issues as you are finding out, but they are easy fixes. I have various versions of the Monogram Classics they released from the sixties into the eighties  The Mercedes is the only one I've finished. I don't think you'll be disappointed. Looking forward to the finished car. Good luck!

https://public.fotki.com/tharrison351/mercedes-benz-540k/

Edited by THarrison351

8 hours ago, THarrison351 said:

This builds into a beautiful kit even if it's not based on any 1:1 car in existence. Looks like you have skills to repair the previous builder's mistakes. I built this many years ago from the seventies release. I didn't make any mods, just paint. There were several fitment issues as you are finding out, but they are easy fixes. I have various versions of the Monogram Classics they released from the sixties into the eighties  The Mercedes is the only one I've finished. I don't think you'll be disappointed. Looking forward to the finished car. Good luck!

https://public.fotki.com/tharrison351/mercedes-benz-540k/

Thanks for the link to your build. I hope mine turn out half as nice! This pic I found online is sort of my inspiration.

1937-Mercedes-Benz-540K-Sport-Cabriolet-A-by-Sindelfingen-5 - Copy (2).jpg

Edited by NOBLNG

16 hours ago, NOBLNG said:

Thanks for the link to your build. I hope mine turn out half as nice! This pic I found online is sort of my inspiration.

1937-Mercedes-Benz-540K-Sport-Cabriolet-A-by-Sindelfingen-5 - Copy (2).jpg

That's actually one of the cars I looked at too. Other than the externally mounted spare and colors, most everything is correct!

I like it.  I saw a photo of Tim's a little bit ago.  not really in my range of collection, but I do have the 500K from Franklin mint.  So this is kinda close to that and looks like a nice build.  Looks like you have a handle on the fixes.   

22 hours ago, sjordan2 said:

My plan for this was to replace the side louver panels with the more typical horizontal chrome vents from the Johan or Heller kits. 

Thanks for the confidence everyone. I have some fine s/s mesh that I am considering putting in place of the louvers (same stuff as on the air cleaner) Although not factory correct, I think it will look nicer than the fake louvers.

IMG_7114.JPG

IMG_7117.JPG

I finished the interior. I wish I had fixed that blemish on the back of the driver's seat.:unsure: It didn't look that bad to the naked eye and there was a bit of "fabric texture" on the seat back that I didn't want to lose. Oh well!

IMG_2810 - Copy.JPG

IMG_7145 - Copy.JPG

IMG_7130 - Copy.JPG

5 hours ago, sjordan2 said:

Thanks! Some beautiful details shots there. I have only seen one car with the concealed spare tire. Only one that has the windshield wipers mounted on the cowl, and they are a parallel arrangement, not opposed like this model has? This model's are not even on the cowl, they are on the lower side of the windshield frame!:huh:

Cowl Wipers.jpg

Mercedes-Benz-540K-SC-Sport-Cabriolet-A-108689 - Copy.jpg

Edited by NOBLNG
add pics

Note that the covered spare tire appears most often on the Spezial roadster, whereas your kit is an amalagam of a Type A, B or C cabriolet. The Spezial roadster is replicated in the 1/16 kit boxed by different companies.

EDIT: You will also note that the Spezial roadster as a different, split windshield than the cabrios.

Edited by sjordan2