Model Cars Magazine Forum

1974 MG-B

martinfan5

Here we go, the reissue of the MG-B kits from Aoshima, Tahiti Blue from Scalefinishes is the paint, and what I learned building it , my building is a lot like that of the Fine British Engineering.  The wheels I used a Silver Sharpie on, painted them black first, they turned out ok, could be tad better I feel , the windscreen frame turned out really good, till it was time to install it. I started with a black base coat, I was going to BMF it, but whats left of my BMF is getting old and is tearing and sticking to the backing paper.  So I re masked off the windows and shot Alclad Polished Aluminum  on it, it look very good, but a lot of rubbed off.  

mg1-vi.jpg
mg2-vi.jpg
mg3-vi.jpg
mg4-vi.jpg
mg7-vi.jpg
mg6-vi.jpg
mg5-vi.jpg

15 minutes ago, Classicgas said:

Beautiful. Engine and chassis pics?

That one is a curbside. No engine.  Most Aoshima chassis are still fairly well detailed, with separate brake drums and other parts.  Their racing version of the Mazda Cosmo had separate exhaust pipe, rear/front axles with poseable front wheels, and even the racing-only skid-plate under the front.

Nice build and nice color! Tahiti blue is a factory Triumph TR6 color. I used to own a Tahiti blue TR6. Funny story about the color...one day while driving the car through a local park a guy driving in the opposite direction sticks his arm out waving for me to stop, which I did. He asks me what kind of car is it so I answer "it's a 1976 Triumph TR6" Then he asks 'what is that color!?" I answer "tahiti blue". He apparently misunderstood me and said back: "titty blue!?".  Well me and my friends still call that car the "the titty blue TR6" !

Absolutely beautiful Jonathan! :wub:

I had a '71 MG (actually a Midget or to be more technical---a Healey) back in the mid '80's. Loved the car to death, but boy could it be troublesome!

I think your car though represents a '75 or later as they went to those big black rubber type bumpers then. Also the '75's and later tend to sit a bit high to comply with U.S. headlight height regs.

I love the color on yours as that is an excellent paint job!

11 hours ago, MrObsessive said:

Absolutely beautiful Jonathan! :wub:

I had a '71 MG (actually a Midget or to be more technical---a Healey) back in the mid '80's. Loved the car to death, but boy could it be troublesome!

I think your car though represents a '75 or later as they went to those big black rubber type bumpers then. Also the '75's and later tend to sit a bit high to comply with U.S. headlight height regs.

I love the color on yours as that is an excellent paint job!

Yes, the rubber bumpers started in '75, though some might say "74 1/2" depending on when their vehicle hit the dealer network and got registered.

https://classiccars.com/listings/view/1110355/1974-mg-mgb-for-sale-in-rye-new-hampshire-03870

Most '74s sold in North America had big, heavy rubber overriders on chrome bumpers as illustrated on the one in the link. Many owners replaced them with the 1973 and earlier style bumper overriders. 

After years of looking for the right chrome bumper MGB, I bought an '80 MGB that I had for almost a decade. '80 was technically the last year, though some got titled as '81s. While it had the big rubber bumpers and jacked up ride height compared to the earlier cars, luckily many of the bugs were worked out by the end of production, and it was actually a pretty reliable car.  I got used to the rubber bumpers (hated by purists) and miss mine terribly.

Great job on the kit, brings back some memories.That color is very close to one used on MGBs from the period. The kit can be used to build a '75-'80 MGB (or '74 1/2 to '81 depending on who you ask), but there were minor tweaks through the later production runs of the 1:1, with different interior styles and carburetor configurations. You'd have to decide what year the kit best approximates out of the box unless you want to do some scratch building.

Edited by gman

One thing to remember is the Aoshima MGB's were engineered w/the raised ride height of the rubber-bumper generation. Not terribly difficult to lower the model to the previous ride height which would also look much better on the rubber-bumper cars. I still have several of the early-production MGB kits including the race version w/the racing wheels and HT, not sure I want to shell out the $ for the new version just to get the late model styled wheels. Maybe someone like USCP will clone them and resin cast them as I do not need another box full of parts I'll never use. I can wait, not like I don't have a billion other projects/ideas cluttering both mind and basement space :D