Model Cars Magazine Forum

Kids today...

iamsuperdan

This would be far to complex and undertaking for the average child today. Even with an instruction sheet to go by how would they ever figure out where the different parts go ? Now if there was an APP to explain it then maybe if they could focus long enough on the subject they might get some of it done before they lost interest. The time it takes for glue to dry would be their undoing. Painting would be out because it require some prep work and I just don't see that happening. There would be "selfie" time to share with all the others who care what they are doing. I know that there are many very young builders that are capable of this and more, I have seen some of the builds here and many are inspiring to see.   Unfortunately they are far to few and far between.   

2 hours ago, espo said:

The time it takes for glue to dry would be their undoing. Painting would be out because it require some prep work and I just don't see that happening.

This what happen with my nephew. He got so impatient. So I got Lego's for him instead as he liked those a lot. Of course video games were a big deal to him as well. 

And yet, a lot of young people buy furniture from IKEA and they can put that together.  And heaven forbid, they have to follow directions and use hand tools as well.  How is this even possible with their video game dulled minds????

As far as the link between the cassette tape and the pencil, why would they have to know the link between the two?  Cassette tapes have largely been obsolete for the past 30 years.

2 hours ago, Jim N said:

And yet, a lot of young people buy furniture from IKEA and they can put that together.  And heaven forbid, they have to follow directions and use hand tools as well.  How is this even possible with their video game dulled minds????

As far as the link between the cassette tape and the pencil, why would they have to know the link between the two?  Cassette tapes have largely been obsolete for the past 30 years.

Same thing with R/C Cars, Planes, and Quadcopters (drones). I know that there are kids out there that work on their own. After seeing a dealer mechaic's work on an R/C Truck one time, I think I'd be more likely to trust that kid fixing my 200 or XJ than the mechanic

6 hours ago, Hermann Kersten said:

Here is another one for kids today.....

cassette.jpg.dee3e84c7eef5298982417fb6912cb83.jpg

There is an outside chance that they have seen or heard of a pencil, as for the Cassette you just know they would be dumb founded trying to understand how music could be stored on this. 

On 4/10/2019 at 11:48 PM, Joe Handley said:

Your kids are what you raise...................

Or not. My kids grew up in a modeling home, none of the three ever had the slightest interest in doing them for themselves. Although one son did grow up to be a 1:1 gearhead of sorts and a military pilot, so, there's that.  :unsure:

I used to work with a guy who did everything his father did including when he was in the professional world (bought a Buick as his dad had one....carried a briefcase as his dad carried one).  I want both my boys to blaze the own trail and follow what they want.  I encouraged both both in sports (both played basketball and baseball) as you learn teamwork and just want them to try new things (we only had rec baseball when I was a kid).

When my now 22 year old was playing basketball around 7 or 8 years old, they had enough players for three teams when he started but only one by seventh grade.  My 12 year old played baseball against a team this weekend that the other team had ONLY nine players and one didn't show so they had to take the "L".  My son was sign up #9 for his baseball team and they acquired a few more so not in danger of having to being short for a game.

...and it drives my wife nuts with some of the off handed comments, but I've told them both that athletes get the hot girls.  

On 4/16/2019 at 3:45 PM, Joe Handley said:

Same thing with R/C Cars, Planes, and Quadcopters (drones). I know that there are kids out there that work on their own. After seeing a dealer mechaic's work on an R/C Truck one time, I think I'd be more likely to trust that kid fixing my 200 or XJ than the mechanic

Reminds me of when we got our first computer in 2010. It didn't take me long to mess something up. The guy that lived across the hall worked with my wife at Walmart and he couldn't figure out what I did so he said he would get the guy that fixed his computer issues who lived in one of the other apartment buildings. He comes back with a 12 year old kid who had my computer up and running in less than 10 minutes and then did something that would keep it from happening again!

Called on him 2 more times while we lived there!:lol:

This conversation and others very similar have been taking place since the days of Socrates and civilization has advanced.  As much as each older generation wants to suggest that things are worse today than they were in the past, civilization continues to advance.

On 4/16/2019 at 9:39 PM, Snake45 said:

Or not. My kids grew up in a modeling home, none of the three ever had the slightest interest in doing them for themselves. Although one son did grow up to be a 1:1 gearhead of sorts and a military pilot, so, there's that.  :unsure:

My kids not either,  They tried.  But my youngest will build a 300 pc lego project.  Very similar except the models we build end up looking more or less like a real car and not one built from blocks.  But the Legos at least keep him occupied.  And he plays with his toy cars and diecasts some.   Keeps them all displayed neatly at my house.  Not so much at his mother's - whole other dynamic there.  he also helps me work on real stuff - oil changes, lawn mower, etc.   

Other son is a musician and knows a LOT about that.  Wants to learn to change his oil though.  

Daughter had to teach her boyfriend how to check and change oil.   there is that.  

but they help me when my phone does something screwy.  So I guess it's the balance of nature.

On 4/19/2019 at 1:27 PM, Jim N said:

This conversation and others very similar have been taking place since the days of Socrates and civilization has advanced.  As much as each older generation wants to suggest that things are worse today than they were in the past, civilization continues to advance.

Keep in mind advancing does not always mean for the good!

8 minutes ago, OldTrucker said:

Keep in mind advancing does not always mean for the good!

The only constant is change.  Some may be for the good, some not.  Time keeps moving forward, can't turn back the clock, whether people keep up or not...

Edited by Rob Hall

Want to see kids building models ? Mention the word Gundam and watch their interest level change. These are a Huge model kit business and though we my not speak their language they are as interested in these as we are in car modeling. Different generation , different set of interests.

I have two daughters who are now in their thirties. As kids they each built a model or two to spend time with Dad. My eldest really got into detail painting small parts. They both like to work with their hands, creating crafts, scrap books and painting furniture today. 

Go into Hobby Lobby and you’ll find lots of people with carts full of craft items, the stores do very well. So people are creating with their hands today, just not Model Cars.

I know I have mentioned this before, but I have to agree with what misterNNLhas said. In talking to one of the guys at the local Hobby Shop that I visit. We were talking about the state of model car modeling and he mentioned that what was hot right now was the Gundam type models. I had never even heard of them at that time. He was even building them and said this is what they were selling the most of now. 

4 hours ago, misterNNL said:

For an example of what can be done with a Gundam look at the current issue of " Damaged" magazine. There is a feature article that shows outstanding detail and paint work.

I had an awakening last year when I drifted into a gaming shop, which I've ignored for the past five years. Lots of gaming related models and specialty paints I'd never heard of. Good stuff. Still not interested in the gaming culture, but there is a whole underground modeling community putting their creations to battle every Saturday.

9 hours ago, espo said:

I know I have mentioned this before, but I have to agree with what misterNNLhas said. In talking to one of the guys at the local Hobby Shop that I visit. We were talking about the state of model car modeling and he mentioned that what was hot right now was the Gundam type models.

And this stuff isn’t cheap!  When guys complain that kids aren’t building model cars because of the $30 price tag, that’s not it! They’re just into different subject matter.

I was talking with a hobby shop owner a while back and he said even when young guys build cars they think nothing of the price tag on Japanese kits, and load up on supplies and Pegasus accessories for the kit!