Model Cars Magazine Forum

Scooby Doo, Where Are You...Polar Lights Mystery Machine

crowe-t

Here's a Polar Lights Mystery Machine I finished a while ago.  I had to have the rear bumper re-chromed so I just took some pictures of it completed. This is the older 1 piece body before Round 2 re-tooled it.  

I felt the opening rear doors looked toy-like so I glued them closed, filled in the seams and re-scribed them.  This one had side window 'glass' that I removed.  The dashboard was supposed to be held in place with 2 tubes coming up from the floor.  Again I felt this looked toy-like so I removed the tubes, put styrene strips inside the body to hold the dashboard and widened it to fit the body better.  This did pose a problem after I glued Scooby and Shaggy onto the seat.  When I tried putting the chassis into the body Scooby was in the way of the dashboard so I removed him and just stuck him in after I got it together.  I hadn't thought that one all the way through. LOL

It's painted with Gravity Colors paints.  A couple of years ago I contacted Gravity Colors and they got me the original Dodge Sublime Green and made a custom blue using screen shots from the original 'Scooby Doo, Where Are You' cartoon I sent them.  In the original 'Scooby Doo, Where Are You' cartoon the van's blue color was darker, even in the daytime scenes so I went with the darker blue.

'The Mystery Machine' and 'flowers' are water slide decals and the black outline around the green areas are decals I cut from a MicroScale Black Trim Film water slide decal sheet.

Here are finished pictures and some in-progress pictures as well as screen shots from the original 'Scooby Doo, Where Are You' cartoon.

IMG_0198 Small.jpg

IMG_0200 Small.jpg

IMG_0207 Small.jpg

IMG_0210 Small.jpg

IMG_0213 Small.jpg

IMG_0214 Small.jpg

IMG_7917 Small.jpg

IMG_8162 Small.jpg

IMG_8521 Small.jpg

IMG_8176 Small.jpg

IMG_8175 Small.jpg

IMG_8182 Small.jpg

Scooby Do Mystery Machine Screen Shot 1 Small.jpg

Scooby Do Mystery Machine Screen Shot 2 Small.jpg

Scooby Do Mystery Machine Screen Shot 3 Small.jpg

Edited by crowe-t

getPart?uid=AGZP841BrAXlXLOZxQnbcIOecPI&partId=4&saveAs=IMG_1366.jpg&scope=STANDARD

Here's the Dodge A100 version that was at the Philadelphia Car Show in February! 

You can see it's not an exact replica of the cartoon car or the model.  The graphics are a bit different.

I've thought of modeling this version..  I have a Jimmy Flintstone A100 van body that's not doing nuthin'!

getPart?uid=AGZP841BrAXlXLOZxQnbcIOecPI&partId=2&saveAs=IMG_1367.jpg&scope=STANDARD