Model Cars Magazine Forum

I don't know much about the kit other than it was imported from the US a couple of years ago. I don't think I'll paint it the same colour as on the box, i was thinking of trying a sparkly nail polish on the boat. I've also bought a Lego light kit to fit in it.

20190412_204235.jpg

This is a neat kit. I built the boat a couple of years ago. This is a fairly old mold and the mounting pins for the hull half's are a little fussy. Revell did a good job, for the time, in trying to give you a lot of detail both on the boat and the trailer. I'm not sure how hard or expensive it is to get parts from resin casters in the US but I have used parts from Harts Parts and he offers some good conversion parts for this boat that I have used. He's listed in the Resin/After Market section here on the forum, All his casting are very high quality.     I just double checked on the boat parts I mentioned. - I have used Harts Parts before but it wasn't for the Boat. The parts are listed under Calnege Castings. He offers several options. The interior in this kit is not very realistic and he offers a great tuck & roll seating option and it looks perfect and is part of what I used on mine. I also changeds the drive train around and used his parts to make it a "squirt" boat.   

Edited by espo

Not being able to see this in 3D, it looks like the registration of the locating pins may be a bit off kilter.  I would suggest placing a piece of 600 grit sandpaper on a really flat surface (a piece of glass would work) then carefully sanding the locating pins off.  It may also help to put a VERY light bevel along the outer edges of the hull pieces so you can putty the seam once you get the hull glued together.

1 hour ago, TarheelRick said:

Not being able to see this in 3D, it looks like the registration of the locating pins may be a bit off kilter.  I would suggest placing a piece of 600 grit sandpaper on a really flat surface (a piece of glass would work) then carefully sanding the locating pins off.  It may also help to put a VERY light bevel along the outer edges of the hull pieces so you can putty the seam once you get the hull glued together.

Exactly, that should fix it quite easily. I have that kit, never even started it.......................yet!

This is what I was talking about the hull being a little fussy. I reinforced the joint inside with a strip of plastic so that it wouldn't flex. Also a little Tamiya body putty to fill the gap. The front deck isn't quite as bad.  

My first attempt at cutting out doors, that's two days and several band aids I'll never get back. I did the No. 11 back method. There's gotta be a faster, easier way - I've ordered a Tamiya  PE fine craft saws (74094) package to try out, anyone else used these? Now to learn how to make hinges.

doors cut out.jpg

54 minutes ago, DaveP said:

My first attempt at cutting out doors, that's two days and several band aids I'll never get back. I did the No. 11 back method. There's gotta be a faster, easier way - I've ordered a Tamiya  PE fine craft saws (74094) package to try out, anyone else used these? Now to learn how to make hinges.

That's how I still cut out doors and hoods.  I've used thread like a saw for curved corners, the p-e saws won't help there.  I'm sure there are several topics about doing this, take some time to search; I try but people have not always put in key tag words.   I can tell doing the A-pillar was the dicy part.  Have fun!

On 13/04/2019 at 12:48 AM, espo said:

This is a neat kit. I built the boat a couple of years ago. This is a fairly old mold and the mounting pins for the hull half's are a little fussy. Revell did a good job, for the time, in trying to give you a lot of detail both on the boat and the trailer. I'm not sure how hard or expensive it is to get parts from resin casters in the US but I have used parts from Harts Parts and he offers some good conversion parts for this boat that I have used. He's listed in the Resin/After Market section here on the forum, All his casting are very high quality.     I just double checked on the boat parts I mentioned. - I have used Harts Parts before but it wasn't for the Boat. The parts are listed under Calnege Castings. He offers several options. The interior in this kit is not very realistic and he offers a great tuck & roll seating option and it looks perfect and is part of what I used on mine. I also changeds the drive train around and used his parts to make it a "squirt" boat.   

I can't find Calnege Castings anywhere, is the spelling correct or do you have a web address?

Always liked this kit, I look forward to seeing what you do with it. PE saws are much better than the back of the old #11, take your time & use the right saw even corners can be done very successfully & it's a much cleaner & tighter cut. 

Edited by Yahshu

• 3 weeks later...

So here's the doors mounted into the frame. A bit of trial and error to get the wire for the hinges bent correctly but they open and close like they should. I have door linings to disguise the wire and  epoxy glue and I need to make the door and floor jambs. It really taught me more patience than I previously had! Thanks to for tips on how to do this on this forum (above) and to those who have posted how to clips on You tube. Dave

doorfront.jpg

doorl.jpg

doorr.jpg

doorrear.jpg

The trailer is basically finished. I air brushed it with black sparkly nail polish that the photos don't do justice to. First time with nail polish, easy peasy! Mind you that was after reading the how to section on this forum and the ubiquitous You Tube videos.  I also included a cable and a hook on the winch. Why have a winch without a cable? I'm enjoying the build immensely.

tlr.jpg

tlr1.jpg