Model Cars Magazine Forum

Long Beach Grand Prix

Heading out to the Long Beach Grand Prix today.  Fast Friday, first day of practice.  I understand Tamiya has a large booth in the Exhibition Hall.  Will have to check that out and see if there are any "bargains" to be had...I know dream on, right?

Thanks Bill.  Just got back from morning practice.  Thought I would share some pictures I took.  

Beautiful day here in Long Beach with a couple of pictures from the grandstands, including the Queen Mary.

For those of us who have built the Revell Corvette C7.R it was nice to see both the #4 and #3 cars in the SportsCar Grand Prix IMSA practice this morning.

The Historic IMSA GTO practice featured cars from the 1980's with the exception of a lone 1976 Porsche 911.

The Stadium Super Trucks are always a hoot to watch as they fly over the jumps.

Ryan a Hunter-Reay was quickest this morning in practice in his DHL sponsored car, but Scott Dixon looks fast as well.  He sat in the pits for about the first 20 minutes while others were running.  When he jumped onto the track he immediately posted the quickest lap of the morning.

The Tamiya booth was nicely set up.  Lots of RC cars as well as plastic models.  No bargains.  I was looking for the 300SL but they had sold out of it.

Fun way to spend a Friday morning.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

23 hours ago, Slimguy said:

Amen to that Bill...what is even better is that I live in Downtown Long Beach, just two blocks from the main gate entrance.  I don't even have to fight traffic to get there...?

Just avoid the "Road Diet" streets and / or Broadway , and you're good to go . 

Long Beach is my favourite beach city (most seem to clamour to Huntington Beach or Newport --- no , thanks) ; one of my best friends has lived there for 11 years (presently near Cherry x 7th) , and I make it a point to get there at least twice-a-year .

How long have you lived in L.B. ?

Hi John..I live at the corner of The Promenade and 1st...one block off Ocean Blvd nestled between Pine Avenue and Long Beach Blvd.  Long Beach has exploded in growth the last 5 years...condos going in everywhere.  Also just broke ground on a new 25 story condo tower..so the skyline is growing as well.  Long Beach is even now trying to get the Angels to move here from Anaheim.  

I have lived here for three years now...moved here from Orange County.  I even moved my office here to a building right across the street.  My commute to the office is about one minute.?

Hi Robert...give it a few more years and you won't recognized the area around the Queen Mary.  Huge new development is going in on that side of the harbor..plus I think over a 100 million in upgrades and repairs to the grand old ship.

With Tamiya having a booth there, thought they might of released the TS050 early. Brookhurst hobbies from California had the Ford GT weeks before anyone else in the US at their contest show. Would of been a good time to release that new kit on a race weekend. Not the exact same prototypes but close. 

Enjoy the race. I'll be watching online later today.

Thanks David.  Been to Brookhurst Hobbies many times...one of the few remaining hobby stores left in Southern California Los Greater Los Angeles area.  I think the only other one is in Burbank.  Nothing like going shopping and seeing and touching the product as opposed to buying over the Internet.  Right?

11 minutes ago, Slimguy said:

Thanks David.  Been to Brookhurst Hobbies many times...one of the few remaining hobby stores left in Southern California Los Greater Los Angeles area.  I think the only other one is in Burbank.  Nothing like going shopping and seeing and touching the product as opposed to buying over the Internet.  Right?

I got my first Ford GT from them. I was lucky enough to pick it online on the day of their contest and they had them listed for $34 US, with shipping to my US address it was $42. Even though I've never been there, they guys were very helpful on the phone and set me up with no hassles. Definitely a hobby store I'll visit when I finally get out to California. 

2 hours ago, Slimguy said:

Hi John..I live at the corner of The Promenade and 1st...one block off Ocean Blvd nestled between Pine Avenue and Long Beach Blvd.  Long Beach has exploded in growth the last 5 years...condos going in everywhere.  Also just broke ground on a new 25 story condo tower..so the skyline is growing as well.  Long Beach is even now trying to get the Angels to move here from Anaheim.  

I have lived here for three years now...moved here from Orange County.  I even moved my office here to a building right across the street.  My commute to the office is about one minute.?

Very cool , man ! That condo is adjacent to Bixby Park on Ocean , no ? Let's not forget Park Pantry and Ambrosia --- both serve an excellent breakfast ! 

Perhaps my favourite thing about L.B. is that everything's in walking-distance .

21 hours ago, Jhedir6 said:

I got my first Ford GT from them. I was lucky enough to pick it online on the day of their contest and they had them listed for $34 US, with shipping to my US address it was $42. Even though I've never been there, they guys were very helpful on the phone and set me up with no hassles. Definitely a hobby store I'll visit when I finally get out to California. 

If I recall correctly I think they were pricing the Ford GT at 29.95 at their booth this weekend

20 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

Very cool , man ! That condo is adjacent to Bixby Park on Ocean , no ? Let's not forget Park Pantry and Ambrosia --- both serve an excellent breakfast ! 

Perhaps my favourite thing about L.B. is that everything's in walking-distance .

Park Pantry...been there many times

4 hours ago, Slimguy said:

If I recall correctly I think they were pricing the Ford GT at 29.95 at their booth this weekend

BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH, for that price I would have picked up a couple more had I been able to be there.