Model Cars Magazine Forum

GM burgundy interiors

Hey gang, any thoughts on which colors to use that might best replicate our well-known GM burgundy interiors from the 80s? I want to make an interior of this color for both the Olds 442 and to build a Buick Regal Limited Turbo from the old Grand National kit.

131614.jpg

GM called this color "claret," I believe. I've eyeballed Tamiya Hull Red and it doesn't quite seem bright enough. I thought I'd lay a basecoat of Testors Fabric spray paint and then color over that.

Any ideas?

This has come up before. I've seen a Krylon rattlecan at Walmart that's definitely in this neighborhood--I think it's called Oxblood or something of the kind. 

Don't overlook crafts acrylics--they're great for interiors, cheap, and available in MANY colors. Come to think of it, not long ago I used a craft acrylic called Brandy Wine that's also similar (it was a glossy, though). 

I'd check with any large auto supply store in your area. Many have interior dye sprays that should or could be the correct color. Also any automotive paint store selling to body shops in the area, they may be able to get an exact match for you.  

Years ago, Testors/Model Master offered a shade called Kandy Scarlet.  It's a fairly dark red, but as the name indicates, it's translucent.  Maybe shoot it over gray primer and finish with semigloss or dullcoat.  

Looks like it's available on ebay for about $3.00. 

Edited by Monty