Model Cars Magazine Forum

Don Hardy chassis help for blue max build

MoparMark

Hi All, I'm putting out a call for some reference help to get more info or pics of a 69 Don Hardy chassis. My next builds I want to do are the first and last Blue Max funny cars . I'm starting the first Blue Max car with the Polar lights kit and the chassis supplied is not what was under the body. The only pic I could find is pretty grainy and I could use some help with more info. The body has some fixing to do, front air dam, cut door panel lines, fill out side vents a little and add a center-line detail on top of the hood. Any help I would be very grateful.

Allen-FC-27.jpg

20190411_074140.jpg

20190411_074236 (2).jpg

20190411_074150 (2).jpg

The Johan Mustang FC and Pinto FC had the 1/25th Don Hardy chassis of which you speak (a later version), but they are pricy. The Monogram Cop Out FC is also close and much more available but it is in 1/24th scale.

Mustang FC July 2018.jpg

Mono FC chassis Aug 2018.JPG

Edited by magicmustang

Here’ what I’ve got so far. Original Blue Max, before Raymond Beadle, had a Logghe chassis. The Polar Lights kit reflects that car. If you look closely at the pics you’ll see evidence of the logghe chassis, especially the roll cage. The Harry Schmidt pages are from a March 1970 Super Stock and Drag Illustrated magazine. The Blue Max pages are from a Car Craft magazine and I don’t have a date for this one. I agree probably the best chassis to use would be the Johan mustang or Pinto Funny car kits. There is another option, AMT rereleased their Camaro Funny Car the Rattle Trap, not as good as chassis, but might be able to get it to work. I included my Blue Max build. I had to correct the front spoiler to make it look right. Hope this helps

Wow!I am thoroughly blown away . Thank you so much for the help I think I can get what info I was missing . Thanks again Dragcarz,Afx,and Magicmustang  for the help. Im on my way to start smashing things together a lot more coherently.

Yes most likely, the Monogram body is the first version of the Firebird Trans Am body used in the mid 80's, but the racers later modified the Trans Am body with a longer nose and some aero improvements.
Don "Snake" Prudhomme used the first version of that body style from 1982 to 1985 and the later version with the longer nose 1987 to 1989.