Model Cars Magazine Forum

The end is near

Just now, Classicgas said:

The nose on pic one and 3 are completely diffrent. I like 1 better but either way it's just ugly lol.

Different camo, probably a different nose disguise.  Anyway, look at the current C7..3 different front fascias between the Stingray, Z06 and ZR1..

5 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

Base C8 Stingray should start below $65k according to Car & Driver.  Z06 and ZR1 and other variations will of course be higher.  But still way below the NSX, Ferrari F8 (starts at around $275k),  Huracan, etc.   Should be interesting to see how it stacks up against the competition.  

Price point is going to make or break this version. They have had enough performance for  long time now.  I  liked the C7 except for the Camaro tail lights. I also like the looks of the C8 that we can see through the camo. 

I do not think it will sell below 65K ( I hope I am wrong)as a New GM Pickup cost the same decked out. They are getting into the super car with the Mid Engine car. They were already knee deep but now they are getting their head wet as they say.  

The thing I really do not like about the new one is lack of room. I worked on the C7 and C8 programs and drove C7's year round for 5 years. Including every day through the winters. At 6ft tall and 280 lbs I was comfortable in the C7 but would really have liked another 1/2 - 1" legroom. The C8 is smaller inside - enough that if there were a manual trans version I would not be able to drive it. Good thing about the C7 was it was a great daily driver car - did always have issues with infotainment and HVAC systems but for a single guy was a great performer. I packed more stuff in them that could never fit into Camaros. Could take several full trash bags in the back and still close the hatch. Stopped on the way home from work and picked up sets of 4 14" and 15" new tires that would fit. Packed the back full of groceries, tools, ect. Stop on the way home and pick up shingles, lumber, and such from the home supply stores. Plus the C7 would get 40mpg on a highway cruise.  Granted Corvette owners don't care about storage space or mpg but these were just +'s to the great ride.  C8 has no room for anything - barely enough to store the roof.  While the mid engine may be neat there is little to gain in performance for what is lost. Also packs a lot of heat in that mid area and cooling has been an issue. Should keep the current layout and do the mid as a separate entity. The C8 will debut with the current engine but that gets replaces by a dohc and then twin turbo dohc so it's the end of the small block as well.

My only beef with it, is that it is unidentifiable as a Corvette. When the C7 came out, I new instantly that it was the new Corvette without ever seeing any photos of it. Because it looked like a Corvette. This one looks like an Acura or a Ferrari or something. But, I'm okay with it. It was never gonna sit in my driveway anyway.

A few thoughts:

• Good luck getting one of these for less than $100k CDN. I'll be honestly shocked if the pricing is less.
  • For quite some time, the plan had been for the C8 and C7 to be sold concurrently, as GM was considering moving Corvette to be it's own brand. Part of the plan to eliminate Chevrolet as a car company.
  • The different bumpers represent different trim levels. There are at least three of them driving around. The current car has the base model, Z06, ZR1, Grand Sport. All with different bumpers.
  • It had better be bigger than the C7. The C7 is too tiny. I physically cannot fit my 6'6" frame into a C7 to the point where I could actually drive it. Not even close.
  • If you're losing your mind over a switch the mid-engine, you had better sit down and prepare yourself. The hybrid mid-engined Corvette is an eventuality!