Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Charger Squad - Post Pics of your Chargers

RDean58

1 hour ago, spencer1984 said:

Thanks, this was tribute to box artists. Don Greer did the art for MPC's City Slicker, with supplemental work by James Hood.

I did, the extra detailing really helps the old Charger - nicely done!  How did you remove the hood deco? Any time I do, I usually use alcohol with a final polishing to get rid of the outline, but that would have made the hood shiny.

Thanks! Biggest PITA on that one was the comicly overthick vent window frames. Spent over an hour filing them back to something more reasonable. 

Spent some time considering altering the hood skull into "Old Velvet Nose," the semi-famous logo of the late great Warren Zevon, and then decided it just had to go. It came off with Walmart non-acetone nail polish remover, which didn't alter the luster of the semigloss black paint a bit. 

I've been trying to research the box art history of Don Greer. He first came to my attention back in the '70s as the artist of the covers and many of the profiles of the Squadron/Signal In Action airplane books. Few years ago I realized he'd done some model car box art. Just last month I was looking at the box of the AMT original annual '66 Mustang HT/convertible and realized it was a Don Greer! Looked at a few others I have, and he might have been the artist for all the AMT '66s. And he's still at it--what a career! 

31 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Thanks! Biggest PITA on that one was the comicly overthick vent window frames. Spent over an hour filing them back to something more reasonable. 

Spent some time considering altering the hood skull into "Old Velvet Nose," the semi-famous logo of the late great Warren Zevon, and then decided it just had to go. It came off with Walmart non-acetone nail polish remover, which didn't alter the luster of the semigloss black paint a bit. 

I've been trying to research the box art history of Don Greer. He first came to my attention back in the '70s as the artist of the covers and many of the profiles of the Squadron/Signal In Action airplane books. Few years ago I realized he'd done some model car box art. Just last month I was looking at the box of the AMT original annual '66 Mustang HT/convertible and realized it was a Don Greer! Looked at a few others I have, and he might have been the artist for all the AMT '66s. And he's still at it--what a career! 

I'd say it was worth the effort. I made a similar effort on an Ertl General Lee many years ago, and while it was "OK" it still ended up being one of the few models I parted with.  I decided that any diecast Chargers I got would be kept, warts and all, and if/when I want something better detailed I'll do it in styrene.  Good idea using the non-acetone, I'll have to keep that in mind...I have a NASCAR Camry that needs a little more work on the hood to get rid of the old UPS logo, that may do it. Thanks!

If you haven't yet, you may want to contact Round 2 directly to find out about Greer's history there.  I sent them an e-mail regarding the City Slicker and they were super helpful not only answering my questions, but providing a little background as well.  Their marketing/PR department seems to have done their homework, so they may be able to give you more info.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is mine, a Buddy Baker,  aftermarket decals, an AMT 71 Charger body, generic AMT nascar chassis with some scratch built pieces and a parts box hemi. Not a correct reproduction by any means but it did capture the "look", and that is what I was after.

P8280011.jpg

P8280012.jpg

P8280013.jpg

P8280017.jpg

• Like 2

On 4/19/2019 at 7:15 AM, spencer1984 said:

Here's my current group of finished Chargers, with more on the way...

Man! Everytime I see these builds I'm impressed... like the first time I'm seeing them!  Each car is recognizable with certain clarity. Keep building the best film cars we love.

• 3 years later...
2 hours ago, Calb56 said:

That looks like the one my wife had, though it wasn't AWD. She eventually traded it for a 2017 Crosstrek with extremely low miles.

Both, very cool cars.

I drove it to 98k and traded it for a new '19 Charger GT also with the AWD. They are no longer offering the Hemi in the Charger with the AWD system, so I had to settle for their 3.6 liter V6. You defiantly feel the loss of 100 horsepower when you're in a hurry, but I don't mind the 5 to 6 more mpg. The little driving we have to do in the small snowstorms that we get is not a problem with the AWD. 

2 hours ago, michelle said:

Here are the 4 dodge chargers I made using the new amt 2021 dodge charger r/t kits he pink one is a coupe the yellow one is custom daytona and the black one is dom’s 2020 hellcat from f9 and then the gold one is a charger sxt v6 

79150DC7-A7A1-49BB-938F-42FFB7D6CB3A.jpeg

I like your version of the Daytona.Â đŸ‘Œ