Model Cars Magazine Forum

Interior painting

Everyone has a favourite, but I like Humbrol for the range of shades, and because they have semigloss as well as flat finishes.  I like building a lot of old stuff, and the Humbrol colours seem to be the closest match, and that applies to their gloss finishes as well.  They hav ea maroon and a dark blue that are just about bang on for what Ford was using in the '30s and '40s.

That said, I'll use Model Master and Tamiya paint if what they have is closer to what I want.

All of the above!

There is no answer to this question.

Everything is fair game.

I've used pretty much everything from automotive lacquer, to acrylic craft paint.

It's not so much the material you use, but what you do with it.

Case in point, this single interior was painted with Testors acrylic, Testors lacquer, Duplicolor touch up paint and MCW paint.

Steve

2v2EQ5HM8xwUbWP.jpg

2v2EQ5akLxwUbWP.jpg

2v2EQ5Em3xwUbWP.jpg

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

You can use just about any brand of paint you want, it's the finish that you should be concerned about. By that I mean the amount of gloss in the finish. This will very from a low gloss for vinyl or leather interior materials. A flatter finish for a cloth material. Remember the top of a dash board will tend to have a flat finish in a 1:1 to cut down on glair while driving. Sometimes you will be trying to have an interior that matches the exterior or something a couple of shades darker or lighter. I think a builder would want to get comfortable with how clears dry flat or semi gloss.   

On 4/13/2019 at 2:07 PM, StevenGuthmiller said:

All of the above!

There is no answer to this question.

Everything is fair game.

I've used pretty much everything from automotive lacquer, to acrylic craft paint.

It's not so much the material you use, but what you do with it.

Case in point, this single interior was painted with Testors acrylic, Testors lacquer, Duplicolor touch up paint and MCW paint.

Steve

2v2EQ5HM8xwUbWP.jpg

2v2EQ5akLxwUbWP.jpg

2v2EQ5Em3xwUbWP.jpg

BTW Steve, that interior looks awesome! Those buckets look like 1:1 seats. 

1 hour ago, Speedfreak said:

BTW Steve, that interior looks awesome! Those buckets look like 1:1 seats. 

Thanks Gene.

Interiors have become one of my downfalls! :rolleyes:

I find myself spending more and more time trying to perfect some of them.

The '65 Plymouth Fury that I'm working on now has gone even a step further with removing those darned convertible top wells!!

But it went better than I had expected.

Steve

2v2E7Pjv5xwUbWP.jpg

1 hour ago, Speedfreak said:

Wow, you primer your interiors? I never do that, or at least not usually. What kind of primer is that?

This is just Testors primer.

When you're doing this kind of extensive modification, it helps a great deal to prime the parts to make it easier to see how things are turning out.

Plus the fact that I will often use automotive lacquers on at least some of the parts.

Steve

On April 16, 2019 at 10:05 AM, Speedfreak said:

Wow, you primer your interiors? I never do that, or at least not usually. What kind of primer is that?

On April 16, 2019 at 11:35 AM, StevenGuthmiller said:

This is just Testors primer.

When you're doing this kind of extensive modification, it helps a great deal to prime the parts to make it easier to see how things are turning out.

Plus the fact that I will often use automotive lacquers on at least some of the parts.

Steve

I prime everything  even what I brush paint, makes a big difference .....

6 hours ago, slusher said:

I prime everything  even what I brush paint, makes a big difference .....

I do as well.

Nearly every part that I paint has had some sort of work done on it, (usually at least mold lines removed) so priming shows me if there are any more issues to address before the paint goes on.

In my opinion, removing as many mold lines as possible is a big first step to a realistic as possible finished product.

I can't begin to count how many highly detailed engine compartments I have seen with a big mold line still running across the top of the radiator!

Steve

1 hour ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

In my opinion, removing as many mold lines as possible is a big first step to a realistic as possible finished product.

Steve

This

And cutting the tub apart to facilitate masking and spraying...over primered plastic, is a must...in my opinion.

2 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Absolutely! Probably 25% (or more) of my time in a full-detail build goes to removing mold lines and edge flash. (And their cousin, glue seams.)

When I see pictures of parts painted still on the sprue, I figure that's not a serious modeler. :unsure:

7 hours ago, Snake45 said:

When I see pictures of parts painted still on the sprue, I figure that's not a serious modeler. :unsure:

Unfortunately, I have to agree with you there.

I can't recall painting parts on the sprue EVER in my modeling career.......even when I was 10 years old. :P

Steve

1 hour ago, martinfan5 said:

Interiors are my weak spot , I feel I have a lot of room for improvement

There is ALWAYS room for improvement, no matter what the task.

This is part of what makes modeling so much fun!

Watching your own progression. ;)

My interiors were sorely lacking for many years and I just recently began focusing more attention on them.

They are still not perfect by any stretch, but I feel that they have improved a great deal.

Steve