Model Cars Magazine Forum

Car Model History in My Hands!

This one’s for Tim Boyd, Mark B, George B, Tom G, and all you other OG modelers who date back to the mid ‘60s.B)

Couple weeks ago I bought, on ePay, two models—coincidentally, both Mustangs—that were featured in Car Model magazine in the ‘60s: Paul Sable’s Henry the 8th ’65 Mustang A/FX, and Phil Jensen’s kitbashed/scratchbuilt Malco Gasser ’67 Mustang AA/GS.  I recognized them for what they were immediately, and decided that if were possible, I needed to own and restore them. I was lucky enough to submit the winning bids on both.

(At the same time, our own Mark B was buying three other Car Model feature models with the same idea in mind. I invite him to chime in and share them in this thread, if he wants.)

Both models turned out to be in even better condition than I’d hoped (all things considered).

First up, Paul Sable’s Henry the 8th Mustang A/FX(-ish) from the February 1966 issue of Car Model. This was the subject of a 4-page build article. The model arrived without glass and on a different chassis/wheels/tires from those seen in the mag article, and no engine,  but the flocked interior was present and in good shape, and the paint on the body was actually in better shape than it looked like in the ePay photos. A great deal of what looked like damage to the paint was just some kind of ick that washed off.

Last weekend I restored the body and interior of this one; finished pics to follow Under Glass as soon as I can get them taken.

65MustangSable02.jpg.fd7c9ad300aae11a0dd39e2ed771784a.jpg

65MustangSable04.jpg.ce049550e4557163a1d35c413e0c7ab6.jpg

65MustangSable06.jpg.9c691afcfef432b78e6a58ac2e3e3882.jpg

65MustangSable07.jpg.0ac43416c51976310f88fb15dc38db2b.jpg

65MustangSable08.jpg.5c6504899ac8dce220c58740142d2eec.jpg

65MustangSable10.jpg.9b8f08eaeb6ee399c3b4237d9671d4d7.jpg

The other model is Phil Jensen’s amazing kitbashed/scratchbuilt model of Ohio George Montgomery’s Malco Gasser ’67 Mustang, which was the subject of a detailed 8-page (!) build article in the March 1969 issue of Car Model. This was long before the MPC kit appeared. The ePay photos looked like the model had some damage and possibly even some missing parts, but when it arrived, it seemed to be complete, mainly just needing the front wheels remounted and a few other things glued back solid. It should all go back together just fine, and I couldn't ask for a better “restoration manual” than the original article, which included a very complete list of all parts and materials used, and even some patterns for scratchbuilt parts. I plan to just clean this one and restore it to as original a condition as possible.

I couldn't be more honored and humbled to have the chance to own and restore these pieces of model car history.:wub:67MustangMalco02.jpg.6565779a5cf19b90bf37ba2698789f46.jpg

67MustangMalco03.jpg.45348dbfe85c72f098a6c6c2ba100731.jpg

67MustangMalco04.jpg.b3c219c3db573c6e6df4226408d81c8f.jpg

67MustangMalco07.jpg.5351df8a35e21279a20bb4ab5d6c1919.jpg

Wow, that's neat.  I'd almost be afraid to score a genuine magazine car in need of restoration...my skills aren't up to that kind of task! Lots of cool models from the pages of the 60s mags that I'd happily own if I could, though.

Good luck with the restoration effort!

Given the fragility of items such as these, it's amazing that they even remained essentially intact all of these years.

And, knowing how dedicated you are at preserving the original builders' intentions, I can't think of a more appropriate person to be the next caretaker of these!

Congrats on your prizes. 

Richard.....what a FIND!!!!   In particular the Phil Jensen Mustang was one of the most ambitious projects to ever appear in that magazine.  It is great to see it in such a restorable condition, and to know you are going to finish putting it back together.  

Funny you should mention this at this time.  About 2 1/2 months ago I started a restoration of my Car Model Magazine/MPC/Dodge Funny Car entry that ended  up placing fourth nationwide in that contest.  It has been in hundreds of pieces since shortly after the contest results were announced, for reasons that I will detail later.  After five decades of parts sitting in a box, it's been quite a project to put it back together, and even now I am only 2/3rds of the way through the restoration.  

That aside congrats again on winning the bidding, and on your pending restorations.   Will be watching for updates!!!  Tim 

21 hours ago, Snake45 said:

No, I didn't. Maybe Mark did on his. I'm hoping he'll post his in this thread. B)

Nope, no story.  I don't have the paperwork for any of my eBay purchases, but I'm thinking that I got a 1959 (first volume) Auto World catalog from the same guy some years back.  That guy claimed to be a distant relative to the Koveleski family (who owned and operated Auto World among other things).  The catalog I have has no mailing label on it, which to me would be unusual because the company started as strictly mail order.  (From what I have heard, they never operated a regular store; the walk-in Auto World was supposedly just a counter, where you'd walk in and tell them what you wanted, and they'd get it from the "back room".)

I got three cars, all of which appeared as "how-to" articles and all of which made the covers too.

I'm starting a separate thread on the cars I got, so as not to water down Snake's thread.

10 hours ago, Mark said:

Nope, no story.  I don't have the paperwork for any of my eBay purchases, but I'm thinking that I got a 1959 (first volume) Auto World catalog from the same guy some years back.  That guy claimed to be a distant relative to the Koveleski family (who owned and operated Auto World among other things).  The catalog I have has no mailing label on it, which to me would be unusual because the company started as strictly mail order.  (From what I have heard, they never operated a regular store; the walk-in Auto World was supposedly just a counter, where you'd walk in and tell them what you wanted, and they'd get it from the "back room".)

I got three cars, all of which appeared as "how-to" articles and all of which made the covers too.

I'm starting a separate thread on the cars I got, so as not to water down Snake's thread.

I used to buy Auto World catalogs at the local newsstand, in my old home town. I still have the '74-1/2, and the '75 issues, I think. That may explain why there is no shipping label on your catalog?

12 hours ago, Mark said:

(From what I have heard, they never operated a regular store; the walk-in Auto World was supposedly just a counter, where you'd walk in and tell them what you wanted, and they'd get it from the "back room".)

That's pretty much true. I used to go through Scranton, PA on a fairly regular basis between 1978 and 1982, and finally managed to stop at the "store". I expected the coolest store ever, but it was just exactly as you heard - a couple of guys behind a counter. They would get you want you wanted. I was quite disappointed, and didn't buy anything.

On 4/13/2019 at 2:16 PM, SfanGoch said:

What are the chances of snagging two models actually featured in mag articles from 50+ years ago? For you, even money. :D

It gets even better. The issue with Malco Gasser writeup also has a photo of one of MY models in it! What are the odds of that:blink:

Too cool!  I've read both yours and Mark's threads.  I was in conversation with Mark Gustavson yesterday and forwarded him the links as well, so he can add to the museum's files that these cars all still exist.

I'm wondering if any of these cars are on the museum's  Clone The Past list.  

And we generally assume that these old models are long gone, but they keep appearing!  Mark sent me a photo yesterday of an iconic model that was thought to be long gone, but was found and restored. It will be revealed at GSL so I won't steal his thunder!   

As you know, I just love this stuff!   It is all of our history!

3 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

Too cool!  I've read both yours and Mark's threads.  I was in conversation with Mark Gustavson yesterday and forwarded him the links as well, so he can add to the museum's files that these cars all still exist.

And we generally assume that these old models are long gone, but they keep appearing!  Mark sent me a photo yesterday of an iconic model that was thought to be long gone, but was found and restored. It will be revealed at GSL so I won't steal his thunder!   

As you know, I just love this stuff!   It is all of our history!

And as many of you know, many of Phil Jensen's model truck article builds are on display at the International Model Car Museum....TIM 

On 4/15/2019 at 8:44 AM, Tom Geiger said:

I was in conversation with Mark Gustavson yesterday and forwarded him the links as well, so he can add to the museum's files that these cars all still exist.

I'd be interested in hearing his reaction to these. Since they're not late '50s-early '60s-style customs, I wouldn't be surprised if he's just not that interested in them. Neither of mine is on the Clone the Past list. (Most of the stuff on that list is from WAY before my own model car building days.)

On 4/14/2019 at 10:28 AM, tim boyd said:

Funny you should mention this at this time.  About 2 1/2 months ago I started a restoration of my Car Model Magazine/MPC/Dodge Funny Car entry that ended  up placing fourth nationwide in that contest.  It has been in hundreds of pieces since shortly after the contest results were announced, for reasons that I will detail later.  After five decades of parts sitting in a box, it's been quite a project to put it back together, and even now I am only 2/3rds of the way through the restoration.  

Tim, I've been going through my library of old Car Models and ran across the pics of your 4th Place Dodge the other day. You wuz ROBBED! :blink: You shouldn't have gotten 4th, you should have gotten 3rd! And the model in 7th Place should have been 2nd--of the Top 25 shown, it was the ONLY model that looked like an actual, real-world 1968 funny car. IMHO your model was second only to Jim Keeler's famous Dodge Fever among the other 23 "Funny Cars from an Alternate Universe," as its engineering and craftsmanship were superior to the rest. B)

BTW, I'm up to reading the June 1970 issue and just saw that another funny car model of yours (a Charger) won First Senior and Best Detail at a big MPC contest in Flint MI. Do you still have that one, too? Does it need restoration or is it still in good shape? (That's a NICE model, BTW.) B)

Edited by Snake45