Model Cars Magazine Forum

Lincoln V12 with ARDUN heads.

landman

I thought I'd try my hand at this beauty.

63c003bc3eec38315ba7d6b3ccf33e3f.jpg.49999ed7bbf5f82f760dce90e24ad5fd.jpg

Here are two more versions as food for thought.

649716494_th(4).jpg.01d941946f3ce7a0a0bc4383b86129ed.jpg

951440176_PotvinV12sml.jpg.6bd15a63d131d6c70c6acfd757fdfe7f.jpg

So I cast some heads and some engines.

Removed the exhaust manifolds and glued the halves together.

IMG_8867.JPG.47165218a07fbbc7ea029827575adfb6.JPGIMG_8866.JPG.dcda2494bf4fb4bd1bbfb24b27020146.JPGIMG_8865.JPG.3d313db4bc13fc25d008530dd356f8a9.JPGIMG_8837.JPG.83a706542def1eb6d6fa1bd3c4beea04.JPGIMG_8830.JPG.ac5261488f70ea366fde12c9aa80151e.JPG

Edited by landman
  • Like 1

Fabicated heads, valley cover, a new top for the distributor as the casting was crooked.

IMG_8872.jpg

IMG_8873.jpg

Cut & pasted the cam covers. They likely will be the roughest ARDUN cam covers in existence.

IMG_8874.jpg

IMG_8875.jpg

Edited by landman

• 1 year later...

You realise it would never work?

There was a reason for the spacing of the spark plugs on the V8, simply following the same lines with the V12 would mean that you have two plugs in one hole. Or something.

Look at the way four cylinder engines get converted to sixes, the L16 Nissan being a good example. When it was changed to a six for the bigger sedans and the 240Z the spacing of ports was altered accordingly. Things like this affect spacing of spark plugs, so you have to look to the design to see what that spacing will be.

A couple of designs, first the Nissan:

1020frnet240-Zmanifold.jpg

Note that what they've done is put in porting the same as cylinders 2 and 3 of the four to become cylinders 3 and 4 or the six.

On the other hand, the 'Blue Streak' 6-cylinder version of the BMC B-series is more 'normal', with the newly included cylinders being the same as 1 and 2 and 3 and 4.

1020frnetbluestreak.jpg

Now to look at the Lincoln:

1020frnetlincolnv12.jpg

Note that the valve order is such that it is essentially three 2-cylinder blocks in a row, each with the inlet ports in the middle flanked by the exhausts. The order is dictated by the need to get the exhaust to the outside of the block utilising the bigger gaps between the cylinders over the main bearing area of the lower block.

The Ardun heads used the same valve order on the Ford V8s::

1020frnetardunchambers.jpg

And spark plug location is dictated by the consequent placement of the rockers:

1020frnetardunrockerlayout.jpg

Here's a picture of a Zephyr engine which clearly shows that layout for the exhausts, one in front, one in rear and two siamesed pairs in between:

1020kayespecialrobroyexfacebook.jpg

So, if you follow this, you will see that your inner pair of spark plugs will come down into the head somewhere near the edge of cylinders two and five on each bank. To do it right there would be a pair of plugs in the middle.

1 hour ago, Ray Bell said:

There was a reason for the spacing of the spark plugs on the V8, simply following the same lines with the V12 would mean that you have two plugs in one hole. Or something.

Look at the way four cylinder engines get converted to sixes, the L16 Nissan being a good example. When it was changed to a six for the bigger sedans and the 240Z the spacing of ports was altered accordingly. Things like this affect spacing of spark plugs, so you have to look to the design to see what that spacing will be.

A couple of designs, first the Nissan:

Note that what they've done is put in porting the same as cylinders 2 and 3 of the four to become cylinders 3 and 4 or the six.

On the other hand, the 'Blue Streak' 6-cylinder version of the BMC B-series is more 'normal', with the newly included cylinders being the same as 1 and 2 and 3 and 4.

Note that the valve order is such that it is essentially three 2-cylinder blocks in a row, each with the inlet ports in the middle flanked by the exhausts. The order is dictated by the need to get the exhaust to the outside of the block utilising the bigger gaps between the cylinders over the main bearing area of the lower block.

The Ardun heads used the same valve order on the Ford V8s::

And spark plug location is dictated by the consequent placement of the rockers:

Here's a picture of a Zephyr engine which clearly shows that layout for the exhausts, one in front, one in rear and two siamesed pairs in between:

So, if you follow this, you will see that your inner pair of spark plugs will come down into the head somewhere near the edge of cylinders two and five on each bank. To do it right there would be a pair of plugs in the middle

Thanks Ray. That is now a defunct project on account of having found one ready made.

IMG_9751.JPG

Edited by landman
  • Like 1

On 4/14/2019 at 8:29 PM, landman said:

These sprue bits will make the distributor ends of the spark plug wire conduits.

IMG_8876.jpg

IMG_8877.jpg

Machined the uneven spark plug nibs and added beads.

IMG_8878.jpg

IMG_8880.jpg

Drilled the exhaust locator holes.

IMG_8881.jpg

A great big shout out to Photo Bucket for ruining most of the pictures! Thanks for nothing!

• Haha 1

On 10/17/2020 at 10:44 AM, Ray Bell said:

So, if you follow this, you will see that your inner pair of spark plugs will come down into the head somewhere near the edge of cylinders two and five on each bank. To do it right there would be a pair of plugs in the middle.

I see what you mean now Ray. I was copying a model not a real engine.  The 3D one I will be building has the same issue. So let's call it a non-functional showpiece, that is until the designer redoes it with even spacing. He likely copied the same model too. They likely made it like that to keep room for the Ardun lettering.

• 2 months later...
On 10/19/2020 at 8:05 AM, landman said:

I see what you mean now Ray. I was copying a model not a real engine.  The 3D one I will be building has the same issue. So let's call it a non-functional showpiece, that is until the designer redoes it with even spacing. He likely copied the same model too. They likely made it like that to keep room for the Ardun lettering.

Hi Pat, I just came across your topic, and found it interesting in that I have been working on a similar project, and have a topic about it.  You may be interested in taking a look.  We have been having the same discussion about the plug spacing, and you and I came to essentially the same conclusion.  Here is a link 

1 hour ago, foghorn62 said:

Hi Pat, I just came across your topic, and found it interesting in that I have been working on a similar project, and have a topic about it.  You may be interested in taking a look.  We have been having the same discussion about the plug spacing, and you and I came to essentially the same conclusion.  Here is a link 

Thanks Tim. That is a superlative project. I am always in awe of all that brasswork. My V12 Ardun is also from Ron Olsen. It will likely end up in my next Hot Rod Lincoln. Here is my humble take on a similar theme.

DSC_0203.JPG

DSC_0204.JPG

Edited by landman

the plug spacing could certainly be done the way it is in the model if so desired. simply grind the cam to the correct opening sequence, use the correct rockers and move the plugs to the same side of the valve layout.

here are 5 small block chevy heads.

1.std. sbc wedge

2. sbc buick symmetrical port wedge

3. sbc symmetrical port splayed valve

4. sb2  mirror image

5. sbc hemi head

all these heads bolt to a sbc block. all use different intake and exhaust locations, valve angle and position (wegde, splayed ,hemi) layouts, rocker arm layouts, pushrods, cam shafts and spark plug locations.

everything your saying that doesn't work on your version of the v-12 could be changed to work for this design if so desired.

sbc1.gif

sbc2.jpg

sbc3.jpg

sbc4.jpg

sbc5.jpg

30 minutes ago, comp1839 said:

the plug spacing could certainly be done the way it is in the model if so desired. simply grind the cam to the correct opening sequence, use the correct rockers and move the plugs to the same side of the valve layout.

here are 5 small block chevy heads.

1.std. sbc wedge

2. sbc buick symmetrical port wedge

3. sbc symmetrical port splayed valve

4. sb2  mirror image

5. sbc hemi head

all these heads bolt to a sbc block. all use different intake and exhaust locations, valve angle and position (wegde, splayed ,hemi) layouts, rocker arm layouts, pushrods, cam shafts and spark plug locations.

everything your saying that doesn't work on your version of the v-12 could be changed to work for this design if so desired.

Here is a pic of a Lincoln block.  As you can see, the cylinders are arranged on groups of two.image.jpeg.d21c5660ca2a95121c9b94f71924ed4b.jpeg