Model Cars Magazine Forum

1960 Pontiac Laurentian & Scratch Built Travel Trailer

DR JAY

12 hours ago, landman said:

Jason, mind telling us how you did the wiring with the wrapping? That is very very realistic.

I twisted wire together, leaving strands to correspond with appropriate accessories, and then painted the harness tamiya rubber and appropriate colored wires.

As For the trailer: It's scratch built from styrene  except for wheels, tires, tail lights. tongue jack, furnace vent and roof vent.  The louvered vents on the sides are foil copies and the propane tank is made from pen caps and aluminum sheet. Thank You for the compliments! I appreciate them a  lot. The trailer was actually an accessory after thought that turned out fairly decent for the short time it took to design and build.

Excellent job on both! This is our 1:1 64 Tempest wagon and recently acquired 71 Smokey camper. I'm already working on 1/25 replica of the wagon and hope to eventually build a replica of our camper to go with it. Of course, I also need to restore the 1:1 camper too!

0401191612.jpg

Edited by Kruzn

3 hours ago, olschoolkid said:

Nice Pontiac. I've never seen one of these as I live in the US, but it is pretty neat. I wonder if they made any Canadian Pontiacs with 409s.

Pontiac did build some cars with the 409, but it was a really small percentage of production. Most Canadian Pontiacs of the era were equipped with a 261 c.i. six or a 283 V8. I have seen pictures of a '63 Strato Chief 409 which ran in the NHRA Stock division, so there were some out there.

I really liked this build. I had a neighbour who owned a '60 Strato Chief when I was young, and I have appreciated the styling since then.

P.S. I couldn't get your question to quote here Cliff, but there is a photo-etch set which has those scripts. Okey Spaulding used to sell them as extra detail for the JoHan '55-56 Pontiacs. If you're planning to go to Kingston, PM me, and I'll bring them down so you can see them.

On 4/17/2019 at 1:02 AM, ChrisBcritter said:

Amazing job - I'll be taking notes on your engine wiring.

How did you attach the roof? Did you use the Chevy cowl, and did you have much trouble fitting the glass?

Thank You

To make the job simpler and to avoid glass fitting trouble I scribed the Chevy body around the trim at the top of the doors followed around the trim at the base of the windshield and back window so that it just dropped into the hole in the Pontiac body; from which I removed the roof using the same method. The whole point was to ditch the Bonneville roof and glass entirely because it just wasn't right at all.  The Chevy glass would have fit anyway because I make headliners and  channels for the trimmed and polished glass to snap into...usually with no adhesive required.

Nice combination. I had a friend that owned a four speed big block '60 hardtop with tri power that really hauled at the drag strip on weekends. For one summer he struggled with a mystery of the engine dying at full throttle just before the finish line. He eventually found out the was a slight bump in the track just short of the  lights that caused a loose battery post to jump out of it's mounting and kill the ignition.

The trailer is outstanding on it's own. I am starting to see more of these appear here on the boards lately. Is there a trend starting ?