Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 2019

Mr mopar

I just received info that the Sprint Car has lots of new updated parts. like a new seat, oil tank, lots of bodywork, headers, side bars, air cleaner, wheels, bead locks.

One of the biggest updates since the original kit was tooled.

Edited by Luc Janssens

FWIW the WoO Sprint car is Joey Saldana's, not Kevin Swindell.  Unless you're talking about the origin of the kit, which would be Sammy Swindell, although I think the Sprint Car kit is older than that in terms of who's car it was supposed to represent first in the late 80s.

DSC05635-1-696x520.jpg.d360be84bee46241656654d535a5748e.jpg

56 minutes ago, niteowl7710 said:

FWIW the WoO Sprint car is Joey Saldana's, not Kevin Swindell.  Unless you're talking about the origin of the kit, which would be Sammy Swindell, although I think the Sprint Car kit is older than that in terms of who's car it was supposed to represent first in the late 80s.

DSC05635-1-696x520.jpg.d360be84bee46241656654d535a5748e.jpg

I'm not a sprint car guy, but that is pretty cool. I hope it comes with those wheels. They look slightly different than the ones in the old kits?

On 4/14/2019 at 1:01 PM, thatz4u said:

Maybe a new tool 57 Ranchero is coming somewhere down the line...

It was the first thing I asked Ed Sexton - it's not going to happen due to expense. :(

I also asked if there could be a redo of the '40 Ford Pickup with custom and stock parts returned - again, nope. :(:(

One ray of hope: He confirmed that YES, Atlantis got the surviving '62 Mopar molds - however incomplete they may be.

I overheard him discussing the Model A hot rods but didn't hear an outcome.

New excuses same as the old excuses. Company is operating with effectively 0 debt and is cranking out kits of stuff that was tooled prior to the sale  (AAR Cuda, '57 Gasser, etc) and they still are being playing the super ultra conservative game...I guess I'll reserve final judgment until we see some project that is being funded by the new ownership from the ground up. Because these kits being shown here were all bought and paid for by a company that technically doesn't exist anymore and who's assets cost a whole $100,000.00, which is probably right around the amount Aoshima spent on new tooling so far this year converting a half-dozen existing kits to fit into their Initial D Universe.

I find it odd that the old Revell had the money to do all of those Foose models, but none to tool up a '57 Ranchero from their newer '57 Ford kits.  I think most would have preferred a '72 or '73 Gran Torino Sport or Ranchero GT over the '76 Torino.  I guess if it isn't an endless variation on a Camaro, they aren't too receptive.  The '62 Mopar kits would be nice to have, but I doubt enough people would buy them to make that a worthwhile investment.  Maybe they would listen to a '70 Ranchero GT based on the Torino kit.  We can only hope ... 

Not to contradict anyone, but Ed told me well before the Hobbico Bankruptcy that they had investigated in depth the possibility of doing a '57 Ranchero, but that there were so many changes to the tool required for an accurate replica that the project became unaffordable.    TIM 

Edited by tim boyd

Tim,

It may be true that to do an accurate '57 Ranchero that would please most of this forum's members would require an essentially new tool.   I think the real reason was they foresaw more sales doing Foose models, and that may have been a better use of their money.  It appears cars that kids can relate to (concept cars, Mustangs, Camaros, Chevelles & hot rods owned by their parents or grandparents) is where the kit market is headed. 

Glad to hear Ed Sexton is working with Revell, it will be interesting to see if they develop any new kits or just update existing tools and milk their catalog much like Round 2 has.

As some have noted, not much on that display gets me excited. I had a version of the Chevy pickup for years (bought around 1994) and never built it, not sure if I will get one this time now that I have sold it off.

Just now, mikemodeler said:

Glad to hear Ed Sexton is working with Revell, it will be interesting to see if they develop any new kits or just update existing tools and milk their catalog much like Round 2 has.

I was thinking that too Mike,  maybe doing it for a year or two for that cash flow .

13 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

The first three Monogram WoO kits represented the rides of Sammy Swindell, Steve Kinser and Brad Doty. Monogram (and subsequently Revell) would release numerous additional "decal-engineered" kits of Kinser's and Swindell's kits over the year.

I've always really liked the sprint car kis and I'm glad to hear the tool has gotten a major update. I'll be in for at least one.

4 minutes ago, martinfan5 said:

I was thinking that too Mike,  maybe doing it for a year or two for that cash flow .

Most likely he is there to help launch the US office and operations and get things running here in the US. I am not sure but my guess is that Ed has to be getting close to retirement, so this could be his way of using his wealth of knowledge and helping his retirement plan. 

Of course there is the notion he is doing it for the hobby!

10 minutes ago, mikemodeler said:

I had a version of the Chevy pickup for years (bought around 1994) and never built it, not sure if I will get one this time now that I have sold it off.

Still trying to figure out what kit it is that's being reissued. The only thing I can figure is it's that horrid old Revell street machine abortion. I got excited when I saw the pic of a bone-stock truck in the display; thought it might be a new tool. Guess not.

4 minutes ago, mikemodeler said:

Most likely he is there to help launch the US office and operations and get things running here in the US. I am not sure but my guess is that Ed has to be getting close to retirement, so this could be his way of using his wealth of knowledge and helping his retirement plan. 

Of course there is the notion he is doing it for the hobby!

As long as the check clears ;)

9 minutes ago, Allen Wrench said:

Still trying to figure out what kit it is that's being reissued. The only thing I can figure is it's that horrid old Revell street machine abortion. I got excited when I saw the pic of a bone-stock truck in the display; thought it might be a new tool. Guess not.

That kit has been around in several variations for years. I have built it in the past, first time back in the late seventies when it was shown as the Sport Pickup (Black truck on box). The version I had in the stash was a blue truck, issued by Monogram in the early 90's.

Don't look for any new truck kits beyond what Moebius is bringing out

29 minutes ago, Allen Wrench said:

I’m assuming it’s the Monogram Chevy Stepside 4x4 last seen in the early 90s molded in blue.  It oddly had a spare tire that mounted on the tailgate, something I’ve never seen on a 1:1. 

51 minutes ago, Allen Wrench said:

That tooling -- the ancient Revell-pre-Monogram-joint-venture tool -- needs to be scrapped , period . The worst of it is the exposed runners on the windscreen ! Zoinks ! Then there's the toyish engine , etc. --- just olde crusty poop that needs to go be scooped-up and disposed of.

The Monogram versions are much better (though inferior-versus-superior-MPC C/K series) , albeit not accurate . One nice touch is that the tail light lenses are moulded clear --- much easier to have realistic backup lamps vs. the painted white "option" .

4 hours ago, tim boyd said:

Not to contradict anyone, but Ed told me well before the Hobbico Bankruptcy that they had investigated in depth the possibility of doing a '57 Ranchero, but that there were so many changes to the tool required for an accurate replica that the project became unaffordable.    TIM 

I have no doubt that was true, particularly when the money started to run out from Hobbico.  But it's a fresh slate now, if there was ever a time to take a flier on a "risk" project - although I think you could easily sell 5k Rancheros globally - it would be now when the budget is fresh.  With everything they're releasing either being done just before hand ('68 Chevelle, Ford GT LM) or a variation of existing tooling '57 Ford Gasser, AAR Cuda, Updated Sprint Car that was also done awhile back, they're effectively just printing money over there.  All the tooling costs are wiped out, and the old argument of legacy costs of purchase is moot, we know exactly what that was - $50k for the trademarks & names, and $49,999 for all the tooling.  Blitz then sold a bunch of that tooling down to Atlantis further reducing what they actually paid for Revell U.S.A.  It wouldn't surprise me to find out that between the Mustang and Chevelle they made back everything they spent on our Revell, and now beyond box art, decal printing, and running the tool these releases are pure profit.

Edited by niteowl7710

This whole "creating cash flow" idea just boggles my mind! How long has Round2 owned AMT, MPC, Polar Lights, and Lindberg, and whatever else they may have? How much cash flow do they need before they can justify creating a new tool? In my mind, a new tool would create a fair amount of cash flow, especially if the company has paid attention to the "wants" of the hobbyists, and that would add to the cash flow they generate from re-issues. 

In the case of the New REVELL, is seems it should be even easier to take the chance on creating something the model builders actually want to build. I've been around this hobby since the early sixties, and I'm kinda tired of seeing the same kit, in different box art, with new decals. To me, it's still the same old kit, and I've seen the comments from very experienced builders about the shortcomings of those old kits. A little research on a fresh idea would go over well with me, for sure!

There’s not one kit in the bunch that I’m interested in... If Revell wants to do something to kickstart sales theyg could do a few modified kits starting with a nice ‘57 Nomad, a convertible version of the ‘60 Impala, and a 1950 Ford panel delivery truck from the pickup.... I understand they are wanting to generate some quick revenue to try to establish profits quickly but they should realize that anyone who wanted a Foose version of their kits already has a plenty.. Its high time to bring back the original edition of the ‘65 Impala, ‘68 Firebird, ‘67 Charger, ect... Maybe put a few new parts in the ‘36 Ford, ‘39 Chevy kits...It will be interesting to see which tool they plan to use for the AAR Cuda kit since they’ve screwed up every attempt so far the do one right...

Edited by Keesee17

28 minutes ago, Keesee17 said:

It will be interesting to see which tool they plan to use for the AAR Cuda kit since they’ve screwed up every attempt so far the do one right...

From what I understand (and what would make the most sense), the new AAR is going to be a modified reissue of the new tool 'Cuda. I have to wonder if that hoary tooling of the previous one is still around. The second go round of that one wasn't super horrendous----the first one was IMO absolutely TERRIBLE!