Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 2019

Mr mopar

I'll get one of the AAR 'Cuda's for sure, but other than that, the only thing Revell is releasing that I see that interests me is the Ford GT. I've already got 6 of the German issues but will likely still pick up a few more of the US releases simply because they'll be a bit cheaper than the German kit. 

As of today there are vendors on Ebay and a few others that have the Ford GT's in stock. I saw Tower Hobbies has them listed as in stock and there were at least 4 different US Ebay vendors with them up, all between $22 and $24. So it looks like they beat their initial estimation for a June release.

Ed wasn't giving out anything specific. Only to be reassured the model a kits are still coming back again. 

This was neat. Not the same toys from before. Ed said its around 1/22ish scale for all that cartoons matter. 

20190427_123918.jpg

20190427_123911.jpg

15 hours ago, Luc Janssens said:

The details on the sprint car look amazing, the former Elk Grove team did good.

BTW James, was there anything said on the future of Revell specific for the NA market I mean?

Also thanks for the photos!

I managed to get Ed to myself for a few minutes before I left for the day - 12 hour same day roundtrip, or else I would have answered earlier - 

In regards to the '57 Gasser - Ed told me that the Gasser parts were tooled specifically with the Del Rio inserts, and to get them to fit the '57 Custom they actually had to go back and modify that chassis plate/interior base tooling to make the inner front fenders a separate piece so that the headers would fit the 2 door.  So once that change was made (that chassis/interior piece on the Del Rio has always had separate little inserts you install on the factory stock version of the kit) the overall kit is a blending of the '57 Custom and the Gasser parts from the wagon.

In regards to the Model As - Ed said that from what he's been told from the Home Office they're scheduled to have a production run in Early 2020.

In regards to the future of Revell USA - Ed stated that projects will be a bi-company effort.  The German owners realized that they don't have the expertise to directly understand the U.S. market, so the U.S. team is in charge of selecting projects, and putting together presentations to the home office.  The U.S. team will in charge of on the ground development (eg measuring, R&D, etc) and also the back end kit development - box art, instructions, decal art, etc.  The German side will get the approved projects and do the kit design, and tooling layouts, and then the kits will produced in China by the existing Revell vendors.  Blitz is also very focused on getting the most of out the existing tooling, both in terms of releasing the other variants "hidden" in the tooling - such as the other Chevelle kits - as well as seeing what can be done within the older tooling.  Ed said that the U.S. team has a presentation next week about taking two older kits that are of the same "family of tooling", but aren't direct variants, and combining them into a 3rd "new" kit.  The ownership tasked them with figuring out what was needed to make that happen, and coming up with the box art for the project.

Good to hear that they are receptive to some new subjects, and maybe expand on some of what we already have. Pure speculation, but you have to wonder if a '57 Ranchero or Currier Delivery is possible. There is always a chance that they could do the same with the tri-five Chevys. The Pontiac and Oldsmobile's have been under served from the mid '50's thru the '60's. Just my hopes and dreams but I'm sure others have their own wish lists.   

Incidentally a kit that was on their board, that wasn't in Milwaukee, and has actually been released this week (I'm holding a vendor's kit in the picture) is a reissue of the SnapTite '57 Chevrolet.  You'll note in this release there are water slide decals in addition to the press n stick vinyl appliques.  I think that's a low buck investment that makes it just a bit more attractive to adult builders.

20190427_104820.thumb.jpg.96eb20c03408b530e110e9fcf6fee2a8.jpg

22 minutes ago, niteowl7710 said:

I managed to get Ed to myself for a few minutes before I left for the day - 12 hour same day roundtrip, or else I would have answered earlier - 

In regards to the '57 Gasser - Ed told me that the Gasser parts were tooled specifically with the Del Rio inserts, and to get them to fit the '57 Custom they actually had to go back and modify that chassis plate/interior base tooling to make the inner front fenders a separate piece so that the headers would fit the 2 door.  So once that change was made (that chassis/interior piece on the Del Rio has always had separate little inserts you install on the factory stock version of the kit) the overall kit is a blending of the '57 Custom and the Gasser parts from the wagon.

In regards to the Model As - Ed said that from what he's been told from the Home Office they're scheduled to have a production run in Early 2020.

In regards to the future of Revell USA - Ed stated that projects will be a bi-company effort.  The German owners realized that they don't have the expertise to directly understand the U.S. market, so the U.S. team is in charge of selecting projects, and putting together presentations to the home office.  The U.S. team will in charge of on the ground development (eg measuring, R&D, etc) and also the back end kit development - box art, instructions, decal art, etc.  The German side will get the approved projects and do the kit design, and tooling layouts, and then the kits will produced in China by the existing Revell vendors.  Blitz is also very focused on getting the most of out the existing tooling, both in terms of releasing the other variants "hidden" in the tooling - such as the other Chevelle kits - as well as seeing what can be done within the older tooling.  Ed said that the U.S. team has a presentation next week about taking two older kits that are of the same "family of tooling", but aren't direct variants, and combining them into a 3rd "new" kit.  The ownership tasked them with figuring out what was needed to make that happen, and coming up with the box art for the project.

I like what I read, though it's sad that there's no more US kit design, it's good to learn that they have a team here who knows and understands the North American market.

1 minute ago, Luc Janssens said:

I like what I read, though it's sad that there's no more US kit design, it's good to learn that they have a team here who knows and understands the North American market.

Maybe someday, but the U.S. operation is only a few people, not counting the warehouse staff, with Ed's role being a consultant and their show representative.

Edited by niteowl7710

1 minute ago, niteowl7710 said:

Maybe someday, but the U.S. operation is only a few people, not counting the warehouse staff, with Ed's role being a consultant and their show representative.

In this day and age,  (excluding tooling and production)  it's only a handful of people one needs to make things happen,  see Moebius and think Round-2 is also a few people.

29 minutes ago, Luc Janssens said:

In this day and age,  (excluding tooling and production)  it's only a handful of people one needs to make things happen,  see Moebius and think Round-2 is also a few people.

Granted, but unless I'm mistaken, nobody is "creating" the tooling for Moebius here in the States either, they're outsourcing all of that design and tooling "production" to Chinese vendors (beyond the actual production runs of the kits themselves).

17 hours ago, Jhedir6 said:

I'll get one of the AAR 'Cuda's for sure, but other than that, the only thing Revell is releasing that I see that interests me is the Ford GT. I've already got 6 of the German issues but will likely still pick up a few more of the US releases simply because they'll be a bit cheaper than the German kit. 

As of today there are vendors on Ebay and a few others that have the Ford GT's in stock. I saw Tower Hobbies has them listed as in stock and there were at least 4 different US Ebay vendors with them up, all between $22 and $24. So it looks like they beat their initial estimation for a June release.

Advisory to those that have gotten already, or plan on getting the Revell USA version of the new Ford GT Le Mans car, it looks like there are some misprints or just plain bad prints in the decal runs. A guy on a FB group I am part of posted pics of his decals sheet and the colours are off and the register of the print is mis-aligned. Also the sheet is smaller. The decals for the seatbelts /brakes/ engine and a few interior decals seem to be completely left off the print. 

Here's a link to the FB page so you can see the pics. I'll be holding off on any of the USA kits for the decals alone.  

US decals

German decals.

Edited by Jhedir6

Just now, Luc Janssens said:

A modus operandi which most likely ends when the design is done by just one team, instead of two working (semi) independently.

The file on the decals is the same, it's just been cropped on the the US version. But the printer is definitely different. The quality is not even close. 

4 minutes ago, Jhedir6 said:

The file on the decals is the same, it's just been cropped on the the US version. But the printer is definitely different. The quality is not even close. 

That's what I meant. Not different like drawn differently, but the quality is off, there's also a scaling issue if you see the U.S. one first hand, things are not quite the same size as the AG sheet. Plus as you pointed out the "bottom" is missing.

6 minutes ago, niteowl7710 said:

That's what I meant. Not different like drawn differently, but the quality is off, there's also a scaling issue if you see the U.S. one first hand, things are not quite the same size as the AG sheet. Plus as you pointed out the "bottom" is missing.

Couldnt tell from the pics that the sizing was off, but I'm now glad I've got all the German releases. If you go the after market decal route it shouldn't matter, but some of the after market sets still dont have all the decals needed, as the engine decals are still needed off the kit sheet, and the valve cover decals are missing from the US sheet.

On 4/28/2019 at 6:37 AM, niteowl7710 said:

That is an awesome news, and a very wise decision made by the German owners of Revell.  Sounds like they have their act together.  Nice to see this in today's world of failed mergers and takeovers.

23 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

Incidentally a kit that was on their board, that wasn't in Milwaukee, and has actually been released this week (I'm holding a vendor's kit in the picture) is a reissue of the SnapTite '57 Chevrolet.  You'll note in this release there are water slide decals in addition to the press n stick vinyl appliques.  I think that's a low buck investment that makes it just a bit more attractive to adult builders.

20190427_104820.thumb.jpg.96eb20c03408b530e110e9fcf6fee2a8.jpg

This is a great kit to see again, tho sure wish the wheels & tyres were a bit wider. I like the revised box art too.

On 4/28/2019 at 9:37 AM, niteowl7710 said:

Ed said that the U.S. team has a presentation next week about taking two older kits that are of the same "family of tooling", but aren't direct variants, and combining them into a 3rd "new" kit.  The ownership tasked them with figuring out what was needed to make that happen, and coming up with the box art for the project.

Hmmm...............1969 Firebird Trans Am from the '69 Camaro and '68 Firebird? I mentioned this car to Ed directly several years ago at the NNL East and he shook his head in agreement.

We shall see!

As James reported - In regards to the Model As - Ed said that from what he's been told from the Home Office they're scheduled to have a production run in Early 2020.

This certainly good news. I still have a couple of roadsters and coupes in my stash but probably could not build a complete model cause I have robbed so many of the great parts for other projects.

Hopefully more hot rod kits will follow like the other Deuce varieties - Sedan, 3-window and roadster