Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 2019

Mr mopar

56 minutes ago, Phildaupho said:

As James reported - In regards to the Model As - Ed said that from what he's been told from the Home Office they're scheduled to have a production run in Early 2020.

This certainly good news. I still have a couple of roadsters and coupes in my stash but probably could not build a complete model cause I have robbed so many of the great parts for other projects.

Hopefully more hot rod kits will follow like the other Deuce varieties - Sedan, 3-window and roadster

Yes, every chance I get I write 1930/31 Pick-up in his suggestion book that could go on the Model A chassis.

Does anyone have an idea whether the 340 engine inside this upcoming 1970 AAR Cuda will be made of newly-tooled engine parts, or is it possible that this engine will be a pick-up from some vintage Monogram/Revell tool, (like the poorly-produced 1/24 Monogram/Revell-attempt at an AAR Cuda that was produced back in the 1990's)?

They wouldn't pick-up a vintage 1/24 engine and try to make it drop-into a more recently tooled 1/25 scale kit... would they?

Edited by '70 Grande

4 minutes ago, '70 Grande said:

Does anyone have an idea whether the 340 engine inside this upcoming 1970 AAR Cuda will be made of newly-tooled engine parts, or is it possible that this engine will be a pick-up from some vintage Monogram/Revell tool, (like the poorly-produced 1/24 Monogram/Revell-attempt at an AAR Cuda that was produced back in the 1990's)?

They wouldn't pick-up a vintage 1/24 engine and try to make it drop-into a more recently tooled 1/25 scale kit... would they?

I REALLY hope not! It would be a great opportunity for an accurate Mopar small block in 1/25 scale. Judging by all of the other details in their Hemi Cuda Kit, it should be a nice engine, but then again, Revell had a 440 Six Pack pose as a 340 Six Pack as the optional engine in their 1/25 Challenger R/T - T/A kit!!!

20 minutes ago, '70 Grande said:

I hope that that archaic 340 Six Pack / Six Barrel which dates-back to c.1983 hath been laid to rest . It was oversized and lacked detail ( but no more lacking than any of the other Monogram offerings from that era)  , the worst-of-which was its carburetors ! Just blobs !

I haven't much faith in the (hopefully) new tool 340 Six Barrel , at least from what I've seen (the single photo shared by Tim Boyd) --- those 2300's look like better-than-the-original-blobs-but-are-still-lacking-details . Again , Chief Joseph to the rescue there !

Hope that Revell isn't passing up a 2-In-1 opportunity with the AAR ---- would like to see it available with a single 4 barrel induction / air cleaner , stock 340 four barrel exhaust , standard 'Cuda bonnet , and the correct exhaust outlet rear valance .

4 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

I hope that that archaic 340 Six Pack / Six Barrel which dates-back to c.1983 hath been laid to rest . It was oversized and lacked detail ( but no more lacking than any of the other Monogram offerings from that era)  , the worst-of-which was its carburetors ! Just blobs !

I haven't much faith in the (hopefully) new tool 340 Six Barrel , at least from what I've seen (the single photo shared by Tim Boyd) --- those 2300's look like better-than-the-original-blobs-but-are-still-lacking-details . Again , Chief Joseph to the rescue there !

Hope that Revell isn't passing up a 2-In-1 opportunity with the AAR ---- would like to see it available with a single 4 barrel induction / air cleaner , stock 340 four barrel exhaust , standard 'Cuda bonnet , and the correct exhaust outlet rear valance .

From what I saw of the test shot AAR at the NNL East, the wheel well lips still seemed too big. I was hoping they would have trimmed those down a bit but I guess not. Also, the quarter window shape is still lacking the sharp corners, but that's an easy fix.

On 4/30/2019 at 12:52 AM, MrObsessive said:

From what I saw of the test shot AAR at the NNL East, the wheel well lips still seemed too big. I was hoping they would have trimmed those down a bit but I guess not. Also, the quarter window shape is still lacking the sharp corners, but that's an easy fix.

Me too, Bill.

In discussing the changes to the body that would have improved authenticity, I learned from Revell that the tooling process used in China does not lend itself to the types of in-cycle body refinements that used to be possible with the 1/10th scale wood master/pantograph to steel tooling method used previously by American kitmakers.  I can't recapture that conversation with any sort of clarity here, but just have to take Revell at their word.  

Between you, Bill, others who researched this topic, and myself who have all invested significant time in relaying these potential enhancements to Revell management, we can't say we didn't give it a good try.  Having said that, the improvements we've suggested are not beyond the capabilities of reasonably experienced modelers, but only if they have the time to invest in making the improvements.  

Nonetheless, I am still looking forward to the kit and will probably build it (albeit with some of those refinements) when it hits the market...TIM 

While this is not 100% on topic here,  what are the chances that Revell would add gasser parts to their Tri-5 Chevys? They make a nice '55 hardtop, '56 sedan and Nomad and '57 150 and Bel Air sedans that are aching for this treatment. The reality is there were and are WAY more Chevy than Ford gassers out there. It would be cool if they could make each be a little different, but interchangable ( or easily modified to be). Items like different style wheels, Cal Custom and other scoops, fenderwell  headers, traction bars, engine parts, etc. Plus vintage sponsor and number decals for people who actually want to build drag versions. Like they did with the '32 Fords. I am pretty sure they would sell like crazy. Nothing against the Fords, I have every version of the '57 Revell made, and will get a couple of the new gasser when it comes out, I just would love to see the same idea applied to their Tri-5 kits.....

20 hours ago, larman said:

While this is not 100% on topic here,  what are the chances that Revell would add gasser parts to their Tri-5 Chevys? They make a nice '55 hardtop, '56 sedan and Nomad and '57 150 and Bel Air sedans that are aching for this treatment. The reality is there were and are WAY more Chevy than Ford gassers out there. It would be cool if they could make each be a little different, but interchangable ( or easily modified to be). Items like different style wheels, Cal Custom and other scoops, fenderwell  headers, traction bars, engine parts, etc. Plus vintage sponsor and number decals for people who actually want to build drag versions. Like they did with the '32 Fords. I am pretty sure they would sell like crazy. Nothing against the Fords, I have every version of the '57 Revell made, and will get a couple of the new gasser when it comes out, I just would love to see the same idea applied to their Tri-5 kits.....

You make a very good point on the Gasser option. I think if they get enough positive feed back on their '57 Ford gasser kits they might see the opportunity to reissue any of their tri-five Chevys with the gasser option. I'm actually surprised they didn't offer it that way instead of the Ford based on just what you mentioned about the number of Chevrolet Gassers raced.  

Especially the '55 and '57. Both are so Iconic that for most casual modelers and spectators, mention the word, "Gasser" and the first cars they will picture are the '41 Willys and the '57 Chevy. Talk about leaving money on the table............

For all the chatter here on the 'Net about the cost of new tooling, I've read suggestions for product extensions of existing tooling, that would NOT require new bodies, just Wheels, Engine Upgrades, or other small, detail parts, that when combined with new decal sheets, would produce new product with minimal investment. I find myself really wondering exactly "Who" is making the Marketing Decisions at our favorite Plastic Producers. What 'secret info' do they see, that causes them to reject what seems to 'us' as "No Brainer" options on making kits? I know that there is 'something' that causes these choices to be made. No Company or Owner wants to lose money or have a kit not sell because they guessed wrong. And, I understand that the Modern Model Companies", consists of a "Band of Brothers" who are all (or mostly) True Believers.  They all want the company to succeed on the clearly limited resources available in today's shrunken market. So why do some (apparently) obvious modifications never happen?

Well, I suppose, if I want the real answers I need to Win the PowerBall and purchase one a model company of my own.

The Tri-5s are kits tooled without a gasser option though. So making one would require tooling up the engine, drive train, suspension, wheels, interior parts, etc, along with going in and reverse engineering the chassis and interior to accept all of those new parts and modifying the inner fenders to accept the straight exhaust all without destroying the ability to reissue them factory stock. 

It's all a matter of balancing risk, all of the above is pushing north of $40k worth of new tooling assuming it wouldn't require an entirely new chassis pan piece. $40k by 5k kits is a $8 upcharge per kit. You'd need to sell all 3 of the Tri-5 2 doors and maybe the '56 Nomad as Gassers to make that tooling amortize at a rate that wouldn't make them cost significantly more than other Revell kits.

Edited by niteowl7710

5 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

The Tri-5s are kits tooled without a gasser option though. So making one would require tooling up the engine, drive train, suspension, wheels, interior parts, etc, along with going in and reverse engineering the chassis and interior to accept all of those new parts and modifying the inner fenders to accept the straight exhaust all without destroying the ability to reissue them factory stock. 

It's all a matter of balancing risk, all of the above is pushing north of $40k worth of new tooling assuming it wouldn't require an entirely new chassis pan piece. $40k by 5k kits is a $8 upcharge per kit. You'd need to sell all 3 of the Tri-5 2 doors and maybe the '56 Nomad as Gassers to make that tooling amortize at a rate that wouldn't make them cost significantly more than other Revell kits.

Maybe by tooling an all-new '57 Nomad-Sedan Delivery Gasser some of the changes can be introduced, but yes it will take some careful planning and design to make the parts interchangeable with the already existing Tri-Five Chevy tooling.

Bottom line is, will there be a good return on investment?

17 hours ago, Phildaupho said:

I bet some of the parts from the '62 Corvette Gasser kit could be used to make Tri-5 Gassers !!??

They could certainly use the digital files to reproduce new parts for Tri-5 gassers, but the way tooling is designed, it's not really practical to use existing inserts that way.  Luc's idea of creating it in another kit from the same family is more feasible.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/28/2019 at 11:12 AM, Jhedir6 said:

Couldnt tell from the pics that the sizing was off, but I'm now glad I've got all the German releases. If you go the after market decal route it shouldn't matter, but some of the after market sets still dont have all the decals needed, as the engine decals are still needed off the kit sheet, and the valve cover decals are missing from the US sheet.

I just received my kit and the printing looks perfect, but the missing decals are admittedly bothering me, especially the decals that go on the outside of the head lights. I reached out to Revell Germany to see if they'll sell me a sheet from their version of the kit. 

10 minutes ago, Turberticus said:

I just received my kit and the printing looks perfect, but the missing decals are admittedly bothering me, especially the decals that go on the outside of the head lights. I reached out to Revell Germany to see if they'll sell me a sheet from their version of the kit. 

There are some US vendors that have the German version in stock and the price is only a few $$ more than the US release. For the few extra $$, I'd definitely go with the German release. It's good you got a decent set of decals. A FB group I'm part of, a guy posted a pic and the register was off by a good 1-2mm. Doesn't sound like a lot, but when you see it, you can really see it. 

4 minutes ago, Jhedir6 said:

There are some US vendors that have the German version in stock and the price is only a few $$ more than the US release. For the few extra $$, I'd definitely go with the German release.

I have to agree with this,  you get a much better quality decal sheet, and you get the full decal sheet as intended.

Edited by martinfan5

13 minutes ago, Jhedir6 said:

There are some US vendors that have the German version in stock and the price is only a few $$ more than the US release. For the few extra $$, I'd definitely go with the German release. It's good you got a decent set of decals. A FB group I'm part of, a guy posted a pic and the register was off by a good 1-2mm. Doesn't sound like a lot, but when you see it, you can really see it. 

Thanks I'll check that out. Yes I saw the pics and it looked pretty bad! The Revell Germany kit is a bit more expensive so I'll wait and see what Revell Germany says about purchasing their decal sheet. 

10 minutes ago, martinfan5 said:

I have to agree with this,  you get a much better quality decal sheet, and you get the full decal sheet as intended.

Yes, the full sheet is what I'm most interested in not to mention a better quality print. 

Edited by Turberticus

26 minutes ago, Turberticus said:

Thanks I'll check that out. Yes I saw the pics and it looked pretty bad! The Revell Germany kit is a bit more expensive so I'll wait and see what Revell Germany says about purchasing their decal sheet. 

Yes, the full sheet is what I'm most interested in not to mention a better quality print. 

Just by way of a quick comparison, now I did't search every site, you can see the minimal difference in price between the kits. Both from US online vendors. 

Tower Hobbies $23.99 US release

https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?I=LXLHML&P=ML

Upscale Hobbies $25.95 Germany release

https://upscalehobbies.com/1-24-1-25-race-cars/2244-revell-ford-gt-le-mans-124-scale-model-kit.html?search_query=ford+gt&results=373

1 minute ago, Jhedir6 said:

Just by way of a quick comparison, now I did't search every site, you can see the minimal difference in price between the kits. Both from US online vendors. 

https://upscalehobbies.com/1-24-1-25-race-cars/2244-revell-ford-gt-le-mans-124-scale-model-kit.html?search_query=ford+gt&results=373

Thanks, I saw that too but the item number is a Revell US number - Part No: 85-4418. The Revell Germany number is 07041. It looks like they just used the Revell Germany box image.

1 minute ago, Jhedir6 said:

Model Roundup lists both releases, $5 apart  ($24.90 and $29.90).    I got the RoG release from HLJ last month, I may pick up one of the US releases for parts (want to kit bash w/a Mustang).