Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 2019

Mr mopar

3 minutes ago, Turberticus said:

Thanks, I saw that too but the item number is a Revell US number - Part No: 85-4418. The Revell Germany number is 07041. It looks like they just used the Revell Germany box image.

Yes, the box art pic is the same and they use different kit numbers but it's the same kit inside. Of course minus the decal issue, and the German release has a really nice colour instruction booklet, yes booklet, not the folded sheet US kits have. 

4 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

Model Roundup lists both releases, $5 apart  ($24.90 and $29.90).    I got the RoG release from HLJ last month, I may pick up one of the US releases for parts (want to kit bash w/a Mustang). 

I'm gonna pick up some of the US kits when they likely hit Hobby Lobby (if they do) simply for the parts. I've got a couple more Fantasy liveries I want to do so the issues for the decals sheets wont bother me too much. Also there are a lot of aftermarket sets already and more to follow, Ford's suppose to be running 4 heritage liveries at Le Mans and Keating is running the Wynn's scheme, so there will be choices. Hopefully people doing these sheets will see the missing decals and add them in to their products so people that have US release can get the missing decals.

I have yet to see a U.S. set of decals that fully in register and with the right colors.  So it looks like the entire run of decals is bad.  Probably the best example out how out of register the sheet is for those with U.S. kits is the fact that the arrows on the body work slam locks (that show the rescue crews how and where to detach body work in case of a fire) should be ON the slam lock decal, every set I've seen - dozens of them at this point - have the arrow printed beside the slam lock.59961178_10219188141278555_7233489245959094272_o1.jpg.dd3a557deece12051aecf0722f1a511a.jpg59961178_10219188141278555_7233489245959094272_o2.jpg.cced8ff8abf4a46c3f226bed4bbbd6db.jpg

The blue backed decals are the U.S. ones.  It's like the entire thing is missing a color coat or something, and some of what did print on the last print run before the top coat is off register.  The Ford logos are almost black, the Castrol Edge decals are missing an entire white border, and those slam locks are not only out of register, they're the wrong color as well.  Decal #55 doesn't even have arrows printed on the U.S. sheet.  Not to go off on a tangent, but who approved these?

4 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

I have yet to see a U.S. set of decals that fully in register and with the right colors.  So it looks like the entire run of decals is bad.  Probably the best example out how out of register the sheet is for those with U.S. kits is the fact that the arrows on the body work slam locks (that show the rescue crews how and where to detach body work in case of a fire) should be ON the slam lock decal, every set I've seen - dozens of them at this point - have the arrow printed beside the slam lock.

The blue backed decals are the U.S. ones.  It's like the entire thing is missing a color coat or something, and some of what did print on the last print run before the top coat is off register.  The Ford logos are almost black, the Castrol Edge decals are missing an entire white border, and those slam locks are not only out of register, they're the wrong color as well.  Decal #55 doesn't even have arrows printed on the U.S. sheet.  Not to go off on a tangent, but who approved these?

That's not out of register - these were deliberately (for some reason) designed to be different. Out of register color are off by small fractions of an inch. These decals are clearly different by-design.

As for the difference in color, was each sheet scanned separately?  It to me looks like the difference in the background paper color messed around with the scanner's settings.

Edited by peteski

Ya know what? You're right all of us who have these kits and have compared the decals in real life are clearly morons who can't see straight.

It can't possibly be a printing error. Nooooooo, Revell is perfect within these digital wall.

I'm done arguing with people on here, go buy your cheap U.S. kits with it's cheap not printed by Cartograf decals and have hoot having it look like a dumpster fire in final result compared to an AG sourced kit.

Edited by niteowl7710

On 4/27/2019 at 11:24 PM, blubaja said:

Ed wasn't giving out anything specific. Only to be reassured the model a kits are still coming back again. 

This was neat. Not the same toys from before. Ed said its around 1/22ish scale for all that cartoons matter. 

20190427_123918.jpg

20190427_123911.jpg

Okay, might have to get this one!  :)  I like that he's full detail.

13 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

Ya know what? You're right all of us who have these kits and have compared the decals in real life are clearly morons who can't see straight.

It can't possibly be a printing error. Nooooooo, Revell is perfect within these digital wall.

I'm done arguing with people on here, go buy your cheap U.S. kits with it's cheap not printed by Cartograf decals and have hoot having it look like a dumpster fire in final result compared to an AG sourced kit.

I'm not sure what you are saying here.  Sounds like you are not happy with my opinion about your comments.  I responded  specifically to your " I have yet to see a U.S. set of decals that fully in register and with the right colors.  So it looks like the entire run of decals is bad.  Probably the best example out how out of register the sheet is for those with U.S. kits is the fact that the arrows on the body work slam locks (that show the rescue crews how and where to detach body work in case of a fire) should be ON the slam lock decal, every set I've seen - dozens of them at this point - have the arrow printed beside the slam lock. " statement.  Come on, I'm pretty sure that you realize that "out of register" colors on decals are off by very small (but visible) distance.  The example you show is clearly not just out of register - it is printed from a different artwork.

Decal #40 has the black areas flipped and the (different color) arrows placed outside of the black areas. Decal #40 uses the same color for arrows and lettering, while the other one has arrows in different color. Decal # 45 also has arrows of different color and different location.  There are several other decals which clearly show a difference in artwork, rather than bad misalignment of the colors.  The word "EDGE" in #14 is has solid fill on one decal and stripes on the other decal.  This is different artwork - no question about.

One thing I don't understand is why there are 2 separate sets of decals when Revell US and Revell Germany  are now one company.

28 minutes ago, peteski said:

One thing I don't understand is why there are 2 separate sets of decals when Revell US and Revell Germany  are now one company.

Revell US/Germany were one company since 2012 when Hobbico purchased Revell AG. 

1 hour ago, martinfan5 said:

Revell US/Germany were one company since 2012 when Hobbico purchased Revell AG. 

The question remains the same: why separate (and different) decals for the same kit released by each branch of the company?  The plastic is the same.

24 minutes ago, peteski said:

The question remains the same: why separate (and different) decals for the same kit released by each branch of the company?  The plastic is the same.

The one possible for the lack of decals on for the US boxed version is to make the sheet smaller for better fit in the US box( that is the only thing I can currently come up with)

The one possible for the lack of decals on for the US boxed version is to make the sheet smaller for better fit in the US box( that is the only thing I can currently come up with)

That could be a reasonable explanation if the decal sheet is large, but in this specific example both decal sheets have same size and are depicting the same prototype car..

13 minutes ago, peteski said:

That could be a reasonable explanation if the decal sheet is large, but in this specific example both decal sheets have same size and are depicting the same prototype car..

But they are not the same size,  here is a better photo of both sheets, and its very clear the EU sheet is bigger , I overlapped the US sheet over the EU

OgTckLr.png

czqlM2P.png

6 minutes ago, martinfan5 said:

But they are not the same size,  here is a better photo of both sheets, and its very clear the EU sheet is bigger , I overlapped the US sheet over the EU

I see.  And the EU version is too large to fit into US kit's box?

So, the whole "US version is out of register" thing does not apply here at all. Duh!  And the Copyright on one is 2017, while the other is 2018.  The newer decal has a lot more graphics on it.

Just now, peteski said:

I see.  And the EU version is too large to fit into US kit's box?

So, the whole "US version is out of register" thing does not apply here at all. Duh!  And the Copyright on one is 2017, while the other is 2018.  The newer decal has a lot more graphics on it.

Its a guess as to why the bottom section was cut off to help make them fit.

Just checked. Nope, the Germany sheet will fit in the standard Revell US box. I dont have the GT kit in the US box yet, but I assume its the same as all the other Revell US boxes. The sheet fits, not a lot of room around the outside but it can definitely move around.

2 hours ago, martinfan5 said:

Since they have different copyright years, the latest one dated 2018 is more complete.  Seems like they revised the original 2017 version and added more items to it.

the 2018 version shows that it was printed in Italy (likely by Cartograf). I wonder if the 2107 sheet was also printed by them?

Edited by peteski

11 hours ago, Jhedir6 said:

Just checked. Nope, the Germany sheet will fit in the standard Revell US box. I dont have the GT kit in the US box yet, but I assume its the same as all the other Revell US boxes. The sheet fits, not a lot of room around the outside but it can definitely move around.

Alright then, one guess down.

23 hours ago, peteski said:

I'd guess that it would cost more to ship the cartograph decals from Italy, to china, or wherever they decide to box the usa kits, so we just get the chinese junk decals. At this point, when revell overall is shipping the same kits in the awful GmbH boxes, with the great decals, and the usa boxes with the awful decals, AT THE SAME TIME, why not just sell the GmbH kits in one size box, with good decals??‍♂️??‍♂️. Even the new owners know how to play the old game. 

In any event, just from what I've seen in this thread and live in my Revell AG kit, the decals alone justify the German offering - my gamble with the boxing paid off this time. 

The American version might be better indicated for aftermarket liveries, for whatever modest price advantage it offers here in the States.

On 5/14/2019 at 10:15 PM, peteski said:

I'm not sure what you are saying here.  Sounds like you are not happy with my opinion about your comments.  I responded  specifically to your " I have yet to see a U.S. set of decals that fully in register and with the right colors.  So it looks like the entire run of decals is bad.  Probably the best example out how out of register the sheet is for those with U.S. kits is the fact that the arrows on the body work slam locks (that show the rescue crews how and where to detach body work in case of a fire) should be ON the slam lock decal, every set I've seen - dozens of them at this point - have the arrow printed beside the slam lock. " statement.  Come on, I'm pretty sure that you realize that "out of register" colors on decals are off by very small (but visible) distance.  The example you show is clearly not just out of register - it is printed from a different artwork.

Decal #40 has the black areas flipped and the (different color) arrows placed outside of the black areas. Decal #40 uses the same color for arrows and lettering, while the other one has arrows in different color. Decal # 45 also has arrows of different color and different location.  There are several other decals which clearly show a difference in artwork, rather than bad misalignment of the colors.  The word "EDGE" in #14 is has solid fill on one decal and stripes on the other decal.  This is different artwork - no question about.

I do this printing stuff for a living. The USA decals ARE NOT out of register. If they were, they would show slight errors in several places, not the large error of the arrow. Wat they are, is poorly designed. Maybe the slam locks are correct for some liveries. Or maybe this was a way to justify to American modelers to buy the RoG kit.