Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 2019

Mr mopar

10 hours ago, dodgefever said:

I will never understand why some people like huge out-of-proportion wheels on old cars, it just doesn't work. 

Those "some people" used to work at Revell so....? And yes. Bad wheel design on top of a bad choice of vehicle. Some bigger than stock dimension wheels work. These, do not. The licensed tires are nice to have back. 

On 6/27/2019 at 12:45 PM, Chuck Kourouklis said:

Pretty sure it's a reissue, guessing Monogram by the 4x4 stance - though I don't know enough to rule out the old Revell tooling just yet.

Re the 'Cuda: yeah, the body's the thing I've been very deliberately leaving alone up till now.  For anyone wondering, there are no changes to the basic shell from Hemi to AAR that I've made out so far.

Here's what I think gives the body a swollen impression: the first thing to grab my attention in those preview pics years ago was actually not the over-flared wheel arches (though those are obvious), but the sheer, billboard expanse of the front fender sheet metal just over the wheels.  What comparison with 1:1 pics revealed to me was that previous kits were a little too lean in this area, but this looks over the line the other way, just a bit too tall.  After knocking down the wheel arch flares, I would try to file the tops of the front fenders incrementally down, and if I could somehow cheat that midline crease just above the arches upward a bit by sanding it, maybe that would make that upper front fender expanse a bit less "thick" looking.

And yes, the DLO seems pinched, bloating the expanses surrounding it - but again, incrementally.  I'd redo the drip moldings upward by about the width of the molding that's on there now, less than 1mm, and after that I'd look to knock the doors down at the beltline ever so slightly if the first adjustment didn't fix the problem on its own.

Which is not a knock on anyone who thinks the body is fine the way it is.   Revell/Monogram's previous bars were pretty low, but this is still clearly the best they've done overall with a 'Cuda. You can take or leave the body and still appreciate the attention lavished on the other parts and options.  The 340 trees make a very positive first impression.

Just my own two cents which coming from Canada means my nothing..I think its where the plastic and the kit is designed..Over there they don't know what a proper "E" body Cuda or Challenger should look like..They make the molds and pour the bad plastic we are getting now..

7 hours ago, moparfarmer said:

Just my own two cents which coming from Canada means my nothing..I think its where the plastic and the kit is designed..Over there they don't know what a proper "E" body Cuda or Challenger should look like..They make the molds and pour the bad plastic we are getting now..

Given the sharp rises in accuracy and tooling on the military side of 100% Chinese companies such as Takom, Trumpeter, Rye Field, Meng, and on down the list, frequently of subject matter where there are very few if any surviving examples upon which to base the kit (Takom's magnificent full-interior King Tigers for instance) I would tend to believe it has little if anything to do with whether or not Chinese tool cutters have ever seen a 'Cuda. 

It may be Chinese manufacturing, but I'm willing to wager it wasn't the Chinese who came up with the initial CAD file that cut that tooling. Rather, it's just the terminally stunted design philosophy of Western model car kits that are trapped in the hazy fog of days when a T-bucket with a chrome helmet was the biggest thing in the world.

8 hours ago, blubaja said:

And yes. Bad wheel design on top of a bad choice of vehicle. Some bigger than stock dimension wheels work. 

Not to mention the stock ride height. Any car is going to look goofy with larger diameter wheels at stock height. The '70 T/A could look sharp with the right wheels and a decent lowering.

Guys, can we not do this "I don't like this style choice, blah,blah,blah" thing in the middle of all this new kit info?  

Yes, we're all entitled to our opinions. In a thread about the new offerings of a particular company, it's one thing to comment on a specific aspect of a kit that you don't care for, but it's quickly devolved into general statements about trends people don't care for. These kind of things tend to take a thread off the rails very quickly, which is what is already starting to happen 

Just my opinion. Thanks

7 hours ago, Mr. Metallic said:

Guys, can we not do this "I don't like this style choice, blah,blah,blah" thing in the middle of all this new kit info?  

Yes, we're all entitled to our opinions. In a thread about the new offerings of a particular company, it's one thing to comment on a specific aspect of a kit that you don't care for, but it's quickly devolved into general statements about trends people don't care for. These kind of things tend to take a thread off the rails very quickly, which is what is already starting to happen 

Just my opinion. Thanks

Sorry, but everyone has to stop liking things I don't like, and they have to do it NOW!

8 hours ago, Mr. Metallic said:

Just my opinion. Thanks

I totally agree!!

Seriously, trends come and go, and honestly, I'm not crazy about most of the custom options the model companies have foisted on me over the years.   It didn't matter because they had the parts to build into something I did like.  At first glance, it looks like you can build a very nice stock Firebird, and it's not like anyone's forcing you to use the parts you don't want.

10 hours ago, Richard Bartrop said:

Seriously, trends come and go, and honestly, I'm not crazy about most of the custom options the model companies have foisted on me over the years.   It didn't matter because they had the parts to build into something I did like.  At first glance, it looks like you can build a very nice stock Firebird, and it's not like anyone's forcing you to use the parts you don't want.

Fully agree!

As regards the kit, this looks a lot like a re-release/ re-box of their former „Motor-City Muscle“ kit and yes, that contained stock wheels to build a nice 70 Firebird.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/revell-85-2026-70-pontiac-firebird--111902

21 hours ago, Mr. Metallic said:

In threads like this, whether it's Revell or Round 2, I find there's a lot of undue criticism of the operations, mainly from people who don't understand business realities. Those of us who are business savvy, not just the model business, but business overall, understand the situations, the restrictions, bandwidth, budgets, and how / why some of the decisions have to be made.  

On 7/3/2019 at 8:35 PM, Hawk312 said:

POSSIBLE MAJOR PLOT TWIST ON THE DECAL ISSUE:

I was just looking at the box of the original Revell AAR Cuda, and it looks as though it might possibly have the correct shape decal. Now granted, they may be a little big for this kit, but if it is mainly in just the length, some strobes could be cut out and it might just work on this kit. And THAT would mean that the original AAR Cuda kit might actually be good for something!! :o :o:o

For those that are wondering, here is the first gen AAR Cuda kit decals against the current release. As you can see, there is more of an "arch" to the current kit stripes as opposed to the old one. The old kit stripes are also much longer which I think we all expected, but they are a little over half an inch or so longer, or about a scale foot! :o:o

20190728_154703.jpg

Maybe it was those great mid-'90s sheets from Lindberg that prodded a change to something more competitive, I don't know - but ever since they changed carriers around 2000 or so, Revell has reliably turned out some great decals.

The domestic-release Ford GT may be a little shorted relative to the German release, and yup, we got some deviations on the AAR sheet.  The dashboard graphic for the '70 Charger R/T, on the other hand, is one of the best I've ever applied - dead in-register not just in itself, but also with the engraved plastic beneath.

2 minutes ago, Chuck Kourouklis said:

Maybe it was those great mid-'90s sheets from Lindberg that prodded a change to something more competitive, I don't know - but ever since they changed carriers around 2000 or so, Revell has reliably turned out some great decals.

The domestic-release Ford GT may be a little shorted relative to the German release, and yup, we got some deviations on the AAR sheet.  The dashboard graphic for the '70 Charger R/T, on the other hand, is one of the best I've ever applied - dead in-register not just in itself, but also with the engraved plastic beneath.

I was impressed with decals in the new NASCAR kits, I mean they were about a 100x times better than the ones they did in the 90's

14 hours ago, Chuck Kourouklis said:

The dashboard graphic for the '70 Charger R/T, on the other hand, is one of the best I've ever applied - dead in-register not just in itself, but also with the engraved plastic beneath.

That's great to hear. They're usually at least a tiny bit off.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, JimC said:

Model Roundup website lists the Tom Daniel Baja Bandito as delayed “due to licensing issues.”

Man, I hope whatever the issue is it gets straightened out. I’ve been wanting this kit (or the Firebomb) for a long time. 

I have one preordered want 2 but one is all I can afford right now..

9 hours ago, JimC said:

Model Roundup website lists the Tom Daniel Baja Bandito as delayed “due to licensing issues.”

Man, I hope whatever the issue is it gets straightened out. I’ve been wanting this kit (or the Firebomb) for a long time. 

It's got to be something with VW Licensing ......... Round 2 has the same thing with the Zinger VW !

VW requires you to submit a final copy of the item to them for final licensing approval.  Which means someone - in Revell's case whomever is building their stuff in Germany - needs to be hooked up with a production kit with a production box, decals, etc and then has to build the kit and show it to VW's licensing department.