Model Cars Magazine Forum

55 Nomad

James2

Had a good time with friends Saturday at the "Stark Scale Model Club" Show, I found this little gem in the swap meet area and it just seemed to call out to me.

So what I thought I would do is, a restor/fresh'n up. I kinda like the color so I will attempt to polish the body or maybe clear coat it. I was thinking about a white roof also. Some Bare Metal Foil will be added, along with a new set of wider tires and keeping the stock wheel covers. I'll be fixing the rear bumper and searching for the front bumper and turn signals. A couple of things under the hood perhaps but mainly working on just the appearance for now. Not sure what to do with the interior just yet. Also I thought I'd make it more interesting by tracking the cost involved as the build progresses.

Initial cost   $10

2v2E7DyHNxAghwd.jpg2v2E7DyaWxAghwd.jpg2v2E7DyZnxAghwd.jpg2v2E7DyeGxAghwd.jpg

Edited by James2

Sunday I took a few minutes and started the dis-assembly. I'm pretty happy with the shape the body is in and I believe the interior will be easily updated. Let's hope the glass is ok and comes out in one piece. The glue was typically thick in most areas but brittle enough to separate the pieces easily.

2v2E7jQHrxAghwd.jpg

At least until I turned the body over. These spots were pretty heavy and I didn't even try to break the interior tub free. I used a small razor saw blade mounted in my knife handle and was able to saw through one of the front connections without damage. After returning home from work this weekend I'll try the other side. But the rear point I think I'll try scribe it loose with a x-acto blade in reverse.

One of the other things I'll be doing is working on this sometimes from the hotel where I'm staying during the week. Should be interesting! And I think I found some bumpers in my spare parts box, which adds no new cost to the project so far.

And thanks for the interest and comments everyone...

2v2E7jQaGxAghwd.jpg

2v2E7jQenxAghwd.jpg

Edited by James2

Thanks again guys, here's todays update.

I managed to finess the interior tub free and removed the glass with only a small break. This piece had a lot of glue on it as did most of all the other connections, which came apart relatively easily.

2v2ERguC5xAghwd.jpg2v2ERguVdxAghwd.jpg2v2ERguhyxAghwd.jpg2v2ERguWGxAghwd.jpg

Next up I decided to clean up the flash, most young modelers miss this step. I carefully scraped and cut the inside edges to remove the unwanted flash but leave the paint intact. There are a of couple scribe lines on the front grill area and rear quarters that will have to stay since my plan is to not repaint.

2v2ERguLNxAghwd.jpg2v2ERgugrxAghwd.jpg

Then I thought I'd try a small amount of polish. I taped the rear door line and polished the quarter panel, you can see the difference in the photo.

I am resisting a clear coat for cost and the no paint theme, but we will see. So far I have not spent any more on the project

2v2ERgunqxAghwd.jpg

Next I'll be looking for that just right wheel/tire combo!

After a couple evenings in the hotel this is where the 55 is at...

So far I've spent $10 for the car, $2 worth of  BMF and a few cents of glue. I did find some bumpers and tail lights in my stash and my buddy gave me some new tail light trim pieces. I need to find some front turn signals still. Not to bad for a swap meet build.

2v2EP2TbFxAghwd.jpg2v2EP2TKdxAghwd.jpg