[[Template core/front/global/utilitiesMenu does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
Johnt671

25 Ford TROG Racer

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

I've been away from the bench for a while but now I'm back. I was frustrated on a 57 Ford build I was doing and put it aside. Then the end of October Red Dead Redemption 2 arrived and I spent all winter playing that. 

I'm working on a 25 Ford that I want to make into a TROG car so here is the beginning. Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

I think I'm going to use the later wheels that are painted blue in the picture, but if the original spoke wheels would be more correct for a TROG let me know.

20190411_142821[1].jpg

20190411_140742[1].jpg

20190410_190645[1].jpg

20190411_171534[1].jpg

20190412_164939[1].jpg

20190414_164637[2].jpg

Edited by Johnt671

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Getting there. I suggest some skinnier wheels and tires more in keeping with what are seen at the TROG events. Those wider tires give it too much of a modern street rod rod vibe IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A couple more suggestions from someone who has done a lot of research and built some of this style racer. I notice the engine is painted and assembled so era typical speed eqt choices are somewhat limited to dual carbs and divided exhaust. If you are willing to remove the cyl head there are some nice options from various kit sources.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/17/2019 at 4:52 PM, misterNNL said:

Getting there. I suggest some skinnier wheels and tires more in keeping with what are seen at the TROG events. Those wider tires give it too much of a modern street rod rod vibe IMO.

Thanks for the tips. I'll post a picture later of what I've done. I painted the stock wheels yesterday and already decided to go with a newer flat four. I only have a couple of hop up parts for the fours so what I have left would only work on the later motor. I like to use "odd ball" motors on my builds so I,ve used up almost all of my four cylinder hot rod pasts. I tried fitting what I have on the older motor, but the twin carbs with the header I have pushed everything into the firewall.

I'll post a couple of pictures later.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The pictures.

 

20190418_174823.jpg

20190419_133712.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking nice John. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great work, so far. Always need more TROG cars.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, alexis said:

Great work, so far. Always need more TROG cars.

Thanks. I have some new pictures to post of where it is now. It was almost done but during the final assembly it ran into a problem. I had to go back some to make it work and now need to do some touch up on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

A couple more pictures. Close to being done. I guess I can't post pictures now.

 

Edited by Johnt671

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

   I want to build a TROG car soon myself!  My thoughts

are to use a `29 Ford roadster.  I cut the trunk out of it

so I could use a louvered lid.

             David S.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

gotta love TROG cars this one is really nice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gotta follow the TROG rules. Here they are:

Year: Car bodies must be 1934 or older, American made only.

Engine: American made 4 cylinder and V8 flatheads up to 1953.

Fuel: Gas only, NO ALCOHOL OR NITRO!

Running gear: 1953 and older. No modern transmissions, disc brakes, alternators, etc.

Wheels & Tires: No 15 inch wheels. 16, 17 & 18 inch only. No widening of wheels, stock only. No aggressive knobby or paddle tires. 

Paint: Period paint that emulates the early days of racing. No late model graphics, No vinyl stickers or emblems, etc. Cars can be shiny, primered or have old paint. No sponsorship/advertising allowed on cars or bikes without written consent.

Additional requirements and restrictions: No headlights, no white wall tires or aggressive tread, no Fenders on hot rods (some very early-teens racers and speedsters may be exempt but must be pre-approved). Cars must have visible race numbers.

*Notes: Vintage reproduction parts are accepted. i.e.; frame rails, intakes, cylinder heads, ignition systems, Stromberg carb's, etc. Converted 12 volt generators are ok, no alternators. Absolutely no fiberglass bodies.

 

My goal is to own a motorcycle to race in this one day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks everyone It's done now, but I keep getting an error message when I try to post pictures. I get the same message if I try from my computer, phone or sd card with the pictures on it  I don't know what to do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had no idea what "trog" was. Now I know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 5/15/2019 at 1:52 PM, r60man said:

Additional requirements and restrictions: No headlights, no white wall tires or aggressive tread, no Fenders on hot rods (some very early-teens racers and speedsters may be exempt but must be pre-approved). Cars must have visible race numbers.

It's a funny thing.  The written rules and what they actually allow once on the beach.  I was talking to someone who went to the races the past few years.  He said that his buddy removed his headlights and windshield to compete, and then they allowed cars in that had them!  

Even on the official rules list... the header shows cars that don't comply with the rules,  in competition action shots.

I'm planning on going to the TROG event in Wildwood, NJ this fall.

 

Edited by Tom Geiger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was confused also. The search I tried to do brought up a lot of pictures and videos of TROG cars but it wasn't clear from what the cars looked like and what little I did know know of the the rules. I just started building it and followed the advice from forum members to make as accurate as I could. I did try to build another TROG car, but most people felt I went too far from the rules so I gave up the TROG in the title and called it an old school racer. I took the flathead V-8 out an Andun? motor in instead.

It's done now and as soon as the forum gets the picture problem sorted out I'll post the pictures.

7 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

It's a funny thing.  The written rules and what they actually allow once on the beach.  I was talking to someone who went to the races the past few years.  He said that his buddy removed his headlights and windshield to compete, and then they allowed cars in that had them!  

Even on the official rules list... the header shows cars that don't comply with the rules,  in competition action shots.

I'm planning on going to the TROG event in Wildwood, NJ this fall.

 

 

On 5/15/2019 at 1:52 PM, r60man said:

Gotta follow the TROG rules. Here they are:

Year: Car bodies must be 1934 or older, American made only.

Engine: American made 4 cylinder and V8 flatheads up to 1953.

Fuel: Gas only, NO ALCOHOL OR NITRO!

Running gear: 1953 and older. No modern transmissions, disc brakes, alternators, etc.

Wheels & Tires: No 15 inch wheels. 16, 17 & 18 inch only. No widening of wheels, stock only. No aggressive knobby or paddle tires. 

Paint: Period paint that emulates the early days of racing. No late model graphics, No vinyl stickers or emblems, etc. Cars can be shiny, primered or have old paint. No sponsorship/advertising allowed on cars or bikes without written consent.

Additional requirements and restrictions: No headlights, no white wall tires or aggressive tread, no Fenders on hot rods (some very early-teens racers and speedsters may be exempt but must be pre-approved). Cars must have visible race numbers.

*Notes: Vintage reproduction parts are accepted. i.e.; frame rails, intakes, cylinder heads, ignition systems, Stromberg carb's, etc. Converted 12 volt generators are ok, no alternators. Absolutely no fiberglass bodies.

 

My goal is to own a motorcycle to race in this one day.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Remember under TROG rules the following applies:

 

NON-COMPETITION CLASSES:

Half of our race weekend is dedicated to bracket racing of the competition classes, but the other half consists of:
Grudge Matches: run for fun, race your friends, banger vs V8, sprint car vs motorcycle etc., anything goes.
Exhibition Class: This is also a run for fun class reserved for unique or historically significant vehicles. All cars that do not fit into the 4 cylinder or V8 classes, i.e.; 12 cylinder, straight six cylinder, etc., will race in exhibition only, no bracket racing, sorry.

*Note: If you want to enter a pre ‘53 six or twelve cylinder motor and your car is approved, you can run as exhibition only.

 

Personally I would not be surprised that some of the pictures that do not seem to follow the other rules are grudge matches or exhibition class vehicles

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, jaxenro said:

Remember under TROG rules the following applies:

 

NON-COMPETITION CLASSES:

Half of our race weekend is dedicated to bracket racing of the competition classes, but the other half consists of:
Grudge Matches: run for fun, race your friends, banger vs V8, sprint car vs motorcycle etc., anything goes.
Exhibition Class: This is also a run for fun class reserved for unique or historically significant vehicles. All cars that do not fit into the 4 cylinder or V8 classes, i.e.; 12 cylinder, straight six cylinder, etc., will race in exhibition only, no bracket racing, sorry.

*Note: If you want to enter a pre ‘53 six or twelve cylinder motor and your car is approved, you can run as exhibition only.

 

Personally I would not be surprised that some of the pictures that do not seem to follow the other rules are grudge matches or exhibition class vehicles

Thanks to all of you for the rules. I have a way better idea of what I can build. I do like to build with "weird" motors. Now for some finished pictures.

20190427_181235[1].jpg

20190509_135917[1].jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will be going to the race in Wildwood NJ with my friend Bill this fall. I will watch intently, ask tons of questions and bring back photos.

Talking with people who had been to the races, it was said that they were lax with the rules once the cars were on the beach. Rules say no headlights, but the header photo for the rules page shows cars with headlights, some taped up, others just there.

i had built my model for the TROG Class at Mid-Atlantic NNL, but I had headlights and bobbed rear fenders on the car. The fenders weren’t glued, just pressed on, so I removed them. I didn’t want to damage the model, so I kept the lights. If I was asked to remove the model from the table, I would’ve been fine with it.  The fenders are back on the car now as I prefer the look.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tom...which model of yours won the TROG theme at the Mid-Atlantic NNL?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's finished. I'll post a teaser picture and post a few more in the finished section. Thanks for the lively discussion and posting the rules. I hope a lot of people check this out for all the information.

20190520_170953[1].jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now