Model Cars Magazine Forum

1937 Cord 812 - The Classic Monogram Kit After Some Improvements

Plastheniker

Hi,

after finishing my topic

1935 Auburn Speedster - The Abysmal Lindberg/Pyro Kit Completely Reworked

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/125494-1935-auburn-speedster-the-abysmal-lindbergpyro-kit-completely-reworked/

it was clear that my Auburn Speedster and a future model of the equally iconic Cord 812 would have to stand side by side (as close relatives so to speak) in my display cabinet.

Considering that the Monogram kit of the Cord 812 is more than 50 years old its quality is really outstanding.

Nevertheless when building the kit some improvements are necessary IMO:

• The characteristic chrome trim on the bonnet is omitted and should be added if at all possible

• The fit of the headlight covers should be reworked

• The kit tires have no reasonable tread

• Following the assembly instructions leaves a salient gap between body and rear valance (part #52) because the rear bumper support and the chassis are moulded as one single part. Cutting off the rear bumper support from the chassis, closing the gap and fixing the rear bumper support later as a separate part is a better solution.

• The moulded wipers don't look convincing

• IMO the surfaces of the flexible exhaust heat protection tubes look too smooth

• Many Cords show a pair of typically shaped fog lamps not replicated in the kit

• The chrome trim on the soft top should be added

• Regarding the interior at least the moulded door handles/windowcranks and the clumsy horn ring should be replaced

• On the real car the lowered side windows still show the upper edge of their chromed window frames but the model's door tops don't even have slots for side windows

• The real car has chromed wheel covers with (fake ventilation?) holes. On the model these holes are shallow and rather vague, so drilling them out looks much better than accentuating them with black paint

This said in marked contrast to the abysmal Lindberg/Pyro Cord this inexpensive kit is still highly recommendable and deserves to be reissued again and again.

Cord00168-vi.jpg
Cord00268-vi.jpg
Cord00368-vi.jpg
Cord00468-vi.jpg
Cord00568-vi.jpg
Cord00668-vi.jpg
Cord00768-vi.jpg
Cord00868-vi.jpg
Cord00968-vi.jpg
Cord01068-vi.jpg
Cord01168-vi.jpg
Cord01268-vi.jpg
Cord01368-vi.jpg
Cord01468-vi.jpg

• Like 1

This could also be made into the Tom Mix parade Cord with its interesting cowboy touches. It’s also a good reference for converting the AMT 1/12 2-seater into a cabriolet with a back seat (cut away the convertible storage panel seam, make a back seat and make some simple cuts on the top for the rear vent windows; otherwise, the body and wheelbase are the same).

That looks brilliant, as ever Jurgen. An Art Deco classic, for sure. How did you do the flexible exhaust tubing? And how does the real thing breathe? Are there some actual slots somewhere in the gaps between that chrome "grille" trim? Great job, and I love the colour...

best,

M.

2 hours ago, Matt Bacon said:

That looks brilliant, as ever Jurgen. An Art Deco classic, for sure. How did you do the flexible exhaust tubing? And how does the real thing breathe? Are there some actual slots somewhere in the gaps between that chrome "grille" trim? Great job, and I love the colour...

best,

M.

Yep, those slats are what are supposed to ventilate the engine compartment.  Even so, overheating was an issue.

Thanks for the comments so far!

7 hours ago, Matt Bacon said:

best,

M.

Yes there are ventilation slots but on almost all pictures they are invisible except on this one:

cord-812-sportsman-3_1600x0w.jpg.e57c6a7bdfe12366f4fe3ce597f46167.jpg

Replicating flexible exhaust tubes is quick and easy:

The cores of the four exhaust pipe tubes were bent from 3(?)mm soldering wire. I rolled 0.5 or 0.8mm soldering wire and wrapped this flat wire round the cores. After aligning the flat wire I secured it with very litle super glue where it was least visible. Last I polished everything with metal polish; leaving the dark polish residue in the wire gaps adds more depth. That is all.

There are two ways to roll soldering wire:

• You can improvise an inexpensive rolling device usuable for rather thin soldering wire by fixing a small, hard wheel (hard plastic or metal, available at hardware/house improvement stores) under a piece of chip board. With the weight of your body roll over the soldering wire on a hard surface and you get a thin, bright, very flexible strip of metal that can be glued easily with super glue.

• Rolled wires of any kind, i. e. also thicker soldering wire, brass and copper wire, so-called silver wire, even hypodermic needles, are extremely useful for numberless purposes when detailing, converting and scratch building. I used them on virtually all models during the past 20 years. For making rolled wires of exact thicknesses/widths I made one of the best investments of my modeling life. It is called bending machine. It is meant originally for making equal, kink-free curves in sheet and strip stock. When I bought mine I was not sure if the considerable amount of money would pay off. It really did.

Yeah, this is a very well done build, just beautiful in every way considering the sad condition of the kit...... such an important car in the evolution of the automobile deserves a first rate kit.... at least you made this kit into a model worth celebrating .  Very nice ....... p.s., love the color.

On ‎4‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 10:31 PM, robertw said:

That looks nice. It makes me want to dig mine out of the stash and start it right now rather then later.

Yes, Thanks for posting this Jürgen. You did a beautiful job and I appreciate the tips! I recently bought this kit at a flea market and It just moved up in the priority list.

On ‎16‎.‎04‎.‎2019 at 5:31 AM, robertw said:

That looks nice. It makes me want to dig mine out of the stash and start it right now rather then later.

agreed. One of my very old builds waiting for a Restauration.

really really beautiful and in my view perfect!

My late father's favorite car, ever since he saw one in Paducah, KY as a boy. He built the Monogram kit back in the '60s which I still have. After all these years, I never noticed the lack of windows in the doors!

Beautiful job, Jürgen.

On 4/15/2019 at 2:29 PM, Plastheniker said:

The real car has chromed wheel covers with (fake ventilation?) holes. 

Real ventilation holes; they line up with holes on the wheels.

5cb75dc76b523_cordwheel.jpg.33422a5dadc714df6a44cc033f83fd56.jpg 

Edited by ChrisBcritter