Model Cars Magazine Forum

D-100 Reissued -- C-10 Next ?

With the overwhelming excitement surrounding the restored / retooled 1978 D-100 Sweptside -- in 2WD livery ! --which is ostensibly a runaway success , I started thinking "How about the 'Roundbody' C/K series Chevy Pickup ? Would Round2 find it in their hearts and resources to restore the Fall Guy , et al. , to its former glory as a 2WD of 1978 vintage ? "

Much like the coveted D100 Sweptside , the C.10 could , in theory , be a 'modified reissue' : 1978 front clip with the Fleetside bed of the Fall Guy , et al. , pickup ---- or , even better , a longbed Fleetside ! Toss-in a new set of plain steelies / hubcaps , and eventually offer a K.10 or K.20 version . Not that I've got a "problem" with the Stepside ; I just know that the Fleetside would be a better seller .

Am I off-base here ? Opinions and suggestions , please B)  

I’d like to see them reissue the ‘78 Chevy stepside...then again, I’m partial to any MPC kits we haven’t seen in awhile. If there were swapable inserts to that took, it would be nice to see the different grilles, beds & drivetrains. 

I seem to remember they did a custom dually variant that had some cool custom parts. 

• 1972coronet changed the title to D-100 Reissued -- C-10 Next ?
17 hours ago, CapSat 6 said:

I’d like to see them reissue the ‘78 Chevy stepside...then again, I’m partial to any MPC kits we haven’t seen in awhile. If there were swapable inserts to that took, it would be nice to see the different grilles, beds & drivetrains. 

I seem to remember they did a custom dually variant that had some cool custom parts. 

There were a few variations based upon the initial 1978 Stepside Annual :

1.) Four Wheel Drive Dust Devil (mid-late 1978) **

2.) "Dooley" [sic] (c.1979)

3.) Sodbuster (1981 annual ; updated front clip )

4.)  Hardcastle & McCormic (c.1982 ; modified to GMC livery)

5.) Fall Guy ( c.1984 ; first year for the Fleetside bed )

** I was so irritated by the box art-versus-contents of that 2nd issue ! In the upper-left-corner was a 2WD  ---- NOT included in the kit !

dust-devil-1978-boxart.jpg.d493f28cc3b7dcc5c65b1beb962c5d0e.jpg  

Edited by 1972coronet

19 minutes ago, alexis said:

Maybe Round2 could start off small by just giving us the Dust Devil?  It looks like it is 85% Fall Guy truck.

Also, I am really hoping that the Dodge D100 is the precursor for a W Series 4x4. Preferably with the older grille.

Considering the 2wd stepside kit hasn't been re-issued leads me to believe the tooling was changed and the molds aren't available for the 2wd version. One can hope and maybe Round2 will give us that kit! 

Many of us thought we would never see the Dodge pickup again, were  told the molds were gone and yet here we are! I suspect the 4wd version could happen as some of the parts are already in this reissued kit!

Time will tell!

I have to agree with the other fans of the Square C-10 Chevy's. I admit a personal preference since I have owned both a '74 and a '79 short step side. I realize there are those that prefer the Fleetside so maybe they could issue one of each. The grills and some exterior trim are the only real differences between the year models. The interiors, depending on trim level, are almost the same except for the Dash. I'd buy a few of each thank you.   

On 4/15/2019 at 10:23 PM, CapSat 6 said:

This would be that custom dually that resides in my stash.

download.jpg.d898e681176016904ded8e12ea7776ff.jpg

There is also one that was not mentioned, the 1981 issue of the "Ground Shaker" that has the (in my opinion much better looking) 4 eyed Chevy grille.

20190418_025618.thumb.jpg.1bc8e86d0a5616d70b7c123df9624153.jpg

Also, if you look hard enough or get lucky enough to just happen across them as I did, there is 8 foot bed options in the aftermarket

20190418_025725.thumb.jpg.e4480e66d498752c10b6ce051d7b0f44.jpg

and along with that also found this.

20190418_025900.thumb.jpg.11db6f867afbe2613cf262a88360e3c3.jpg

On 4/16/2019 at 3:32 PM, alexis said:

Maybe Round2 could start off small by just giving us the Dust Devil?  It looks like it is 85% Fall Guy truck.

Also, I am really hoping that the Dodge D100 is the precursor for a W Series 4x4. Preferably with the older grille.

Alan..I agree on the Dodge with you...the older grille and with the body trim restored for us please...:wub:...they need the older grille and body trim back on them.

I'll take the Body trim as a decal. To add it back would require engraving the trim, back into the mold. Not sure that will happen, as it takes both Dollars and Time.

Then there is the question of which trim do you tool up?  I think that decals may be the way they could go, that way options are open for any trim level or year. That is how I'd doo it anyway.

This is what I want to build.

9574666836_df9fb66e65_b.jpg

Only My Grandpa's Truck had no Front Fender trim, and no Tube Bumper. Otherwise, this could be my Grandpa's truck. Same Colour, Same Rust, Same Wheels.

Edited by alexis

IMO, AMT really dropped the ball back in the mid 70's on this one. The '73-'78  longbed fleetside  ( the best selling GM product of the era ) should have been offered immediately after the period Ford pickup came out.  Oh well, the MPC 1/25 re issue  ( '78 version with a stock pieces )  would be a great seller! No interest in '81 and newer.

Edited by leafsprings

12 hours ago, alexis said:

I'll take the Body trim as a decal. To add it back would require engraving the trim, back into the mold. Not sure that will happen, as it takes both Dollars and Time.

Then there is the question of which trim do you tool up?  I think that decals may be the way they could go, that way options are open for any trim level or year. That is how I'd doo it anyway.

This is what I want to build.

9574666836_df9fb66e65_b.jpg

Only My Grandpa's Truck had no Front Fender trim, and no Tube Bumper. Otherwise, this could be my Grandpa's truck. Same Colour, Same Rust, Same Wheels.

The ones my family owned were that body style years...Id love to make replicas of them someday.

On 4/18/2019 at 2:09 AM, highway said:

This would be that custom dually that resides in my stash.

download.jpg.d898e681176016904ded8e12ea7776ff.jpg

There is also one that was not mentioned, the 1981 issue of the "Ground Shaker" that has the (in my opinion much better looking) 4 eyed Chevy grille.

20190418_025618.thumb.jpg.1bc8e86d0a5616d70b7c123df9624153.jpg

Also, if you look hard enough or get lucky enough to just happen across them as I did, there is 8 foot bed options in the aftermarket

20190418_025725.thumb.jpg.e4480e66d498752c10b6ce051d7b0f44.jpg

and along with that also found this.

20190418_025900.thumb.jpg.11db6f867afbe2613cf262a88360e3c3.jpg

Oh..!  That is nice..!

On 4/16/2019 at 5:15 PM, 1972coronet said:

4.)  Hardcastle & McCormic (c.1982 ; modified to GMC livery)

5.) Fall Guy ( c.1984 ; first year for the Fleetside bed )

But that's backwards. The "Fall Guy" truck was issued in '82 and the "Hardcastle" truck in '84. You can clearly see the copyright dates on the bottom of the box sides below. These were also the only GMCs, all the annuals were Chevy stepsides.

The last reissues were basically the Fall Guy truck with the Hardcastle grille.

SO, the stepside box was the last issue before the blue reissues. It should still be around and usable. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see a stock 2wheel drive stepside '83/'84 reissued sometime but I doubt we'll see them backdate the tooling to an earlier truck. just too many parts involved.

Image result for the fall guy truck model

Image result for hardcastle and mccormick truck

Edited by Can-Con

4 hours ago, alexis said:

Tell us more about this MAD grill, please.  My kit is already ordered. I'd like some recommendations on wheels and tires too.

Scenes Unlimited looks to be the best source, but which ones exactly?

Contact Kris at MAD, he is working on getting them on the website but I think he has them ready to go. He's a member here (Kris Morgan).

Depending on the look you are going for, Danny at Scenes Unlimited has multiple options. He has stock, steel wheels and regular sized tires or he has off road wheels and bigger tires. Easy to order from and great service. Also check out Chief Joseph at Fireball Modelworks as he has some nice wheel and tire combinations.

9 hours ago, Can-Con said:

But that's backwards. The "Fall Guy" truck was issued in '82 and the "Hardcastle" truck in '84. You can clearly see the copyright dates on the bottom of the box sides below. These were also the only GMCs, all the annuals were Chevy stepsides.

The last reissues were basically the Fall Guy truck with the Hardcastle grille.

SO, the stepside box was the last issue before the blue reissues. It should still be around and usable. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see a stock 2wheel drive stepside '83/'84 reissued sometime but I doubt we'll see them backdate the tooling to an earlier truck. just too many parts involved.

Image result for the fall guy truck model

Image result for hardcastle and mccormick truck

I never knew that -- until now . Back when these kits were new , I can only recall seeing the Fall Guy GMC ; never did see the Hardcastle & McCormick version until a few years ago ( !! ) . My go-to shop for kits was the supermarket , FedCo , and-or GEMCO .

Never-the-less... I just want to see that 2WD parts return in the next iteration of the GMC pickup ---- including stock steel wheels and hubcaps .

22 hours ago, mikemodeler said:

Now you can Mark, with the reissued kit and a grille from MAD, the truck pictured can be built (in 2wd).

MAD..???     being on a extremely small budget I am off the grid when it comes to the aftermarket goodies..etc.     To me its important to make replicas of the families old vehicles if i can..?    I have waited decades for these kits to come back for us all...and others.     I have a very long way to go on the collection of them. 

2 hours ago, disabled modeler said:

MAD..???     being on a extremely small budget I am off the grid when it comes to the aftermarket goodies..etc.     To me its important to make replicas of the families old vehicles if i can..?    I have waited decades for these kits to come back for us all...and others.     I have a very long way to go on the collection of them. 

I get it Mark, but the only way to recreate that old truck is with the kit and a resin grille, unless someone has an old grille to trade or give away. I haven't seen a price on the grille, but I would think it would be very reasonable. The Modelhaus sold their plated grille for $7.

20 hours ago, disabled modeler said:

Mark, contact him about a grill. He is a model guy and it should be something you can afford. See if he will work with your situation, I  know how it is. I am on SS and many meds just like you brother. May God bless you.friend!

On April 19, 2019 at 2:38 PM, Rob Hall said:

IIRC the 2wd parts were only in the first issue, the '78 step side.  It would be nice to see those parts again.  Maybe they could took up an '83-84 or later Chevy grill, always liked those grill designs. 

84ChevyC10_110k_poster.jpg

Loved this Chevy body style right here and I am a Mopar guy. I was Driving a 77 Dodge truck at this era of Chevy trucks.

I really would like to see the old 61-63 Ford truck with the camper come back. What happen to the 72 Chevy Cheyenne ?  I would like to see the Harcastle and MCCormick truck come back...