Model Cars Magazine Forum

Adding tread to resin slicks

Straight tread grooves for "cheater" slicks are easy on a lathe, on vinyl or resin tires. I've done several sets.

Crosshatched or block treads for dirt-track tires are relatively easy, but take some careful layout and measuring to get the spacing to come out exactly right. Also much easier if you have a lathe to use as a fixture to hold the tires as you cut the grooves, and make up a degree wheel and pointer to space them.

Zig-zag treads for street or road-racing tires should be entirely doable, but would take much more careful layout and engraving than I'd ever bother with.

You don't need a lathe to cut a couple of typical "cheater" grooves in slicks. Just stick a razor saw blade in a book at whatever distance you want, and move the tire against it, turning as you go, until you have a groove all the way around. Flip tire over and repeat for the other side. Did I mention that the book and the tire will be laying on a table or other flat surface to do this (did I need to?)? 

I took some pictures of this operation (actually, to narrow a wide wheel, but same principle) a while back, but haven't posted them yet, and I'm at work now. I'll try to remember to post a couple pics of the setup when I get home this evening. 

42 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

You don't need a lathe to cut a couple of typical "cheater" grooves in slicks. Just stick a razor saw blade in a book at whatever distance you want, and move the tire against it, turning as you go, until you have a groove all the way around. Flip tire over and repeat for the other side. Did I mention that the book and the tire will be laying on a table or other flat surface to do this (did I need to?)? 

I took some pictures of this operation (actually, to narrow a wide wheel, but same principle) a while back, but haven't posted them yet, and I'm at work now. I'll try to remember to post a couple pics of the setup when I get home this evening. 

Oh man a book, what a no brainer! This is such a great idea for so many other cutting tasks, thanks for posting this. 

3 hours ago, John Pol said:

If you want to put thread on a slick you can use a screen from a window heat it up and roll the tire on it

I've done something similar to this, but I heated up a file. It takes some practice to develop a technique, but can produce acceptable results.

11 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Here's a pic showing the relationship of the razor saw blade, the book, the wheel or tire you're cutting or scribing, and the tabletop. Press down on the book with one hand (or clamp it with a big C-clamp to the table) while you move the wheel against it with the other. You get the idea. B)

AWheels12.jpg.192037081d2f009d4dab0c6abca883cc.jpg