Model Cars Magazine Forum

Disteel Wheels Model T

Attached is a pic of the Disteel wheel I had printed for the Ford Model T ICM Speedster kit to convert it to Disteel disc wheels - these were a popular aftermarket item for model T speedsters. Going to have some resin copies made it is a bit hard to see the details once I get the paint on them they will pop more but they match the prototype photo pretty good. Shown with the tire from the speedster kit

Wheel.jpg

Disteel 23.jpg

Yes I had the wheel printed the tire is from the ICM kit. I am going to have one printed in brass (technically they print in wax then do a lost wax casting) and use that to make resin copies. The brass is smoother than the plastic when printed and takes and holds details really well Shapeways uses it for jewelry

I don't have other model T kits in 1/24 or 1/25 to see what the wheels fit but it should fit many of the early style skinny tires like this

Edited by jaxenro

Question: Does resin shrink at all when casting? Should I increase the diameter by 2 to 3% to account for this when having the master made?

This is what the 3D model looks like (several of the prototype photos I found had the acorn nuts I thought they looked better)

3D Wheel.jpg

Edited by jaxenro

Yes I am producing for sale. I plan a series of T parts including photo etch frame rails, leaf springs, resin engine parts like DOHC heads, etc

i am working with a professional caster with the correct equipment so no bubble filled castings. I will post here when I have them ready. Eventually I plan a web site as my line expands

there were literally hundreds of aftermarket companies offering speed parts for T’s from bodies to engine hop ups even a 4 wheel drive kit so there is lots to do

Wheels sized to fit the tires in one of the widely available and many times reissued in several different varieties 1925 and 1923 Model T kits from AMT would be awesome.

The ICM Ford Model T kits are great kits and very well detailed, however they are not nearly as common as the AMT kits. And 2-3 times as expensive when you find one.

The wheels look great. Looking forward to seeing them in resin.

5 hours ago, jaxenro said:

BTW if anyone has a spare tire from one of the above kits or another kit they want to check let me know, I would prefer just to get the tire, if i know what kit it comes from, than the whole kit

I have many of the AMT model T tires,  PM me your address & I will send you one.

After running all the number the best I can do is $12 for a set of four wheels. I will offer in 2 sizes, 1/25 to fit AMT kit size tires, and 1/24 to fit ICM size tires. I won't take any orders until I have the sets in hand ready to ship but if you are interested in a set let me know and I will reserve a set for you just PM me. I will probably do 25 sets of the 1/25 size to start with since it is the more common size available.

• 2 weeks later...

These fit the 1927 AMT T touring car kit tires. The other AMT T kit is slightly larger and will be a little loose but if I make the wheel any large it won’t fit these so I am going with this 

will post when the resin copies are ready

88156141-AD14-4343-B9B3-4737B28C6131.jpeg

Edited by jaxenro

https://www.polytek.com/products/pt-flex-70-liquid-rubber

https://snoriderswest.com/article/old_sled_zone/vintage_antique_snowmobile_1927_ford_model_t_with_track_and_skis

Great project.  I really like the four wheel drive parts.  There were sled skis for the front end of these cars too.  Have your resin caster make the tires out of this material.  It is easy to work with and cures within an hour.  Mix in a little black dye and it will make great tires, nice and flexible like a model kit tire.

Edited by Greg Wann

• 2 weeks later...

The masters are printed and on the way to the caster. What I do is print them in plastic to check the size and detail then print them in brass (actually if I understand correctly they print in wax then do a lost wax casting in brass) to use as models for the molds. This way the masters should last indefinitely and I can offer brass or white metal versions as well (someday I hope to do an all brass model T "kit" with proto etched frame, springs, etc. and lost wax cast brass parts)

I am thinking 4-6 weeks to have them in hand and ready to ship