Model Cars Magazine Forum

Testors Non Toxic Cement

Performs the same as the "toxic" stuff in the orange tube in my experience.  Use almost exclusively CA glue now.

Non-Toxic or not, probably best to assume you should use precautions not to inhale any adhesive fumes where possible. 

Oddly, I find the stuff in the blue tube gives off a citrus type smell to it.  I have a poor sense of smell, so if I can identify it, it must be relatively strong lol.

It is because it is derived from citrus fruit (thus non-toxic).

I tried it back when I was a kid and I don't think it worked well, because I went back to the regular smelly orange-tube stuff.  I seem to vaguely recall that it was more runny than the orange-tube stuff, and that it took longer to dry.   Reading the online forums it seems that most other modelers are not loving the non-toxic cement.

56 minutes ago, peteski said:

It is because it is derived from citrus fruit (thus non-toxic).

I tried it back when I was a kid and I don't think it worked well, because I went back to the regular smelly orange-tube stuff.  I seem to vaguely recall that it was more runny than the orange-tube stuff, and that it took longer to dry.   Reading the online forums it seems that most other modelers are not loving the non-toxic cement.

I am channeling No-Tox from 1973 or so. "Smells like lemon, sticks like crazy!" Yeah, no. Didn't stick very well.

11 hours ago, Rodent said:

I am channeling No-Tox from 1973 or so. "Smells like lemon, sticks like crazy!" Yeah, no. Didn't stick very well.

Yeah, I remember that stuff. I built one model with it, then binned it. It was miserable to use, and though it may have been non-toxic, I couldn't stand the smell.

MY DECSISION

Will keep using regular Testors model glue.

Used non toxic last night.

First thing I did was I was dumb enough to SNIFF IT.TWICE!! Big mistake!

Because of this 'What does it smell like?' talk here. Maybe.

I was punchy the rest of the night.I might be allergic to it and regular.

Also.It worked different.Turned model over after gluing a part on flat surface and it fell off.

It would have stuck with regular Testors.

I will just keep using regular and NOT GET A WHIFF OF IT at all.

Open up all the windows and put model in den after I'm done.

Edited by regular guy