Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell: 1967 427 Corvette convertible

89AKurt

Built this as a gift for a friend, whose daughter is in the Naval Academy.  They love Corvettes, I asked what her favorite color is, so tried to match it.  It was a free kit, was brush painted, and no engine.  I had an engine from a '39 Chevy model done last century.
46711739115_3f6164e04c_c.jpg

I didn't know the engine was 1/24 scale, until it wasn't fitting!  Had to thin out the tunnel until it was paper thin.  So I guess it's a 507.  LOL
46902982424_1bcb3f8c89_c.jpg

I wasn't happy with the paint in some spots, needed to sand and primer as if it's been repaired.
47627242201_e52c14d23e_c.jpg

The steering wheel is from the parts box, hub is from the decal for the hood spear.
33749950458_d69534b94f_c.jpg

I made the antenna retractable.
32684670907_de65fc5190_c.jpg

I made a box for it.  Got a ribbon at the county fair, just because.
47574551652_43a1be0262_c.jpg

It's wired to a Corian base, the wood supports hold it down.
46711736395_b9240dc9be_c.jpg

Her name is Sarah.
32684669527_d61f68b4d5_c.jpg

GO NAVY!

Very Nice!  I like how you added the touch of primer to the body.  It makes me want to sand it up and finish the paint job just like when I see the real cars out on the road.

Can I ask a question?  I have built this car and the 65 Corvette as well.  And I never could figure out how to install the radiator.  I tried several different ways and strategies and I just couldn't get it in there.  Can you tell me your secret on how you did this?  I this same kit in my collection and as soon as I know I want to build it.

Nice Job and Thanks!

39 minutes ago, ssroczyn said:

Very Nice!  I like how you added the touch of primer to the body.  It makes me want to sand it up and finish the paint job just like when I see the real cars out on the road.

Can I ask a question?  I have built this car and the 65 Corvette as well.  And I never could figure out how to install the radiator.  I tried several different ways and strategies and I just couldn't get it in there.  Can you tell me your secret on how you did this?  I this same kit in my collection and as soon as I know I want to build it.

Nice Job and Thanks!

LOL  That's why I add such details, to drive some people nuts.  :P  Thanks!

I don't recall the radiator being a problem (using vague memory).  Think the tilt is important, when you glue in, set the top towards the rear so it clears the body.  Scrape any mold lines along the bottom (I do every mold line) so it sets down too.  It goes in after the engine is installed.  A general rule of thumb, scrape all mold lines, especially older Revell and AMT kits.  I think there are no positive glue points when mating the chassis to the body, that is another issue I had with this project, think you need to add a perch in the trunk.  You can see in the picture, I had a major issue, solved with the trusty Dremel.

IMG_4805_Fotor.jpg

Thanks for the answer and for the picture!  I see exactly what I did different.  And you'll probably chuckle a bit which is okay by me!  I glued the fenders to underneath the body first.  You have the fenders glued to the chassis first.  I'm not sure why I did that, but at least I did it multiple times! Hahahaha  That picture explains it plain as day Thank You!