Model Cars Magazine Forum

Benny Parsons #72 Kings Row Monte Carlo

ClayK

Finished up a quick build of the Salvino's JR round headlight Monte Carlo. I just built this one up box stock to get a feel for things and see how it went together. I had also got a new batch of Powerslide decals I was itching to try out.

I did a few adjustements to the body.....I opened up the side window openings slightly to make them match the size of the quarter window along the top. I also did some trimming in the grill/headlight area so the the chrome bumper and center grill could go up higher into the body. Basically just trimming the lower edge under the headlights and the hood. Making the front look a little less bulky. I also sanded down some of the body lines to soften the look a little bit.

The body was painted with a base coat white, and cleared with Omni 2 part clear. Then the really cool foil Powerslide decals were added. Once the whole model was finished I spit some rubber black paint along the lower edges and leading edges of the hood and roof with the airbrush to show some race grime.

P1015327copy-vi.jpg

P1015324copy-vi.jpg

P1015301copy2-vi.jpg

P1015335copy-vi.jpg

P1015338copy-vi.jpg

P1015341copy-vi.jpg

P1015342copy-vi.jpg

And the completed model.......Also a bit of a personal plug, if you are on  Instagram or Facebook I am starting my own model specific pages at both places to show more of what I work on from day to day. Please feel free to follow me at Clay Kemp Scale Modeling....thanks!

P1015351copy-vi.jpg

P1015345copy-vi.jpg

P1015350copy-vi.jpg

P1015348copy-vi.jpg

P1015349copy-vi.jpg

Beautiful model of Benny's championship car , those decals look awesome !   I've never been a rivet counter and I'm sure the kit isn't 100% accurate but it looks pretty darned good to me and is a good starting point to build an accurate model . . . beautiful work ! :D

Edited by TooOld

Great job fixing some of the errors of the kit. Actually the front bumper needs to be brought out more in the front as well as be raised like you did it. That's the way I' m seeing the pictures of the real car.at least, but actually the kit bumper isn't correct any way so it doesn't really matter. And thanks for some interior shots and engine shots. 

Keep churning these beauties out Clay and you'll convince me to try building a Nascar racer some day.  ;)   Thanks too for sharing the link on your new site. I book marked it right away.   Tell me you're either going to keep your Fotki page too or transfer all the great builds you've done over the years to the new site..........Cheers Sir!