Model Cars Magazine Forum

Any chance we will see the newly released MPC 1978 Dodge truck at Hobby Lobby?

GMP440

11 minutes ago, High octane said:

I heard that those Dodge truck kits will be going fast, so I would get one or more as soon as possible from wherever possible.

I am hearing from multiple trusted sources that the Dodge pickup kits were ordered by distributors and shops at a much higher volume than Round 2's production plans forecasted.   Some shops are getting only 50% or less of what they ordered.  Production will eventually catch up with demand, of course, but if you want the kit now, best buy it at the first place you see it. 

TIM 

I did just that. My HL, still has not gotten any of the newer Round2 kits. No '34 Ford P/U, '60 Chevy P/U, or any of the others. The Snap Toyota is the most recent kit they have from Round2. Oddly, both of the new Revell '69 kits are there. Go Figure.

2 hours ago, Jim B said:

The 1968 Chevelle isn't scheduled for release until June 2019.  Not sure about the 1969 Mustang.

Jim,

The 68 Chevelle was released earlier this year, but sold out quickly. The next production run should be arriving soon and then it will be available. 

I don.t know if any other HL is doing this, and I can't figure out why they do it here, but they stick new kits behind old kits. I've started looking behind the older kits, and last week I found a 65 Riviera behind a Foose El Dorado, and today I found the 60 Chevy pickup behind a 94 Ford pickup. I already had these, but a few weeks before that, I found the 59 Imperial I was wanting behind another kit. They've had the 68 Chevelle for a few months now, and already sold out of the new Mustang.

Seems to me that they would want people to know when they get new kits in, but I'm OK with it now that I know the trick, I'll be getting the new stuff before anybody else knows they are there.

9 hours ago, RichCostello said:

I don.t know if any other HL is doing this, and I can't figure out why they do it here, but they stick new kits behind old kits. I've started looking behind the older kits, and last week I found a 65 Riviera behind a Foose El Dorado, and today I found the 60 Chevy pickup behind a 94 Ford pickup. I already had these, but a few weeks before that, I found the 59 Imperial I was wanting behind another kit. 

We've discussed this before on the board.  They also move around paint in the Testors rack to make it appear full.  Retail idiocy. With the size of this chain and the volume they are doing in the hobby aisle you'd think they would've hired a knowledgeable person to lead that strategy!

There's a hobby shop I once frequented that had a standing order with their distributor for two of each new model kit.  When they were gone that was it!  They had no way to gauge what would be a hot seller, nor did they really care.  I tried to explain to the owners that there were new kits that they could move several cases of, if they properly stocked them. Their attitude was that if someone came in looking for a specific kit,  and it wasn't there,  they'd buy another one that they had on the shelf!  I corrected them that if modelers came in for a specific kit and it wasn't there, they'd go elsewhere.  And when that happened a few times, they'd never come back.    Over the years their model  shelves have shrunk and shrunk, now just a few linear feet.  If you ask them why, they'll tell you that people just don't build models anymore!

5 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

We've discussed this before on the board.  They also move around paint in the Testors rack to make it appear full.  Retail idiocy. With the size of this chain and the volume they are doing in the hobby aisle you'd think they would've hired a knowledgeable person to lead that strategy!

There's a hobby shop I once frequented that had a standing order with their distributor for two of each new model kit.  When they were gone that was it!  They had no way to gauge what would be a hot seller, nor did they really care.  I tried to explain to the owners that there were new kits that they could move several cases of, if they properly stocked them. Their attitude was that if someone came in looking for a specific kit,  and it wasn't there,  they'd buy another one that they had on the shelf!  I corrected them that if modelers came in for a specific kit and it wasn't there, they'd go elsewhere.  And when that happened a few times, they'd never come back.    Over the years their model  shelves have shrunk and shrunk, now just a few linear feet.  If you ask them why, they'll tell you that people just don't build models anymore!

I think this is just an example of American corporate thinking(or lack of thinking). If it makes absolutely no sense at all, we'll do it.

Went to Hobby Lobby because I was in danger of running out of Testors Dullcote. Look what we’ve got in a Revell USA box! And priced at $22.99 too! Of course I used my magic coupon.

Now some interesting stuff.. molded in Poland, box made in China, decals from Italy AND.. packaged in USA.  No shrink wrap, just a clear round seal at either end. Gotta be the first time for that in eons! 

BD84A7F8-075A-48C6-954E-3098D4AB1701.thumb.jpeg.ab6c9d4d996119ac5e29ab19b5cafbda.jpeg

Interesting that gets a Skill Level 4 on it, but it's a SnapTite kit.  What is it with their weird need to neglect to mention that? I get that they think adult modelers are put off by SnapTite kits, but at the same time how many people have seen this in it's "EasyClick" RevellAG box and are going to be screaming all over FB when they pull a SnapTite kit out of that box?

Also H.L. - or at least that H.L. - has overpriced that kit.  The MSRP via Stevens is $19.95.

Edited by niteowl7710

9 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

Interesting that gets a Skill Level 4 on it, but it's a SnapTite kit.  What is it with their weird need to neglect to mention that? I get that they think adult modelers are put off by SnapTite kits, but at the same time how many people have seen this in it's "EasyClick" RevellAG box and are going to be screaming all over FB when they pull a SnapTite kit out of that box?

Also H.L. - or at least that H.L. - has overpriced that kit.  The MSRP via Stevens is $19.95.

I think Hobby Lobby's strategy is to price kits higher knowing many people use the 40% off coupon.  $22.99 minus the $9.20 is $13.79, more reasonable price to pay for a snap kit.

1 hour ago, mikemodeler said:

I think Hobby Lobby's strategy is to price kits higher knowing many people use the 40% off coupon.  $22.99 minus the $9.20 is $13.79, more reasonable price to pay for a snap kit.

Pretty much so! Go into any mall department store. All the clothing is 25 percent, 50 percent off! I don’t believe it was ever full price. Heck at HL the faux antique furniture is always 30 percent off.

And anyone who frequents HL knows about the coupon. The lady in front of me had two young daughters with her who each made a sizable purchase with the coupon.

And when there is a long checkout line, I make sure everyone on that line knows! 

I already inspected the contents and will build it just for fun. There’s enough cool parts in that box that I will grab another just for parts. The tractor hood will make a cool rat rod part, and the wheels and tires are very nice, bound to wind up on my stalled Doodle Bug project!

• 1 month later...