Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ferrari 275P/360M Restorod

89AKurt

3 hours ago, afx said:

I'm in the minority but personally I prefer a toned down sheen on the finish, your's looks great.

This isn't a democracy here, I'm benevolent dictator, and I will allow you to live.  :D  I would not have been able to progress as quickly, having to polish, and avoid fingerprints.

I'm up early this morning, in total obsession possessed mode.  Came up with a name, MONGREL:

Definition of mongrel

1: an individual resulting from the interbreeding of diverse breeds (see BREEDentry 2 sense 1) or strains (see STRAIN entry 1 sense 1)especially : one of unknown ancestry She owns several dogs, one of which is a mongrel. 
2: a cross between types of persons or things the cinema is … a mongrel of virtually all the other arts

I Needed a license plate, used the AZ Motor Vehicle Division website to almost order it, nobody happens to have this.  LOL  Modified using the Fotor app.

MONGRL license plate.jpg

Absolutely beautiful. And that brake-rotor trick is just jammin'. :D

I don't know about you, but I find my bodywork and primer prep has to be just a little better when doing a flat finish. As there's no post-processing, like color-sanding and polishing, there's no way to correct very small sanding scratches or other minor flaws that might have gone unnoticed, or that shrink out in a few days. 

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

15 hours ago, DrKerry said:

That is lookin' awesome!!!! Great detail and work!!!

Hi there, thanks for stopping by, and thanks!

14 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Absolutely beautiful. And that brake-rotor trick is just jammin'. :D

I don't know about you, but I find my bodywork and primer prep has to be just a little better when doing a flat finish. As there's no post-processing, like color-sanding and polishing, there's no way to correct very small sanding scratches or other minor flaws that might have gone unnoticed, or that shrink out in a few days. 

I'm so proud of myself, that I started a new topic about the disk brakes.  Doing all that for the paint would take a whole week.  I have to leave by Noon tomarrow.

Since I have to eat, posting progress while frozen pizza is baking.  Last paint was doing inside the body flat black, and then the interior aluminum.  Then I could start final assembly!

Lots of masking, I'm lucky no paint peeled off with the masking tape.  I had one tiny gap in the tape that got nailed, and some around the edges.  I used Alclad matt aluminum at first, then changed to polished aluminum because I didn't like it that matt!  Glad the work with the rivets shows up.
IMG_0224_Fotor.thumb.jpg.c42346efbf9da2e8fbf9824514e73e8c.jpg

Unmasked.
IMG_0225_Fotor.thumb.jpg.d0e80bd1bb52eb6f5841b3d34682d9d2.jpg

Added Detail Master hood pins, used the traditional hairpin type.  Had to work on the eye so it would go over the hood disk.  Added a Pro Tech nut to each pin to help hold the wire on.  Detail Master tuner pedals, on left-over photo-etch fret, so they move.  (that's like really important :P)
IMG_0226_Fotor.thumb.jpg.269cc45a0ba44020637f080cf3a4495f.jpg

Made the little lights using the clear sprue, the cordless drill, started the shaping by also using the Dremel, then sandpaper and my shorts to polish.
IMG_0227_Fotor.thumb.jpg.75e89b1e197c1baefdcd173f06439073.jpg

Light lenses are barchetta aftermarket from Japan, looks like Cibie.  The rectangle lights have chrome mylar reflectors.  Glued on with clear Elmers.  The taillights are Farmers Insurance red reflective, over AAA chrome mylar, stuck on baking soda can foil (it was in that mess pile), painted inside with Testors acrylic clear red, but left unpainted in the center where I punched the FI sticker. Cigarette package foil for hood insulation.  Model Factory Hiro carpet.
IMG_0228_Fotor.thumb.jpg.eb4fd03eb2ad96dba4fd11b7b64251ea.jpg

I hate the kit mirrors, most of the time I detail anyway, but these are bad!  I competed with a little girl to gather up these party favor stars, wish someone would sell sheets of this mirrored plastic.  Used the kit mirror for a pattern, glued in with a couple globs of Water Effects to glue.  Added Replicas & Miniatures of MD aluminum screen in all the openings.  Crazy Modelers chrome emblems, Hobby Design 3D emblems added.
IMG_0234_Fotor.thumb.jpg.a94b100fb9f1c0046243177d93681613.jpg

Put the body and chassis together for the last time!
IMG_0235_Fotor.thumb.jpg.085ed5af56f3d77317cb6a09fc59c3eb.jpg

It's going to be a long night.  Have radiator hoses, seatbelts, wheels/brakes to glue on.  Looks like the headlights covers will work with some beveling.  I should be able to polish the kit windshield, use sheet plastic for door windows.  Engine bay details, hope I can make the exhaust work without futzing too much.

3 hours ago, DrKerry said:

That is soooooooo KOOOL!!!!!! Looking great!!!

Now that it's almost done, totally stoked.  Thanks.

2 hours ago, cobraman said:

Looking better and better !

Well DUH, it's getting done, not sitting for years in a box.

1 hour ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Lots of great little nuggets of info, material sources, and techniques hidden throughout this build. I hope you'll do at least a short how-to on your flat paint process. It's definitely one of the best I've seen in scale.

It's easy, will do when I get back from GSL.

I was concerned about the "glass".  The kit had the wiper molded on, which I hated.  Also had a crappy vac-formed window.   I used the polishing system for doing paint, and made a HUGE improvement.  And the best part, it fit without almost no glue, and the aluminum plate end parts were modified without wrecking them.
IMG_0239_Fotor.thumb.jpg.91d6ca87e21598516afdae9925da051a.jpg
IMG_0240_Fotor.thumb.jpg.82c2672bc1e65c4d86ab49d2937840fa.jpg
IMG_0242_Fotor.thumb.jpg.7293b55138c574fa221142370ae06631.jpg

Final photo-etch body detail, rivets for the door "glass".
IMG_0243_Fotor.thumb.jpg.1d26abb297dca25e2103b119c81c7a08.jpg

After I wolf my cereal, do the seatbelts.  Then pack, shower, then blaze up to GSL!

Exceptionally cool build.

We have a fair few late-model Ferraris and other exotics in my part of town, and though I always get a kick out of seeing and hearing them, they've almost become ho-hum.

This thing on the other hand...if I saw it on the street, I'd have to follow it and get the full skinny on what it was and how it came to be.

Great fantasy hot-rod Ferrari. Lotsa imagination, lotsa fun.  :D

Been following your build Kurt since returning back to Vancouver Island fron DSC... just amazing work and thought, artistry on wheels! Wishing ypu a great time at GSL, safe travels.

Cheers Misha

Thanks everyone!  Made it in one piece.  :D   Totally expected this class to be packed, exceptional work by others.

I needed to take a picture, for when I filled out the information to register.  I only had enough time to create a one page document, with 'before' pictures, so had to write on their online website some of the details of construction.  

IMG_0246.jpg

I must say that when I saw what you were starting with and what you had planned, I thought it was a terrible idea, but then I watched what you did with it and I am totally blown away. This thing turned out very cool. Great job. Its good to be wrong sometimes.

2 hours ago, Oldmopars said:

I must say that when I saw what you were starting with and what you had planned, I thought it was a terrible idea, but then I watched what you did with it and I am totally blown away. This thing turned out very cool. Great job. Its good to be wrong sometimes.

X2

5 hours ago, Oldmopars said:

:lol: Yea thought I was nuts too, when I started looking at it.   Thank you.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

~bump~  Thanks Dann!

All this time, it was bugging me that the hood was flopping back too far when opened.   So I fixed it tonight!   Bent aluminum plate, bent guitar string, which is held on with wire insulation "nut".
IMG_1370.thumb.jpg.5698d6b65be12cc63d67e95314fab267.jpg
IMG_1369.thumb.jpg.831f3d13422b673a526d9c874ddfc4d6.jpg
IMG_1371.thumb.jpg.93d7237cd9cb40f4982772799d9cb019.jpg

I'm just going to make prop rods for every project from now on!   Unless I make hinges that hold the hood up.