Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Pantera WILL have an engine!!

Dann Tier

Hey, everyone!, as I promised a few years ago, I've decided to start working on my fully detailed Pantera build. I was dreading opening the hood, because all the ones I've seen done have less than desired results on the back corners. The thickness of the plastic, along with how tiny, and sharp these corners have to be, makes it VERY difficult to keep it klean. I decided to use my new favorite saws....my Scale Motorsports PE blades. After putting a couple holes in the seam, I was able to start sawing with the Keyhole blade/saw, and then move onto the #11 version to finish off the job!, as you can see, its VERY klean, and sharp.

Note; DO NOT use a saw blade on the roofs cross-member seam....it WILL get destroyed!!!   its actually so thin, that a fresh #11 will go through it like butter.

DSCF8146.JPG

s-l400.jpg

DSCF8144.JPG

DSCF8145.JPG

DSCF8147.JPG

Wow!   You were able to smooth out the headlight covers!   I'm working on the box stock build for a friend.   I actually just got tired of sanding on this body, trying to get it smooth.   Guess I'll go back and smooth some more.   Not even attempting more than that on this build.  And you are right - the roof is thin at the top.  Knife goes through while just scribing it.  But the sides are thick and terribly wavy.  A LOT of work to clean these bodies up.  But I'll be watching this one.

13 hours ago, Rider said:

Great start Dan. I'll be pulling up a chair. What engine source will you be going with? Kit bash or resin aftermarket? 

Thanks, bud!!, I haven't quite decided on an engine yet, lol, but i'm leaning heavily towards a 426 Hemi.

11 hours ago, randyc said:

Wow!   You were able to smooth out the headlight covers!   I'm working on the box stock build for a friend.   I actually just got tired of sanding on this body, trying to get it smooth.   Guess I'll go back and smooth some more.   Not even attempting more than that on this build.  And you are right - the roof is thin at the top.  Knife goes through while just scribing it.  But the sides are thick and terribly wavy.  A LOT of work to clean these bodies up.  But I'll be watching this one.

Thanks, Randy!!, sanding into those rockers is a nightmare as well!!, but I will be cutting those buggers of, and redoing them.

3 hours ago, vamach1 said:

I built this one a long time ago and do not remember any major issues.  I'd like to do one with an engine too and have ordered the resin ZF transmissions from Clearly Scale.

IMG_4311.JPG

IMG_4312.PNG

Great looking Pantera!!, and if I was doing stock, i'd definitely order from Clearly Scale!...I know it looks like I like to SB, but truthfully i'd rather have the parts already made, lol

Heres an old one of mine -no engine:

DSCF6350.JPG

DSCF6351.JPG

DSCF6352.JPG

I've seen how they have smoothed the engine bay on real ones.  There was a guy in town with one, always had to take a look at the cruise nights and car shows.

That thin strip will always be begging to get broken.  I would get it over with, and make a steel piece.

On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 9:35 PM, 89AKurt said:

I've seen how they have smoothed the engine bay on real ones.  There was a guy in town with one, always had to take a look at the cruise nights and car shows.

That thin strip will always be begging to get broken.  I would get it over with, and make a steel piece.

Yes it will, bud, I think I may just reinforce it with Styrene, and Plsti-zap.

I'm lovin' it! I have one, Fujimi, molded in yellow that I've toyed with opening up, but I'd put a Blue Oval power plant in it! Gotta get that resin transaxle, looks cool! A few years ago a friend brought this one up from Florida, but I don't think I'd go that extreme with my model!

DSCN9653.JPG