Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Pantera WILL have an engine!!

Dann Tier

12 hours ago, dino246gt said:

I'm lovin' it! I have one, Fujimi, molded in yellow that I've toyed with opening up, but I'd put a Blue Oval power plant in it! Gotta get that resin transaxle, looks cool! A few years ago a friend brought this one up from Florida, but I don't think I'd go that extreme with my model!

DSCN9653.JPG

Its STILL beautiful, even though its red!!!!...lol

love these machines ever since we had one living next door to us when I was in my early tweens. It was also black and I loved it when he used to drive it on the weekends.

I didn't know there was a kit of this out there. Does anyone other than Testors make one?

Can't wait to see this one come along

On 4/19/2019 at 6:33 PM, Dann Tier said:

Thanks, bud!!, I haven't quite decided on an engine yet, lol, but i'm leaning heavily towards a 426 Hemi.

The fictional/experimental/mystical DOHC Hemi from the AMT 70 Superbee would be the most logical engine for this I think. If you are going to build a car/engine combo that's never existed, you may as well use an engine that never existed. :lol: It's also a cool looking engine.

45 minutes ago, Jantrix said:

The fictional/experimental/mystical DOHC Hemi from the AMT 70 Superbee would be the most logical engine for this I think. If you are going to build a car/engine combo that's never existed, you may as well use an engine that never existed. :lol: It's also a cool looking engine.

Ah, but sir...several 426-based Hemi-powered Panteras have been built. The first one, IIRC, was done in Sweden, and has been through several iterations.

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/hrdp-1204-526ci-hemi-pantera-hempantera-version-2-8/

http://www.hemipanter.se/

http://moparblog.com/hemi-pantera/

Related image

Another one...

Image result for hemi pantera

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Looking great. I would suggest a 351 from any of the Revell/Monogram Nascar Thunderbird/Taurus kits. I would add a stack type injection though.

Another great choice would be the engine from the Revell Super Stallion

p31967_large+ford_mustang_super_stallion+engine.jpg

Edited by Sledsel
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Madhatter said:

love these machines ever since we had one living next door to us when I was in my early tweens. It was also black and I loved it when he used to drive it on the weekends.

I didn't know there was a kit of this out there. Does anyone other than Testors make one?

Can't wait to see this one come along

I have a neighbor that's restoring one......they are VERY underrated!!!! Fujimi makes a plastic kit, AND a rare multi-media kit. If you can find a Tokyo Muari kit, its a VERY nice one too, with opening doors, and lights that work!!, BUT beware or the nice tyres in that kit!!!!...they melt plastic QUICKLY!!!! -even through the plating!!!!   

-Photo 1; Fujimis rare Multi-media kit

-Photo 2 & 4; Current Fujimi kits.....windows are VERY distorted, BUT it is VERY easy to make your own, more realistic ones.  I will be building the Fujimi GTS within a month or two, and I 'm gonna try to fix the kit windscreen..i think I have a great way to save it!!

-Photo 3; This is the Tokyo Muari kit.....VERY NICE!!!

fuj18891_0_1428036537.jpg

fuj125534.jpg

s-l300.jpg

124_De_Tomaso_Pantera_16829.jpg

Edited by Dann Tier

3 hours ago, Jantrix said:

Yes it is!!!....dammit!...another choice!!!...…..how about a V12?

2 hours ago, Sledsel said:

Looking great. I would suggest a 351 from any of the Revell/Monogram Nascar Thunderbird/Taurus kits. I would add a stack type injection though.

Another great choice would be the engine from the Revell Super Stallion

p31967_large+ford_mustang_super_stallion+engine.jpg

That's pretty sick too!!!!!!

33 minutes ago, Dann Tier said:

...how about a V12?

A V8's a tight squeeze in the real car. Your right elbow is constantly bumping the engine cover if you drive with the seat all the way back.

A V-12? The 600 BMW V-12, possible. Due to its close bore spacing and smallish bores, it's about the same length as the Ford 351C.

Other V-12 engines? Right off hand, I'd say probably not without lengthening the wheelbase, or heavy engineering involving a gearbox arrangement like the Countach uses.

There was a prototype DeTomaso V-12 engine built, but it's probably too long for a stock Pantera.

DeT_V12.jpg.e63e9593b59588d7f768a299b98b7787.jpg

5cbe0242a26d9_DETV122.JPG.6d4e51dc028805a9204d1fe4fb3f72f8.JPG

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Something else that's confused me is that out of all the reference photos I've seen/ collected, NONE of the Panteras have a chin-spoiler like the one on this kit!......I like it, but I just thought it was odd. I've decided to SB one more like this....

154668314119631.jpg

if my memory serves me correctly (and it doesn't always ?) i think the ones made in the 70s were powered by a 351 Cleveland..imo the Cleveland engine with maybe a modern efi and twin turbos would be very nice.

ebay110087.jpg

2016-11-17_01-18-49.jpg

Edited by Scott8950

42 minutes ago, Dann Tier said:

Something else that's confused me is that out of all the reference photos I've seen/ collected, NONE of the Panteras have a chin-spoiler like the one on this kit!......I like it, but I just thought it was odd. I've decided to SB one more like this....

154668314119631.jpg

I assume you have seen the ARII kit.  It has a similar front end.

IMG_4353.JPG

Edited by vamach1

37 minutes ago, Scott8950 said:

if my memory serves me correctly (and it doesn't always ?) i think the ones made in the 70s were powered by a 351 Cleveland..imo the Cleveland engine with maybe a modern efi and twin turbos would be very nice.

ebay110087.jpg

2016-11-17_01-18-49.jpg

For whatever motor I finally pick, I've already decided that it will be twin turbo.....maybe even super charged as well, like the Koenig Testarossa.