Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fujimi Garage and Tools: WIP

David G.

Well, I got a little more done on this one, so here it is.

This is the desk, office chair and telephone. I added a handset cord and supply cord to the phone.

The desk was originally intended to have the drawers glued directly to its underside but I was going to have none of that. So I made and installed a lower portion that would capture the drawers and allow them to function as drawers should. The knobs are heads cut from from straight pins.

The desk blotter is from an image I borrowed from an office supply web site which I printed out then backed with index stock.

The chair is painted and assembled as straight from the kit.

Garage_38.jpg.6aaaa976589a5865f0e40c18e3a675a7.jpg

And here is the desk, phone and chair amidst all of its companions.

Garage_39.jpg.b6e97fdce358b501a0d389e37ce31932.jpg

As always, thanks for taking the time to look and please feel free to comment.

David G.

18 hours ago, Anglia105E said:

That desk of yours is really good, David...... much better than the 1:24 scale desk that I made. Opening drawers ! Wow !

David

Thanks David. Do you have any photos?

17 hours ago, Danno said:

Great project, David, and excellent work!

?

Thanks Danno. I still have hopes of finishing it up this year.

David G.

2 hours ago, David G. said:

Thanks David. Do you have any photos?

Thanks Danno. I still have hopes of finishing it up this year.

David G.

I do have some photos, David but I am having difficulty finding them at the moment....... thousands of photos on my computer, and just changed computer. Will have another look later!

David

On 5/14/2020 at 8:12 AM, David G. said:

so I don't actually plan on using the garage part for much more than storing all the bits and bobs as I complete them.

So you're using it like a 1:1 garage gets used a lot of the time? Got it. ?

What is the finished size of that thing? Eye-balling it from the Charger, it looks to be about 4"x6"?

Charlie Larkin

22 hours ago, Anglia105E said:

I do have some photos, David but I am having difficulty finding them at the moment....... thousands of photos on my computer, and just changed computer. Will have another look later!

David

No hurries David. Feel free to post a couple here when you find them, I'd love to see them.

18 hours ago, charlie8575 said:

So you're using it like a 1:1 garage gets used a lot of the time? Got it. ?

What is the finished size of that thing? Eye-balling it from the Charger, it looks to be about 4"x6"?

Charlie Larkin

Good one Charlie! But I actually keep my car in my 1:1 garage. :D

DodgeGarage.jpg.5442253383c645051bd8d254d39c941e.jpg

The Fujimi Garage however is only about 6" X 8" and much too small for all but the most petite of import cars. :)

As always, thanks for taking the time to look and I do appreciate your comments.

David G.

• David G. changed the title to Fujimi Garage and Tools: WIP
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone!

While I'm waiting for the decals to set on my Ford GT I decided to get a little more work done on my Fujimi Garage. This time it's the arc welder.

I've already filed and sanded the sink marks on the cabinet and painted it. I've also done the detail painting on the panel. Basic stuff, so I didn't get any photos.

The clamps are supposed to fit into the provided vinyl tubing via little nubs that that are cast on their ends. Given that almost every time I've relied on connections like this in this kit, they've failed, I've decided to make my own attachments.

I've drilled out the handles on the clamps and glued in some wire.

Garage_40.jpg.c2474da6235037c5cb4c2e47cfd40373.jpg

I chose not to use the vinyl tubing provided by the kit and stripped the copper out of a paired wire. secured the remaining insulation into the panel with the same wire that I'm using for the clamps. 

Garage_41.jpg.8639b88a4f2bdb6f82c5c9cb729675a2.jpg

After cutting the wire connectors on the clamps down to about 3 mm in length I inserted the clamps into the other ends of the wire insulation. The fit was snug enough that I didn't need any adhesive to hold them in place.

I also did a bit of thermocycling to get the welding "cables" to hold a more realistic coil.

Garage_42.jpg.b3cf5bc8986cfc8d09bdcba1467d764b.jpg

My ultimate plan is to make a hook so they can be hung on the side of the cabinet. I'm going to let them rest like this for a while so they can contemplate their future.

Garage_44.jpg.246e52fe68d9cf932dfbd7595703c790.jpg

That's all for now. Thanks for taking the time to look and please feel free to comment.

David G.

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, stinkybritches said:

Great job on that welder.

Thank you Rob.

5 hours ago, Bills72sj said:

I see you are back at it again. Thanks for sharing.

I know you were following my diorama WIP. I am unsure if you got to see the finished project.

I hadn't seen it finished yet Bill, thanks for throwing the link at me.

I went to pay a visit, pretty amazing the way it all came out.

David G.