Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Prisoner Lotus 7

Phildaupho

This was a project I could not resist. While hiking recently with a group we kept hearing what sounded like a bell dinging. It turned out it was one of the hiker’s cell-phones but I said it reminded me of the half-century-old TV series The Prisoner. One of the other hikers then told a story of how his wife had fallen in love with the Lotus 7 the main character in the show drove. My hiking friend told his wife way back then that he would buy her a Lotus 7 for her eightieth birthday; never thinking they would ever live that long as they were only thirty at the time. Well her eightieth birthday is the end of April and he had no Lotus 7 to give her or even one for her to have a ride. I just happened to have a 1/24 Tamiya Lotus 7 kit in my closet that I always planned to build a Prisoner version if I ever got around to it so this seemed like a perfect opportunity. This might also be the first model I have built directly out of the box for a very long time – just paint and glue.

The model is not an exact replica in that the real car had wheels that were used on  Elans and Europas. The only extra detail I added were the ignition wires, pinhead shifter and license plates.

I was very impressed with this kit, which of course should be expected with a Tamiya kit. It was extremely well engineered in that the front suspension went together virtually without glue and it is poseable.

image.png.0abd4cbbee27b4028dd2b042637f1b4e.pngimage.png.9a4cb26f61ef61201d881c835436cb34.pngimage.png.2c3a24752cc931ae8bbff098fe95ed40.pngimage.png.585c6b5b2d132bce9f24b8ab3c05ce2a.pngimage.png.1b809f5444827ef01030188ee42f0b23.png

6 minutes ago, '70 Grande said:

A fantastic build; there's so much to like about it! The fact that it'll become a promise-filling gift makes the whole story even better! Funny how the headlights showing in that 1:1 head-on shot look more like chrome-plated 1/24 kit parts!

The light is reflecting off the mesh stone guards over the headlights. 

I built a replica of the Lotus 7 years ago, and it is a fabulous kit. I even had a set of the Elan wheels (from Mini Exotics, IIRC), but I couldn't figure out how to properly mount them on to the model. Techniques and skills have definitely improved in the decades since then.

6 hours ago, Bantoft said:

Great build Phil, I too loved The Prisoner (Patrick McNee by memory). Hope she appreciates the thought!!

Dave B

Thanks David - I am looking forward to her reaction. Joe is correct, the star was Patrick McGoohan.

5 hours ago, peekay said:

Very nice!

Thanks Peter

4 hours ago, SfanGoch said:

Patrick Macnee was in "The Avengers"

Astoria, NY-born Patrick McGoohan starred in "The Prisoner".

Great looking Lotus 7, Phil.  :D

Thanks Joe. Was not aware Patrick was US born. There are so many British born actors these days on US TV shows who have no accents - like Canadians !!

1 hour ago, '70 Grande said:

A fantastic build; there's so much to like about it! The fact that it'll become a promise-filling gift makes the whole story even better! Funny how the headlights showing in that 1:1 head-on shot look more like chrome-plated 1/24 kit parts!

Thanks Mark

54 minutes ago, 64Comet404 said:

The light is reflecting off the mesh stone guards over the headlights. 

I built a replica of the Lotus 7 years ago, and it is a fabulous kit. I even had a set of the Elan wheels (from Mini Exotics, IIRC), but I couldn't figure out how to properly mount them on to the model. Techniques and skills have definitely improved in the decades since then.

Thanks Ken - I have the Gunze Elan kit but did not want to rob that kit.

52 minutes ago, GLMFAA1 said:

I hope it is the photo and not a pink interior,  Great build, always a ACBC fan. In my youth I had a an old VW chassis that I wanted to build into a rear engine Lotus 7.

greg

Thanks Greg - Yes the interior is red. I have never had much success photographing red models.

39 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Nice job, nice story.

That show was where I fell in love with those things too.

One of the 5 stupidest things I ever did was sell mine. 

Thanks Bill - At least you once had one.

19 minutes ago, Classicgas said:

Well done.

Thanks Lee

14 minutes ago, thatz4u said:

Lotus 7 driven by Number 6....

Thanks Al - I have forgotten most of the details of the show but see there are episodes on YouTube which I am going to check out.