Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum
QbanFam

3D Printed Parts

Recommended Posts

I just wanted to show some pieces I designed using DesignSpark Mecanical (a free CAD-liked software for 3D design). Then exported to CraftWare (a free 3D slicer software). Then printed on my Creality Ender 3 Pro 3D printer, which I recently purchased. It’s my first time using a 3D printer and any of these softwares. I actually created a profile on Thingiverse (a site with lots of free downloadable 3D objects) and have been uploading my designs (my profile name is QbanFam). They are free to download. I really put a lot of effort into this, since I’m a novice. All designs I researched and drafted to scale. Please, give some feedback. Keep in mind I haven’t really played much with the settings for optimal quality. It’s a filament printer, so th details might not be as sharp as a resin 3D printer.

Note: These pieces have not been primed and painted yet. The red is the color of the filament, except the last dual drain. 

29B79DB1-77AC-40BF-A1A8-428CF59E4C4A.jpeg

DED16357-F2C3-4466-A859-0FAEEFB0C4B2.jpeg

A89501A5-A3F9-44BA-9E65-11F7770AE969.jpeg

E57F416F-3E81-408E-8C90-BEDD423F341E.jpeg

6729B3FF-0E08-4423-9A2D-CCBD47AF03C1.jpeg

BCC133BA-DB77-409D-BBC1-9F493BDEB87A.jpeg

CE994DBE-9675-4BCF-90F6-297DEEC0BFB7.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really nice drainage grates Yordan, and the dual drain painted black shows how good these are. Considering this is your first experience of 3D printing, and also keeping in mind that this is free software, you can see how far you can take this. Anything you need for your diorama building can now be produced in CAD and 3D printed using your own equipment..... brilliant. Your imagination can run free! This is something I am going to have to give some serious thought. Was the 3D printer relatively expensive in your opinion, or do you see it as an affordable tool for your work?

David

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The drains look great.  Congratulations on what you accomplished on your first try.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Anglia105E said:

Really nice drainage grates Yordan, and the dual drain painted black shows how good these are. Considering this is your first experience of 3D printing, and also keeping in mind that this is free software, you can see how far you can take this. Anything you need for your diorama building can now be produced in CAD and 3D printed using your own equipment..... brilliant. Your imagination can run free! This is something I am going to have to give some serious thought. Was the 3D printer relatively expensive in your opinion, or do you see it as an affordable tool for your work?

David

Hi David. Thank you for your kind words. In my opinion the 3D printer was affordable. It’s actually on of the best affordable 3D printers in the market. I just found a site with some profiles (settings) for the slicer (the software that makes the 3D model printable). I’m gonna try those profiles, which supposedly gives better results. Some things I’m working on designing now is some molds for Jersey barriers, wall barriers and abutments. I’m trying to get some road accessories going before I jump into my dioramas. Also, I’m researching vehicle parts to detail my diecast models (this is more advanced, so that’s for the future). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Gramps46 said:

The drains look great.  Congratulations on what you accomplished on your first try.

Thank you Gary. I spent lots of hours learning, figuring things out and putting it into practice. It’s really not complicated to learn, at least for me. It’s just time consuming, but worth it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very cool! Those grates look...great! Very convincing. I'm always surprised by the true dimensions of street hardware like stop signs, drains, etc. They always seem much larger in person than I would have expected.

Objects like these are ideal for a filament printer...they have detail, but it's not incredibly intricate, and some slight texture is no problem because they'll probably be sanded and weathered anyway.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Spex84 said:

Very cool! Those grates look...great! Very convincing. I'm always surprised by the true dimensions of street hardware like stop signs, drains, etc. They always seem much larger in person than I would have expected.

Objects like these are ideal for a filament printer...they have detail, but it's not incredibly intricate, and some slight texture is no problem because they'll probably be sanded and weathered anyway.

 

Hi Chris. I agree with you. I will also be using a primer that helps fill in the small gap. I have never used it, so hopefully it will help get rid of left over, unwanted blemishes after sanding. I’m sure once done, weathered and embedded on the pavement, or concrete slabs, it will look more realistic. Right now I’m in the testing phase, making sure I get as close as possible to realism with realistic details. 

6FC8EF6F-9998-4529-87B4-77F459C4749F.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

More 3D printed stuff. I’m putting together a collection for my next diorama. I created some molds to cast sidewalks, ramps plus other. These are just examples of them. In this case I made the sidewalks higher (equivalent to nine inches in real scale) to make up for the added pavement, drains and manhole covers. This should give a height closer to real life scale.

C98A9F47-E15C-491E-8D93-731AB7CCFA55.jpeg

9211FF10-F17A-4964-9997-CCC359EF4923.jpeg

97E3CECA-4611-4220-AF8F-7B59095B3DEE.jpeg

29355A56-D9ED-4D87-A59A-371312649632.jpeg

ABD45CE7-8B9C-49B3-B013-D48AEFE0B5EA.jpeg

C590959E-89BC-4D3E-9ECB-62C593359142.jpeg

678FD823-A421-4300-9151-2D3B45D2A933.jpeg

A2A95A35-3FE7-45E7-8BEB-C2FAE3863540.jpeg

Edited by QbanFam

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good work Yordan..... the sidewalks, paving, drains and grates are really good. Your idea to create 3D-printed moulds and use Plaster of Paris to cast the pieces has worked well, and you can use the same technique to produce further pieces for your next diorama.

David

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Anglia105E said:

Good work Yordan..... the sidewalks, paving, drains and grates are really good. Your idea to create 3D-printed moulds and use Plaster of Paris to cast the pieces has worked well, and you can use the same technique to produce further pieces for your next diorama.

David

Thanks, David. That’s exactly my plan...to make a handful of molds that can be useful. I’m planing on making some molds for planters, pavers of different designs and cinder blocks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't forget whisky barrels.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Flat32 said:

Don't forget whisky barrels.

Hi, Raymond. I just have it on stand by. Since I couldn’t find any barrel online that looked realistic, I’m printing my own. I ordered some wood filament, which apparently looks really good and can be stained, to make 3D print some barrels. Hopefully I can get good results. I’m still learning the ins and outs of 3D printing. Thank you for checking in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...