Model Cars Magazine Forum

Six Pickup trucks I'd like to see.

Thinking about the (seemingly) huge demand for Pickup trucks that the frenzy over the Dodge D-100 has revealed, I have a couple thoughts on some kits that might sell well. I set myself some goals for this list. One: No new tooling needed.  Two: The Kits should be reasonably expected to sell well.

Here is my list.

1. The MPC '29 Roadster Pickup/ Woody.. With Revell's Woody kit off the market for the foreseeable future, this 2'n'1 kit would be the only one out there. While simplified in some ways, it has greta DNA and an all Chromed Flathead that is still cool today. Bonus Points: Add in a couple of surf boards.

2. Ford Ranger Splash.. A new-ish (1990's) tool, this kit is sharp, fun, and great looking. A better kit for Round2's Coke Tie-ins cannot be thought of. Imagine a red truck with the iconic White Coke "Swirl" decal running from front to back. Bonus Points: Open all the sprues and let us have some of the optional Ranger parts from other versions of the kit.

3. Chevy S-10 Xtreme..A great bookend to the Splash, this is also a 90's tooling. Another cool, fun truck, all this needs are some updated decals. If they have to be Coke decals to get this kit on the shelves, Do it! Bonus Points: Either 5 Spoke Camaro wheels (I've seen about 4 Xtremes here in SoCal running these instead of the stock rims) or Donk style rims.(seen these too)

4. Dodge D-50..An older, but still nice kit, originally tooled by MPC. It has many fun features from the Subaru style rear-facing seats, to a bed cover with 4 built in speakers. Fender Flares & a Turbo help accessorize it too. Run as both a 4x4 and a 2wd Cali-Cool truck, this kit, with new graphics would still look great. Bonus Points: Open all the sprues & swap out the tires.

5. Chevy/GMC '72 pickup. This kit, sharing both AMT and MPC parts, was last out in the early 2000's as a lowered, semi-Donk styled kit with some decent oversized rims. Bring back the Stepside Bed, and some of the many parts that found their way into the tool, and it should be great. It has some nice Stock Hupcaps, and there is currently nothing on the market for this year truck. Bonus Points: Bring back the Tow Truck bed and Boom last seen in the Cooter's Towtruck version from the Dukes of Hazzard over 30 years ago. Extra Bonus Points: Restore the Fire Fighting Gear from the original MPC tool of this kit.

6. Ford 1970's F-350 Truck.  This kit is stretching my own rules a bit. Run recently as the Firestone truck, this kit has many options in the Tool. The Tuff Truck, had Duals and 2wd, as well as neat Faux Spare Tire covers. Other versions included a Camper Shell/Topper, Brush Guards and other changes. In order to get more out of this it needs to be runs this time as the 2wd version with the Shell and a Round Headlight Grille. (IMHO) Another Natural for Coke Markings. Bonus Points:  Throw in the Wheelhorse Garden tractor, especially with a newly tooled mower blade and cutting deck. Instant Gardener's Truck.

These kits are the first that came to my mind. Although I have suggested Bonus parts or changes, truthfully, I believe that all of these kits would sell in the current market if run as they were last set up. All of these kits were or are quality kits of popular subjects. All of them share great potential as blank canvas' so-to-speak, for builders to go wild on. Given Updated Decals all, of them should appeal across a large swathe of buyers.

31 minutes ago, alexis said:

2. Ford Ranger Splash.. A new-ish (1990's) tool, this kit is sharp, fun, and great looking. A better kit for Round2's Coke Tie-ins cannot be thought of. Imagine a red truck with the iconic White Coke "Swirl" decal running from front to back. Bonus Points: Open all the sprues and let us have some of the optional Ranger parts from other versions of the kit.

Like this?

Image result for amt Ford Ranger kit coca cola

1 hour ago, alexis said:

[...]

5. Chevy/GMC '72 pickup. This kit, sharing both AMT and MPC parts, was last out in the early 2000's as a lowered, semi-Donk styled kit with some decent oversized rims. Bring back the Stepside Bed, and some of the many parts that found their way into the tool, and it should be great. It has some nice Stock Hupcaps, and there is currently nothing on the market for this year truck. Bonus Points: Bring back the Tow Truck bed and Boom last seen in the Cooter's Towtruck version from the Dukes of Hazzard over 30 years ago. Extra Bonus Points: Restore the Fire Fighting Gear from the original MPC tool of this kit.

[...]

Only because I've owned a '69, and now a '68, I picked up 3 Fleetsides and one GMC stepside (for $10 :D).  This is a very popular vintage pickup, they would do very well.

I believe that the D-50 is slated for reissue this year (2019) , though I have no idea what iteration that Round2 has slated for it . Definitely one of my favourite kits !

Frankly , I'm surprised that the Ranger and S-10 kits haven't been issued since c.2003 ! That's 16 years ago already ! Bring those back , as well as the Explorer , the F-150 (c.1994 model) , and the coveted 1990 454-SS C-1500 !

Absolutely YES to the 1972 GMC C-15 ! Shortbed  or longbed , Fenderside or Wideside , please ! 

You have to wonder if something happened to the Flareside bed insert and/or the wheels from the Ranger Splash, it was the only one of those Ranger kits (that I recall) that used that bed and wheel combination.

The Xtreme S-10 was reissued back in 2002, so it all still exists.

image.png.d4705e56ceb0d3e5596ee52c08f6bb33.png

Here's the  Dodge D-50 that I recently built.  MPC did some nicely detailed kits in the 1980s that are seriously overlooked.  Cars like the Chevy Cavalier and Ford EXP are very well detailed and go together fairly well. Their list of small pickups,  the Dodge D-50,  Ford Courier,  Subaru Brat and the recently reissued Datsun (which I have open right now) have nicely done chassis that are just begging to be fit under street rods.  As I worked on the D-50, I snuck the finished chassis under a 40 Ford sedan delivery and it looked like it was made for that kit!  

The problem is that these kits have been overlooked because the subject matter isn't all that mainstream.  As such, they are available at swap meets in the $5-10 price range. I have several D-50s, two original issue era kits and two of the last reissue, all bought for $5 each.  I understand that the new kit market is to hobby shops and people who aren't as connected to swap meets, message boards and club meetings as we all are.  I'd love to know how well Round 2 has done with the Datsun pickup.  We do know that the Brat is coming, and how they do with a reissue of the D-50 again.  That will tell us the market viability of these kits.  

Tom said: MPC did some nicely detailed kits in the 1980s that are seriously overlooked.  Cars like the Chevy Cavalier and Ford EXP are very well detailed and go together fairly well. Their list of small pickups,  the Dodge D-50, (AMT)  Ford Courier,  (AMT) Subaru Brat and the recently reissued Datsun (which I have open right now) have nicely done chassis that are just begging to be fit under street rods.  As I worked on the D-50, I snuck the finished chassis under a 40 Ford sedan delivery and it looked like it was made for that kit!  

I say - Tom is exactly right on this.  These AMT and (especially MPC) kits were really, really well done kits.  If you have never seen them, open a box or two and check them out.  Even better - build one!   TIM 

My Wanted 5 Pick Ups list is all from new tooling . So it won't happen . 

Job Rated Dodge , Studebaker '49- '57 , IH 49-55 , Hudson '50's based on the Stepdown ., Studebaker Lark based .. yeah sure this will happen  . lol .. Thanx 

I guess some of this depends upon whether or not all or most of the old tooling variations (inserts?) exist for the different building versions of some of these trucks.  

My belief is: some of the inserts still do exist for multiple variations. I think the challenge for Round 2 has been to identify them or otherwise get them to work with existing tools.

I'm going to keep my picks very one-tracked:

- 1978 Dodge Warlock pickup - uses more or less the Little Red Express body set up (Utiline short bed), short wheelbase 4x4 suspension, smaller size MPC 4x4 tires, unique "wagon" wheels on their own sprue, short box sized wooden bed rails.

- 1978 Dodge 4x4 "Macho Wagon" - uses more or less the current kit's body setup (Sweptline long bed), long wheelbase 4x4 suspension, the same smaller size MPC 4x4 tires & unique "wagon" wheels on their own sprue (as above for the Warlock), and a roll bar for the bed (one piece of which is in the new kit). Also- new Macho Wagon decals. Maybe do a retro box that uses the same design theme as the ones MPC used for their original Little Red, Warlock, Firebird Trans Am, and Volare Super Pak kits, with pictures of the truck from old Dodge brochures. A Macho has never been offered in model form, but undeniably, this would be a popular kit. Bonus points for finding the inserts for the long bed rails, custom hood, brush guard from the "ThundersTruck" longbed, and camper top.

-1979 Dodge Little Red Express - issue the same as the 1978 version of this kit, but use the 1979-80 grille, hood and cowl set up. This would be a variant that was never done in scale before.   

-1979 Dodge Macho Wagon (Simon & Simon?) - same as "Macho Wagon" above, with the '79-'80 grille, hood and cowl, with new decals. A "Simon & Simon" TV truck could be offered, especially if they tool up the right roll bar and grille guard.

I think they could find the inserts for all of these variants, especially considering that they were able to come up with the Sweptline bed, chassis, and bench seat interior & steering wheel for the latest issue.      

1 hour ago, alexis said:

Great Thinking, Bill. You seem to be the Guru on these old Dodge Truck kits.

Thank you! I've sure had quite a few of them! For all of their faults, I really like these kits, & the new one seems to have made a pretty big splash in our little hobby pond!...   

Oh- just a few more notes about my '79 LRE idea...

1) These MPC Dodge Pickup kits always came with Chrysler Big Blocks. We'll politely ignore that, and take a '79 LRE with the big block, as the '78 has always been offered. It would be fantastic however if Round 2 decided to tool up a Mopar Small Block with Auto Trans to replace the underscale ones in their Dart Sport, Volare and Dodge van kits, and the Big Block in their LRE's. Even if it were on the simple side, and just an extra spure of parts they could slip into select Mopar kits, as long as it was accurate looking and nicely proportioned, it would be most welcome. It could even make a nice parts pack!

2) The '79 LRE's had catalytic converters. Do we really need these added to the kit for a '79 LRE? :) 

On 4/20/2019 at 11:29 AM, 1972coronet said:

I believe that the D-50 is slated for reissue this year.

Ranger and S-10 kits haven't been issued since c.2003! That's 16 years ago already! Bring those back , as well as the Explorer , the F-150 (c.1994 model) , and the coveted 1990 454-SS C-1500 !

Absolutely YES to the 1972 GMC C-15 ! Shortbed  or longbed , Fenderside or Wideside , please ! 

It figures, I just got two of the D-50s this past year at a model show. LOL The Ranger, S-10 and all those seem to be no-brainers. The tooling is paid for and most likely is in good condition and those trucks and SUVs in 1:1 are starting to enter the nostalgia 'Oh-I-Had-One-Just-Like-It!' stage and people are starting to buy them to fix up. There was also an AMT S-10 Blazer in snap-tite that would be nice and Revell (I think) had a nice S-10 Syclone. AMT also had a nice Courier that I would like to see again. I would love to see the Chevy truck backdated to a 1967 and the Dodge van backdated to a 1972 or so with the window van option.

Great list and suggestions. I agree with the 88-98 GM trucks. I would add the following to the kits: the higher trim wheels, the 94+ dash which can be found in the dually kit but put this in regular ones or just offer separate kits 88-93 and 94+. But that brings up the issue of the grille change as well. And they need to update the kit mirrors for the 94+. The dually and Tahoe come with s10 mirrors.