Model Cars Magazine Forum

California Ain't What It Used To Be

regular guy

Maybe things are starting to get like this where you are.Maybe not.I hope not.

The old rule in California was 'You can do anything you want as long as you don' t bother anybody.'

Lots of freedom.

The new way is be a BIG NUISANCE.

I listen to the college classical music channel on radio.

EVENTS.Announcement comes on and you get ready for the ZINGER.

'Oh.We are going to do this on Saturday at noon.'

Then they hit you with the ZINGER.It is put on by some strange group or they have an agenda.

HEY.Keep your 'messages' to yourself!

Get a life! Get a hobby.Get a pet.Do something!

Leave people alone!

Edited by regular guy

2 hours ago, regular guy said:

Maybe things are starting to get like this where you are.Maybe not.I hope not.

The old rule in California was 'You can do anything you want as long as you don' t bother anybody.'

Lots of freedom.

The new way is be a BIG NUISANCE.

I listen to the college classical music channel on radio.

EVENTS.Announcement comes on and you get ready for the ZINGER.

'Oh.We are going to do this on Saturday at noon.'

Then they hit you with the ZINGER.It is put on by some strange group or they have an agenda.

HEY.Keep your 'messages' to yourself!

Get a life! Get a hobby.Get a pet.Do something!

Leave people alone!

The better part of my life, over 30 + years, where spent in California. As I grew up life had me moving back and forth between California and Illinois. When I was old enough to make my own decisions I returned to California and I always enjoyed the life style that you described. I was fortunate to have lived in both southern and northern parts of the state. They are as different as living in another state and should have been divided years ago, but that was voted down. Like you I finally had enough of everything. No other place is perfect, but don't rule out leaving. There was a saying when we left in the summer of '96. "Last tax payer out turn off the lights". I think that better describes what is going on now than when we left. Now let the hate mail begin.       

' "Last tax payer out turn off the lights" '

'96 was right after aerospace went poof! here.

Yep.Lot of middle class fled then.

Stupid ole' me.'Nope.Can't leave.' Really. I have to stay here.'Wahhh!'

Been an eye witness lately to some grasping greedy person taking everything they can get for free.

It ain't pretty.Waiting for that person to move along .Should be soon.I  hope.

They have the new pickup and the old minivan complete with fender and door from junkyard different color of course.

They take the poverty mobile to pick up the free stuff of course.Probably wear old clothes to boot.

I ain't making this up.Really.

Anyhow radio station has been good this afternoon.Have remote handy though!Mute it!

Robert.... Unfortunately in time everything changes...sometimes not for the better.    I some way everyone just wants to be left alone to live their lives as they wish to or like they would like it to be.  For the most part I think the old phase of living the American dream is out the window in some way these days but we just have to see if we can make the best of it as we can..its still the best country to be in.   I have to deal with a lot where Im at...some things are just stupid but its life.

This is not only happening in California.  I was born in NC a Tarheel, raised a Tarheel and will die a Tarheel.  However, what used to be a beautiful state is slowly turning ugly.  Our major city, Charlotte (home of the NFL Panthers), has been nicknamed the "Queen City" for many years, unfortunately it is quickly becoming a real "queen" city.  We, as a state, have lost our values and are cowtowing to the demands of a very small minority view. The once beautiful mountains are being destroyed by the affluent buying property and building "summer homes" along the ridgelines, ruining pristine mountain vistas. Most of our cities with larger populations report at least one murder on every daily newscast.  Yet I will stay here, because I really have not found anything better.  Throughout my USAF career I lived in several different states, the only other one which could possibly attract me away from North Carolina would be Missouri.

9 hours ago, TarheelRick said:

This is not only happening in California.  I was born in NC a Tarheel, raised a Tarheel and will die a Tarheel.  However, what used to be a beautiful state is slowly turning ugly.  Our major city, Charlotte (home of the NFL Panthers), has been nicknamed the "Queen City" for many years, unfortunately it is quickly becoming a real "queen" city.  We, as a state, have lost our values and are cowtowing to the demands of a very small minority view. The once beautiful mountains are being destroyed by the affluent buying property and building "summer homes" along the ridgelines, ruining pristine mountain vistas. Most of our cities with larger populations report at least one murder on every daily newscast.  Yet I will stay here, because I really have not found anything better.  Throughout my USAF career I lived in several different states, the only other one which could possibly attract me away from North Carolina would be Missouri.

While not born or raised in NC, I did choose to move here 14 years ago and don't regret leaving the Chicago suburbs one bit! Yes , this area has changed and the worst part is that people move in from other areas and demand it be like the area they moved from! Really? If you miss (fill in the blank) that much, move back there and leave us alone!

As the migration from over populated, over taxed, run down parts of the country continues, look for this to continue. If I wanted to have those problems, I would have stayed in Chicago and at least had a decent hot dog or pizza available.

I am from the New Jersey suburbs.  We moved to the suburbs west of Philadelphia ten years ago to pursue a job.  More land, lower taxes, open space and low congestion. Life was good.  Once here,  and we went back to visit our old New Jersey town, we then saw how built up and congested it really was. Something you don't notice as it changes day by day, but now seeing it in comparison to Pennsylvania, we'd no longer want to live there.

The past year there has been a construction boom in our Pennsylvania town.  They are building apartments and town houses everywhere!  I pass four active construction sites just on my way to the store, representing hundreds of units.  The town even approved parking garages to up the densities.  At one site, the parking garage is bigger than the building!  It's awful.  I can feel the congestion coming.  And I doubt the local market can absorb all these housing units, so new renters will choose the newest modern apartments.  I see the existing apartment complexes  having vacancies, lowering rents and you know where that leads!

So we are looking at exiting this area.  We really have no ties here since I no longer have the job we moved here for.  Our family and friends are back in New Jersey.  I work from home so location isn't an issue.  So we don't feel like we belong here,  nor to we feel we belong in the NJ town we left.  So we are now looking for an NJ town that's affordable, close to family and friends and where we'd feel comfortable.  We hope to make a final move so we can stay once we retire.  

I've lived in Northern California since 1963 and have no desire ever to leave.

Granted it's more expensive living here, but clean air, golf year round, two seasons (wet/dry) and being able to paint almost anytime you want are worth it.

And Yes, NorCal and SoCal are two different planets...I'll take San Francisco over Los Angeles anytime!

I've had job offers in the past in California (tech companies in San Jose and Santa Clara, also San Diego).. I love the West Coast, but have long found the high cost of real estate to be a turn off.  I probably should have moved to Silicon Valley in my 20s in the mid 90s, though.   I really enjoyed going to beaches in the San Diego and Orange County area and the Long Beach Grand Prix (along w/ racing and car events at Laguna Seca and Sonoma up north) when I lived in AZ and CO... though I enjoy being in Ohio now, sooner or later I'll probably be back somewhere in the West, the West still has the best job markets for my thing...