Model Cars Magazine Forum

Early 60s Gasser

dragcarz

I’ve grown to dislike this kit.....I started this build back in 2013, failed paint job, threw into the purple pond and it attacked the plastic. Wrinkled the plastic, I did lots of body work removing the wrinkles and the chrome trim channels in the body. I added a parts box hood scoop. I finally got it painted custom mix of Testors small bottle yellow and white, and added the Johan decals. I removed the back seat and added a parts box roll bar. The front seats are from the Revell 65 Malibu kit, a parts box steering wheel, shifter, and tachometer. The engine is a Revell Parts Pack Ford 427 and 4 speed transmission. Parts box wheels, slicks and traction bars finished out the bottom. Maybe it was me, but nothing wanted to fit. The back glass is a short shot not fitting the c pillar. This thing has been thrown back into the box more times than I can count. Yes I know the hood emblem is crooked, nothing a piece of tape can’t fix. I guess it captures what I started to accomplish, an early 1964ish home built budget race car. As always comments questions and criticism welcome. 

EBBF8977-03A3-4324-B7B2-09CD56734D46.jpeg

5E6BBB46-C08C-4D87-ACBA-4CAD97AA7149.jpeg

2FA9ED14-84EB-456E-B2B8-6324250B228D.jpeg

D205D21F-4111-439F-8DE0-5957E71142E3.jpeg

252B243B-D647-4CD9-B87C-05C5D09BC437.jpeg

Thanks for the comments everyone. I went back and forth on the class this thing would run in. Seemed like with stock suspension and just two four barrel carbs it would fall into a lower class. I wanted to do it as a D/G but I couldn’t find a D in my decal stash. The A and B Cars all seemed to have straight axles under the front end.

I'm pretty sure that's a 1953 Ford. Shipping weight was about 3100 pounds. With a 427, it would need to weigh over 5500 pounds to be a NHRA  E/G car. As a B/G car, it would need to weigh 3843. I'm not sure when Modified Production started, but it sure looks like a M/P car to me. It's easy to get overly paranoid over the class designation. If you really want to throw the "experts" tell them its either built to AHRA or NASCAR (yes they did run drag cars in the 60's). Very few people are going to have a clue whether you're right or wrong. Adding an AHRA decal would seal the deal.