Model Cars Magazine Forum

Is anyone else getting "page not found" messages when trying to reply to a post?

highway

49 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

I was doing something much like that when I got knocked off the forum for about an hour. After 3 consecutive 404 events, the page times out, and will not let me back in for about 60 minutes. It's happened before, and I just now got back on. 

Same thing was happening to me (forum was inaccessible for about an hour) when I was experimenting with my problematic paragraph earlier.  I was wondering if I was actually crashing the forum website, or was it only me.  But I didn't see anybody complain about the outages, so I assume it was only me.  I wonder if the forum simply blocks, for an hour,  the IP address which is making it "sick".

I verified that your paragraph (properly assembled) causes a 404 error for me too.  I also shortened the paragraph and got another error I was seeing in my own earlier test.  The following text (shown in red), when I click "Submit Reply", will cause a popup window to show up stating that the post no longer can be edited and hangs:

I've never seen a bench seat in a 356 as in the interior shot of the blue roadster.  I need to research that. It probably gets its "outlaw" moniker due to the mild visual departures from stock.

Make sure to preface it with: Beautiful selection of cars there.

There sure are some bugs in the forum's software!

^^^ Excellent that you were able to reproduce the same error-message and "can't edit" behavior exactly as I experienced it. 

Some wizard programmer ought to get some insight from that, eh?  ;)

Kinda puts paid to the idea that "too long" posts were the trigger, or that inclusions of photos or other graphic material were the cause...though of course, they may also be.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I got the 404 on a new message last night. Tried it several times (it stays in the window when I bring up the New Topic), no joy. Finally gave up and copied it all into a word document. It wasn't that much text, but it was eight photos from different files, which took a while to load. 

This morning the message was still available in the New Topic window but it still wouldn't post. If I have time tonight I'll try posting it one line at a time (or maybe deleting one line at a time); that's worked for me before, more or less. 

I just got it again in replying to a message. 

I tried again, and this time I left out a parenthetical question, and it went through just fine. Could it have been having a question mark, a close parens, and a comma in a row that caused the error? :blink:

You might be on to something. Typing a RH parenthesis preceded by a capital B gives a smiley face in the text on this site, so if you're giving a string of examples, they need to be 1),2),3), etc. Caps followed by parentheses wont work (for B anyway).

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

• 2 months later...
On 4/26/2019 at 9:21 PM, Dave Ambrose said:

Drat it. Forgot to do that. You’re right. We have a reproducible failing case. Thank you!

Ok, since the forum was updated, lets try my test case again.  I'm pasting the text with that word which caused the 404 error.

Once you finished composing your message, still in the compose window, hit Control-a, then Control-c.  The first one selects all the text in the compose window, the second copies it into computer's copy/paste buffer.

If something goes wrong and your message is lost, you can just try to reply again and in the empty compose window hit Control- v.  That pastes the text f r o m the buffer into the window.   Keyboard shortcuts are wonderful!  Of course the paste buffer does not persists through reboots and gets wiped out by anything else you "copy".

No joy - if the word "f r o m" (in the paragraph above) is typed in without spaces between letters, the forum pukes and gives me the 404 error.  So this problem still persists.  Can't you provide this easily reproducible test case to the forum's vendor so they can figure out how to fix this bug?

1 hour ago, peteski said:

I thought we were on the "current" (new) version yesterday, when I tried the test.  Did you update the forum again since yesterday 9:41PM EDT (when I tried the test)?

I meant to say that the upgrade put us into a sufficiently current version that I can get this type of support question answered. They actually came out with another update a few days ago. 

5 minutes ago, Dave Ambrose said:

I meant to say that the upgrade put us into a sufficiently current version that I can get this type of support question answered. They actually came out with another update a few days ago. 

Ah, I get it now!  LOL!

On 8/28/2019 at 8:40 PM, Dave Ambrose said:

Well well well, I now understand what's going on with this problem. It's a stinker, but I may be able to figure out how to fix it. 

For the techies out there, sometimes comments look vaguely like a SQL injection attack. When that happens, you get the 404 error. 

I suspected all along that some combinations of text in posts was interpreted as code. This problem never existed in the days of simple BBSs using plain text. :D

I frequent another online forum (using different forum software) and they have similar problem.

Very interesting Dave! I do remember a post where I used those words (maybe a WIP post) and I can remember those words in it as it was a long one. I kept getting the error, but I think I ended up getting rid of a couple emojis to get it to take.

Edited by MrObsessive

56 minutes ago, Dave Ambrose said:

The two keywords are s e l e c t and f r o m (without spaces). Have both of them and get your very own 404 error. 

Interesting. Makes sense (but regardless, not something that should be tagged in a text message window, and especially causing the forum software to puke out 404 error).  IIRC, the other forum has problems with things like "(print", or something like that - not just bare words.  Poor coding if you ask me.

• 2 weeks later...