Model Cars Magazine Forum

Aston Martin DB4

mrmike

I have been wanting to start this long before I had came into possession of this kit.  This is the Revell/Monogram Aston Martin DB4.  I have been long since been looking for a full-detail DB5 and this is a s close as I have been able to get to.  The only difference between the DB4 and the DB5 is the engine size and a slightly long rear deck.  This kit is from 1979 according to the molding on the inside of the body.  There is some flash and significant moldlines on the body.  This may take a while to clean up.  My research has been ongoing for a little while now.  Plus, I want to see how many unsuspecting people I can fool into thinking that this is the James Bond 007 DB5.  Let's see what I can do with this kit.

More to come...

DB401.JPG

DB402.JPG

DB403.JPG

I decided to post three pictures of the DB4 (white) and the DB5 (grey) side-by-side.  You can see the obvious differences between the two cars.  Both models will require bodywork to get them ready for primer and paint, but the DB5 will not be assembled.  I decided a while ago NOT to build the 007 DB5 due to its value.  Some discussion between myself and several model builders in my Club have resulted in some interesting reasons for and against building the 007 DB5 kit.  I have decided to hold onto the DB5 kit for now and not build it.  Maybe I'll build it later.  We shall see.  

More to come...

DB406.JPG

DB404.JPG

DB405.JPG

Excellent!  This era Astons are some of my favorite cars and I always enjoy seeing a build of them.  It appears the DB5 you have is from the Doyusha kit as my Airfix "Bond" DB5 has the big hole in the roof for the working ejector seat.

If you haven's seen it already, forum user Dann Tier has a great detailed build started on the Airfix kit.

Thanks Gary, Tom, and David!

David, I searched theough 5 pages of Dann Tier's forum postings and I didn't see his WIP.  I may try to find it later.  I seem to recall someone building a DB4 or DB5 some time ago on this forum and they were making all kinds of modifications to the kit.  I don't recall who the builder was or if the project was ever finished. 

3 hours ago, mrmike said:

Thanks Gary, Tom, and David!

David, I searched theough 5 pages of Dann Tier's forum postings and I didn't see his WIP.  I may try to find it later.  I seem to recall someone building a DB4 or DB5 some time ago on this forum and they were making all kinds of modifications to the kit.  I don't recall who the builder was or if the project was ever finished. 

I will be starting it up again pretty soon, I had other ones to get out of the way first.

11 hours ago, mrmike said:

I seem to recall someone building a DB4 or DB5 some time ago on this forum and they were making all kinds of modifications to the kit.  I don't recall who the builder was or if the project was ever finished. 

That might be Simon Rivera's build, from 2012. Link below.

It includes many close-up photos of the real car and its parts.  He even contacted Aston-Martin to get the right paint codes.

Turning a DB-4 into a DB-5 will take some serious body work on the front end. But you already know that...

9 hours ago, Mike999 said:

That might be Simon Rivera's build, from 2012. Link below.

It includes many close-up photos of the real car and its parts.  He even contacted Aston-Martin to get the right paint codes.

Turning a DB-4 into a DB-5 will take some serious body work on the front end. But you already know that...

Yes!  That's the build I remember from way back when.  I won't be building mine as Simon did his, but some of the revisions I might be able to do.  Turning the DB4 into a DB5 is definitely out of the question.  Far beyond my skillset.  Thank you for finding the build for me!

I decided to play around with this kit a little bit this afternoon.  I assembled the whitewalls, but I'll turn the tires backwards and paint the whitewalls flat black or rubber color to hide them.  Whitewalls on a sports car?  Must be a '60s thing.  I thought I was going to assemble a good part of the engine only to discover that many parts are chrome plated.  I removed those parts from the main sprue, leaving the number tags on them and gave them a bath in Easy-Off Oven Cleaner.

More to come...

DB407.JPG

DB408.JPG

DB409.JPG

Looking forward to your build . I had the chance to get this kit a while back and passesd i was told it was a hard build ?? What is your opinion on hard this kit will be to build ? Any feedback would be great . Thanks 

Thanks Robert!  This kit, like any other, will have it's challenges.  To me, it's a fair build with the doors and the trunk lid being the more difficult itms to assemble and properly placed on the body.  I haven't gotten very far yet since I have been busy on finishing other projects.  It will be built out of box with some added detail like plug wires.  The inline 6 will probably get a lot of attention for detailing.  

I'll be following your build with interest. Many decades ago I wrecked the Aurora release by trying to do a custom (those were back in the days when we tried to customize all our models). I now have the same release as you have and brought it out of the stash a few months back with the intention of building it but haven't gotten any further then thinking about building it so I'll be interested in what problems you encounter. I built the Maserati 3500 from that same Aurora series  and found few problems so I think that you'll enjoy your build of the DB4.

Thanks Robert!  I took a bunch of the chrome pieces for the engine and dechromed them.  I'll paint them up later after I have washed them thoroughly with water and Dawn Dish Detergent.  I've got a long ways to go with this one!  I clipped these parts for the engine from the chrome tree and dechromed them.  Now for some cleanup and painting.

More to come...

DB410.JPG

DB411.JPG

DB412.JPG

Edited by mrmike

I've been working on assembling the 3.7 Liter engine this afternoon.  Mostly assembled.  Just need the distributor and ignition wire tube added, plug wires and some touchups!

More to come...

DB413.JPG

DB414.JPG

DB415.JPG

I had filled a couple of sink marks in the rear fenders of the DB4 with Mr. Dissolved Putty.  Great stuff, but does it ever smell!  I painted the whitewall insert with Tamiya Semi-Gloss Black and reversed the tires and assembled the wire wheels and knock-offs.

More to come...

DB416.JPG

DB417.JPG

DB418.JPG