Model Cars Magazine Forum

Aston Martin DB4

mrmike

Back on the Aston Martin DB4.  I never cared for the wire wheels or the skinny tires that came in the kit.  I dug through the parts box looking for a better set of tires and I found them...with Borrani wire wheels on them!  If my memory is correct, these wheels and tires came from an old Fujimi Ferrari Daytona from many years ago and was retired from the shelf before it fell completely apart.  I'll just transfer the knockoffs from the kit wheels to the Borrani wire wheels.  The tires are twice as wide as the originals.  I assembled and detailed the luggage.  I want to add ignition wires to the engine, but the wires run out of a tube to the distributor and I need to drill some attachment points into the tube.  Maybe I can find a slightly larger tube...

More to come...

DB419.JPG

DB420.JPG

DB421.JPG

Thanks for the heads-up, Bill!  I'll watch for that when I get to that point in the build.

I was asked about the different tire sizes elsewhere.  The new tires that I am using are about 1/16th inch shorter than the taller, skinny tires in the kit.  They just look a whole lot better than the originals do.  And, the wire wheels don't stick out a country mile like the kit wheels do.

More to come...

DB422.JPG

DB423.JPG

DB424.JPG

If you're going period-correct the taller/skinny wheels and tires are more accurate, just the molding of the wire wheels isnt as good as you can get now.  (ie. the Fujimi Borrani's).  I have a couple DB4's and DB5's and have considering the 3D printed wires I have been seeing, but yours look really good also.  I love pretty much everything Aston so will be enjoying this build.  (Hey Dann Tier its time to get going on yours too lol)

58777378-770-0@2X.jpg.7fdd8190d8db653bd53a929d9f80cf72.jpg

Edited by djflyer

Thanks David!  I am not going for the 100% period correct look for my DB4.  I just want a better looking wheel and the wire wheels that I found will look 100% better than the toy-like wires in the kit.  DB419.thumb.JPG.d53cafd00d5fad7906964f2615f96d2e.JPGBTW, here's my laptop background.  Different cars and photographer, simular picture!

4d39cec1d79b7a5aafbc93f31566956ffaf113f8.jpg

Edited by mrmike

I've been picking away at the DB4 today and I finished the engine compartment.  I next tackled the steering wheel by painting the spokes silver and the rim with flat dark tan covered with clear ornage.  The instrument panel is completed.  Just needs the steering wheel and steering column.

More to come...

DB425.JPG

DB426.JPG

DB427.JPG

Someone, somewhere said that this kit is a bear to put together.  The chassis and interior are starting to prove that.  I have been struggling to get this together even after I have scraped the paint and plastic for glue adhesion.  I got the engine compartment and the trunk floor glued and clamped and I will leave it like this for a while.

More to come...

DB428.JPG

DB429.JPG

DB430.JPG

A little progress on the DB4 3.7 Liter engine.  I got the wires installed into the plug holes and the plug wire tube with holes drilled for the plug wires.  I removed the clamps from the chassis/interior and finished the interior.  I added the front and rear suspensions.

More to come...

DB431.JPG

DB432.JPG

DB433.JPG

I couldn't begin to tell you why the exhaust header layout is as it is.  That system is the only one in the kit.  The header design could be a racing header, but I couldn't find any information on it during my research.

The 3.7 L engine and the exhaust system has been installed into the chassis.  

DB440.JPG

DB441.JPG

DB442.JPG

The chassis is done with the exception touchups.  I had to mockup with the body.  Looks great and I'm glad I went with the Borrani wires and tires from my parts box.

More to come...

DB443.JPG

DB444.JPG

DB445.JPG

Well, it was bound to happen, I broke the body just below the trunk opening.  With all the webbing used in the opening, I started to carefully cut away the webbing and I thought I cracked the plastic.  Turns out that the plastic completely broke a few minutes later.  I reinforced the plastic with a strip of 0.020 sheet styrene with Testors Liquid Cement and I clamped it overnight.  I'm moving forward with this build...

More to come...

DB446.JPG

DB447.JPG

DB448.JPG

You should also watch the area between the window and the trunk.  That piece also cracked on 2 of the bodies I have so I added reinforcement on the 3rd before it had the chance.  I'm guessing thats a weak spot in the molding process.

Good work on that engine and looking forward to the finish.

• 2 weeks later...

I spent a little time this afternoon working on the DB4.  I didn't like the way the exhaust tips splayed out , so I carefully moved the right inwards towards the left and broke the tip off completely.  A little model glue and and little pressure and the tip is back on the silencer (British for muffler) and it looks better to my eye.  Due to the way the hood scoop was molded open on the hood, I added a piece of styrene to the opening to mimic how the hood should actually be on the outside looking at the front of the scoop.  One of the things I don't like about opening doors is the way they can sag and stay open when you don't want them to.  I added a couple of rare earth magnets to each side of the Aston to help keep the doors closed.

More to come...

DB449.JPG

DB450.JPG

DB451.JPG

Edited by mrmike

I gave the Aston what maybe its final coat of primer before paint.  The paint will be Tamiya TS-30 Silver Leaf.  The last picture is of the hood, trunk lid, front and rear valances.

More to come...

DB452.JPG

DB453.JPG

DB454.JPG

Paint was flying today in mrmike's Model Cave!  I painted the Aston Martin DB4 with Tamiya TS-30 Silver Leaf.  So far, so good.  Very little trash in the paint.  I will add a couple more coats of paint later followed by several coats of Tamiya TS-13 Clear.

More to come...

DB455.JPG

DB456.JPG

DB457.JPG