Model Cars Magazine Forum

Zero paints primer - not a fan

Happened twice now. My paint sticks great to the primer, but the primer does a terrible job sticking to the plastic.  

And yes the plastic was scuffed with 600 grit before the primer. 

When I hit the body with the second coat of paint, it pulls up the primer and paint in the convex edges, and creates a blister. Using zero paints and Tamiya primer, never had this problem :( 

I'm a Duplicolor primer kinda guy.  Just bought three more cans of primer gray at Pep Boys the other day... $6.50 each tall can.  Lays down nice and flat.  Never had an issue with it sticking to plastic.  Perfect barrier for automotive paints to protect the plastic.

To be honest, I think it has to specified which kind of ZP primer has been used. There are at least two (that I would know of): Light (Grey) Primer and Primer/ Micro Filler. I have used the latter on two or three occasions without any problems. But what’s annoying me was having all the stink inside the house using the ZP stuff when the job could be done in a few minutes outside in the carport with the Tamiya canned primer. And that one definitely nevers fails.

• 3 months later...
On 4/22/2019 at 7:30 AM, Ahajmano said:

Thanks guys. I’m looking for a white primer but i can look up if they make them. I have several cars that will be either yellow or white. 

I am not sure I have heard one nice thing about ZP, its all been complaints, even as far its crazed plastic,  Ive heard recently a lot of negative things about the paint too.

I would suggest Mr Hobby/Mr Surfacer white primer 1500, its going to go on butter smooth,  I feel that Mr Hobby Mr Surfacer primers are nicer then Tamiya's.

They offer both cans and jars for air brushing , you will have to thin it yourself.

Edited by martinfan5

On 07/08/2019 at 12:48 AM, martinfan5 said:

I am not sure I have heard one nice thing about ZP, its all been complaints, even as far its crazed plastic,  Ive heard recently a lot of negative things about the paint too.

Never had any issues at all with the paint. I usually use it over Tamiya Fine Surface primer in grey, white or pink, but I have also used it over Halfords Plastic Primer with no troubles with either...

best,

M.

14 hours ago, Matt Bacon said:

Never had any issues at all with the paint. I usually use it over Tamiya Fine Surface primer in grey, white or pink, but I have also used it over Halfords Plastic Primer with no troubles with either...

best,

M.

Other people have and posted about it,   I think issues with the paint was they used over the primer too,  could be user error as well, so who really knows. 

7 hours ago, charlie8575 said:

Is that suitable for use under lacquer?

Charlie Larkin

I tried it and seemed to work just fine.  It's weird stuff...looks too thick to spray and goes on kind of ugly, but dries ultra smooth.  You do need to use a large tip for spray brush and kick the pressure up to around 24-30 psi. Oh, you do need to shake the BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH out of it before use.

1 minute ago, El Roberto said:

I tried it and seemed to work just fine.  It's weird stuff...looks too thick to spray and goes on kind of ugly, but dries ultra smooth.  You do need to use a large tip for spray brush and kick the pressure up to around 24-30 psi. Oh, you do need to shake the BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH out of it before use.

One of my military modeling friends tried the Ammo by Mig bottled version- apparently this stuff is all made by one company, and Badger and Ammo re-package it. He said essentially this. Molasses thick, but works beautifully.

Charlie Larkin

On ‎4‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 7:18 AM, Ahajmano said:

Picked up a can of Vallejo lacquer vase coat (primer) on a tip from Burbank house of hobbies. Going to give it a shot tonight. 11 bucks but three times the size of Tamiya 

I use Citadel Skull white primer, it works great and come's in a large can. Very close to Tamiya fine white primer, but better.