Model Cars Magazine Forum

sanding clear coat wicked colors pearl?

Wet sanding on a pearl will damage the pearl effect. All waterborne paints generally require a clear coat and most hobby lacquers or enamels will work. Automotive waterborne paint is generally always cleared with a 2k clear. So the answer is to clear and then sand and polish any imperfections. Createx has very good tutorials and general information on their website concerning topcoats for Wicked and AutoAir.

Edited by Phirewriter

I don't think you're going to be successful. From what I've learned about Createx paints, you can't sand them Put clear over them and sand and polish away. Just not on the color coats. I hope someone will prove me wrong. I like the paints.

How rough is it?  If it's just some orange peel, you can probably clear and sand. If it's "sandy", you can sand the color coat and respray another color coat. I have not tried Wicked, but Auto Air sands nicely with 1000 grit sandpaper used dry. Once you have it smooth, try respraying the color using very thin paint, applied in a few light coats. If you don't sand thru the color, it shouldn't take much paint to give a smooth, even surface. Then you can clear with whatever clear you like. I've had good results with Duplicolor Perfect Match clear, but I've also tried Krylon and Testors and both work fine. It takes some practice to get used to these paints, but once you do, I think you will like them.

14 hours ago, Kit Basher said:

I have not tried Wicked, but Auto Air sands nicely with 1000 grit sandpaper used dry.

I'm thinking that's the issue. I've heard Wicked can't be wet sanded. Might have assumed that included all forms of sanding. I'll have to try it soon.

35 minutes ago, Miatatom said:

I'm thinking that's the issue. I've heard Wicked can't be wet sanded. Might have assumed that included all forms of sanding. I'll have to try it soon.

Dry sanding is what Createx recommends. It's worked well for me. One thing that's helped me a lot, I downloaded and printed the Createx "Hard Surface Application Guide"  Good instructions that apply to all their paints.

On ‎4‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 4:29 AM, Kit Basher said:

How rough is it?  If it's just some orange peel, you can probably clear and sand. If it's "sandy", you can sand the color coat and respray another color coat. I have not tried Wicked, but Auto Air sands nicely with 1000 grit sandpaper used dry. Once you have it smooth, try respraying the color using very thin paint, applied in a few light coats. If you don't sand thru the color, it shouldn't take much paint to give a smooth, even surface. Then you can clear with whatever clear you like. I've had good results with Duplicolor Perfect Match clear, but I've also tried Krylon and Testors and both work fine. It takes some practice to get used to these paints, but once you do, I think you will like them.

I would agree with this. the paint job in question doesn't look to bad in the picture.

On 22 April 2019 at 10:54 PM, Kit Basher said:

Dry sanding is what Createx recommends. It's worked well for me. One thing that's helped me a lot, I downloaded and printed the Createx "Hard Surface Application Guide"  Good instructions that apply to all their paints.

Same here - dry sanding works great, but wet sanding results in a rubbery paint which will probably start peeling.