Model Cars Magazine Forum

Replica of Father-In-Law's 1940 IHC Log truck, DONE!

Got the replica of my Father-In-Law's 1940 IHC D series log truck all done. Dad is 92 and does not have much left, as it is day to day right now. But he totally remembers this truck, as it was one of the favorite times in his life when he and his brother ran this out in Washington state. The build thread is in "Under Construction". Again, thank you to all for the great and heartfelt comments!

IMG_8658.JPG

IMG_8659.JPG

IMG_8660.JPG

IMG_8662.JPG

IMG_8663.JPG

IMG_8664.JPG

IMG_8665.JPG

IMG_8666.JPG

IMG_8667.JPG

IMG_8668.JPG

IMG_8669.JPG

IMG_8673.JPG

IMG_8676.JPG

IMG_8677.JPG

IMG_8678.JPG

IMG_8680.JPG

IMG_8681.JPG

IMG_8682.JPG

IMG_8683.JPG

IMG_8685.JPG

IMG_8687.JPG

IMG_8688.JPG

IMG_8689.JPG

Edited by redneckrigger

15 minutes ago, Chariots of Fire said:

Great Job, Tom.  I left some weathering suggestions for you in the WIP section.

Thanks Charlie...................gonna bite the bullet tonite, and TRY to weather it a bit. If you hear an anguished scream from the northwest of you, you'll know it didn't go so well!

2 hours ago, biggreenponcho said:

Great build and I am so glad your dad got to see it completed!  

On a side note, I am not sure how those guys shifted gears in those trucks with the giant balls they must have had to drive them!  Holy smokes!!

Dad told me this truck had a 5 speed with a 3 speed auxiliary and a 2 speed rear.  It often took three to four hours to climb up out of the header sites. He could set the throttle and get out and walk alongside the truck.  They also chained 4x4's behind the truck wheels and dragged them so if they lost vacuum to the brakes the truck would roll back against it to keep from rolling backwards down the hill.  Big balls for sure! Gonna take the pup trailer to him tomorrow.  

Edited by redneckrigger