Model Cars Magazine Forum

VW Hippie Van circa 1969

This past winter I realized that Woodstock was 50 years ago this summer, so I dragged out a project that I had started years ago ...the Revell release of the curbside Hasegawa (one piece body) 23- window VW van kit. I opened the trunk lids and side doors, primed the body with Krylon Black Chalkboard paint, and proceeded to wallpaper the heck out of it with rock concert posters and hippie art work...accessed from the internet and printed out on a quality photocopier then wallpapered with diluted Elmers glue. I installed the engine and bucket seats from a Revell VW bug, scratchbuilt a reel to reel tape deck wall unit from Evergreen sheet, and included little scale tape reel boxes. While a little over the top and not exactly a scale rendition of what you might've seen heading for Hippie land back in the day...it was fun.

20190420_170301.jpg

20190420_165924.jpg

20190420_165956.jpg

I initially started out trying to hand paint designs in a Yellow Submarine motiff, but just couldn't get the look right. In order to complete the build in time for the IPMS show in Richmond last February I came up with the idea of wallpapering posters. While not true to scale...they do pop out visually. I got a lot of inquiries at the show about how it was achieved...for some reason people just couldn't believe it was simply photo copied paper.

5 hours ago, espo said:

Neat looking van. I would expect an 8 track tape deck. The Reel to Reel Tape Deck might have been beyond their financial abilities. I like how you did all the posters, great idea.  

High end audio guys in 1969 were all about reel to reel.  My father was one of those guys.  I still have a couple of his high end units.   Neat van!   You should bring it to that little show in Jersey this weekend!   

Edited by Tom Geiger

1 minute ago, Tom Geiger said:

High end audio guys in 1969 were all about reel to reel.  My father was one of those guys.  I still have a couple of his high end units.   

Soooooo.......right you are Tom!    Just for giggles. .......search out "what" some of that old equipment brings ..."dollar wise" these days......wish my foresight had been better!