Model Cars Magazine Forum

A Ford that chases airplanes for a living.

Agent G

I took this as inspiration.

v7uCKEW.jpg

uL2jTsT.jpg

Bought this when I found it at a LHS in Antioch, Illinois. 

iH6bslp.jpg

Put it all together and built this. 

EsIt7Er.jpg

dMony5g.jpg

WMtQ1rx.jpg

NdKeEyE.jpg

DLNdhzf.jpg

vrQT2cQ.jpg

Paint is a Floquil Rail Road color called "CSX New Image Blue". I think it matches the real deal fairly well. 

Interior is painted with Tamiya acrylics by airbrush, then details picked out with Vallejo acrylic. 

G

Very nice.  One major part missing that makes it a U2 chaser. You can see it in the photos but it is easy to miss.   In front of the light bar in the middle of the roof you should have a "blade" UHF antenna  connected to a UHF radio in the car.  In some cases it was mounted on the light bar or behind the light bar, but it was always on the roof of the mustang chase cars. This is how they talk to the U2 when it is landing. 

Thank you sir!

4 hours ago, Pete J. said:

Very nice.  One major part missing that makes it a U2 chaser. You can see it in the photos but it is easy to miss.   In front of the light bar in the middle of the roof you should have a "blade" UHF antenna  connected to a UHF radio in the car.  In some cases it was mounted on the light bar or behind the light bar, but it was always on the roof of the mustang chase cars. This is how they talk to the U2 when it is landing. 

The blade is being made as we speak. I was confused as to the shape, blade or cylinder, until I spoke to a co worker who is retired Air Force. He confirmed the blade shape.

G

Signed in for the first time in ages to say Well Done! I have always fancied making a 5.0LX chase car but didn't know if it would work. Yours is amazing.

U2s were (allegedly...) based at RAF Alconbury near where I grew up, and my dad used to see the chase cars when he was working nearby, though I think they used El Caminos or something similar at that time. Would love to get my hands on a real LX chase car, what a sleeper! 

7 hours ago, Simon said:

Signed in for the first time in ages to say Well Done! I have always fancied making a 5.0LX chase car but didn't know if it would work. Yours is amazing.

U2s were (allegedly...) based at RAF Alconbury near where I grew up, and my dad used to see the chase cars when he was working nearby, though I think they used El Caminos or something similar at that time. Would love to get my hands on a real LX chase car, what a sleeper! 

Thank you sir!

G

Thank you all!

Greg, thanks for the idea! I already carved a blade antenna from a .015 thick scrap of styrene. The glue is drying as we speak, so I'll post photos later. I work nights so early morning and days off are when I work on my builds. 

Matthew google USAF chase car sometime and read the articles. Fascinating piece of history that continues to this day.

On ‎4‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 6:53 PM, Agent G said:

See the source image

El Caminos were definitely used!

G

In addition to congratulating you on a great finish I was also gonna make mention of the El Caminos that used to be used. I spent a while in aviation and knew of those from the old timers that used to see them way back when. If I remember the stories correctly there were 396's in them.