Model Cars Magazine Forum

3d printed parts from shapeways

Hello everyone,

today I got an email from shapeways with the following content included.

Quote:

"Dear Shop Owner,

On Monday, April 29, 2019, we will be releasing a new pricing formula for our Smooth and Smoothest Fine Detail Plastic materials. Below is a set of FAQs to help prepare you for the update. "

"What are the pricing components in the new formula?

The pricing formula is based on the following components, all of which add up to create a custom price for your model:

• Material Volume – the amount of material needed to 3D print your product

• Support Volume – the amount of support material required to 3D print your product

• Number of parts – a part is a piece of a model that can be separated from other pieces of the model

• Production – associated production costs including labor, quality control, machine maintenance, general utilities, and other supporting services required to 3D print your product

With this update, models will need to meet the following minimums:

• Minimum price per model

• $7.50 for Smooth Fine Detail Plastic

• $10 for Smoothest Fine Detail Plastic

• Minimum price for Parts Bounds Volume*

• $0.35 per cm3 for Smooth Fine Detail Plastic

• $0.58 per cm3 for Smoothest Fine Detail Plastic

*Parts Bounds Volume is the bounding box volume for each part of a model added together. Models must meet this minimum, which is calculated by multiplying the Parts Bounds Volume by the rate listed above.

Why did you make this change?

We are sensitive to adjusting prices and are aware that this is never easy on customers. However, we do need to make sure that our prices reflect the true cost of doing business and allow us to further invest and innovate in our business."

As you can see there are then minimum prices per model (item) you buy. This most of all affects the smaller parts like hubcaps, etc.

I only wanted to let you all know about that because there are several parts I offer at my store which will be affected by this price changes beginning next monday.

I´m already working on a solution to minimize the increase of the prices for my parts.

Thank you all for your support.

Rico

You took the hubcaps in Smoothest Fine Detail Plastic. For this example the base printing price will be $10 without any markup for me starting from next Monday.

As I wrote earlier I will try to keep the prices as small as possible. I don´t want to get rich with the parts but a little amount for my work should be possible I think.

2 hours ago, camaro69 said:

I don´t want to get rich with the parts but a little amount for my work should be possible I think.

Absolutely!!

If you can't make a few bucks, it's not worth doing!

People will pay for them if they want them bad enough.

If not, tough cookies!

Do without!

Steve

Rico, I recently got your grille for the ‘69 Barracuda and it’s fantastic.  Charge what you need to; people are lucky to get what you’re providing and I know you are fair.  Unlike with some unsavory characters that didn’t come through with resin they took payment for, with Shapeways we can be confident that a product will actually be “made to order” and we’ll receive it.  Thank you.

Last week I picked up an unbuilt 69 going to make a big difference. Barracuda, and a couple of days ago I ordered a 69 Barracuda grille from you. I have to decide what I am going to do with the kit. I think that grille is going to make a big difference in the build.