Model Cars Magazine Forum

1969 Boss 302

rastta

Finished up the Revell 1969 Boss 302.  My first car was a 1969 Mach 1 but I always wanted a Boss.  It was a decent kit - but the interior isn't correct for a 1969 Boss and appears to be the interior from their Shelby model.  In researching how to paint the car, I found that Ford didn't do anything consistent with the painting of the underbody.  In looking at a number of photos - I decided to try and replicate how they did the paint.  It came out ok - but trying to do it with a rattle can was well, challenging.  I decided to paint it Pearl White - using Testors White Lightening Lacquer because I really like how this paint lays down and dries so quickly.  Since I took these photos I've fixed the front bumper and the rear panel and got them to seat better.  I did make one fatal error in painting the hood.  Didn't mask the front correctly when painting the black.  I didn't realize it until I was putting on the final decals.  Not sure why they have a decal for the black on the trunk and not the whole hood.  I also messed up the woodgrain decal on the dash - so I painted that instead.  Overall I'm happy with the build but the hood just bugs me...

0421191519a.jpg

0421191519b.jpg

0421191519d.jpg

0421191519e.jpg

0421191525.jpg

0421191520b.jpg

0421191520.jpg

0415191130_HDR.thumb.jpg.af382848738f66cb31aa19a830de9699.jpg

Edited by rastta

Very nice clean looking build. I can see you did a lot of paint detailing on the chassis and suspension. The Pearl White color always looks better in person than in photos, it just doesn't seem to show the same shine in photos. I agree with '70 Grande about the white color giving it a more elegant look. 

3 hours ago, espo said:

Very nice clean looking build. I can see you did a lot of paint detailing on the chassis and suspension. The Pearl White color always looks better in person than in photos, it just doesn't seem to show the same shine in photos. I agree with '70 Grande about the white color giving it a more elegant look. 

Me too.

Probably the majority of modelers are perfectionists, and that is fine. But it takes some confidence to post pictures of your little mistakes. I LOVE PEARL WHITE paint jobs. Okay, you made an unforced error on the hood decals but , that is still a respectable model and no matter what your critics say, that's a real nice job. :D

Edited by Daddy Mack

29 minutes ago, Daddy Mack said:

Probably the majority of modelers are perfectionists, and that is fine. But it takes some confidence to post pictures of your little mistakes. I LOVE PEARL WHITE paint jobs. Okay, you made an unforced error on the hood decals but still, that is still a respectable model and no matter what your critics say, that's a real nice job. :D

The hood paint on Mustangs has held me back on some builds.  With scoops and bulges and thin stripes and curves it makes it quite a challenge for sure.  Rarely can decals handle all the contours and lay down flat.  Yes - hats off those those that figure out what works for them.

Edited by vamach1

On 4/24/2019 at 1:45 PM, vamach1 said:

Very nice detailing.  FYI on the rear spoiler.  Don't worry - I have seen real cars with the same issue.

IMG_4372.JPG

Ya know - after I was done it didn't look right to me but the illustration on the box makes it look like it should go the way I did it.   Funny thing is now that you showed the instructions - I realized at that point I hadn't even looked at that illustration...

Edited by rastta

Thanks for all the kind words everyone.   I think the biggest dilemma I always face is - how exact do I try and replicate the factory colors etc.  Most of the time I wind up somewhere in the middle - often going with a non factory color for the body and trying to replicate the detailing the best extent I can.  Needless to say - it's always an adventure and learning experience.

3 hours ago, rastta said:

Ya know - after I was done it didn't look right to me but the illustration on the box makes it look like it should go the way I did it.   Funny thing is now that you showed the instructions - I realized at that point I hadn't even looked at that illustration...

Hopefullly it will pop off and you can flip it around.  I have a 1:1 72 Mach1 that I installed a rear spoiler so it's the first thing I notice on any 69-73 Mustang real or otherwise.