Model Cars Magazine Forum

What if Model car Boxart

11 minutes ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Cool idea, let's see more.

As far as the Challenger - I'm surprised AMT or Revell/Monogram haven't scratched this itch already considering they both have the basic tooling available.

agreed ... with the sort of mundane AMT '70 offering ... a '71 would be welcomed IMO ... instead of the obvious 426 or 440 , how about a nice 383 this time .
oh, and a j-81 spoiler to ;-) ... 

And I'm dreaming but an uptop in the convertible kit would be a nice addition as well ... JM.02

With the Monogram '70 Challenger's separate front grill/valence panel and rear tail lights it would seem to be a fairly easy conversion. With the 340 available for the R/T only a revised exhaust and intake would be required for the underpinnings. Plus the faux brake cooling scoops for the lower quarter panels and necessary seat pattern changes. 

11 hours ago, Phirewriter said:

With the Monogram '70 Challenger's separate front grill/valence panel and rear tail lights it would seem to be a fairly easy conversion. With the 340 available for the R/T only a revised exhaust and intake would be required for the underpinnings. Plus the faux brake cooling scoops for the lower quarter panels and necessary seat pattern changes. 

An all-new 1971 Challenger kit would be a great opportunity for one of the model companies to tool up an accurately- shaped Challenger body.

All of the recent Challenger tools have their issues:

- The old Monogram '70 T/A (original tooling circa 1982) is too fat and squat. It doesn't look half bad when built, but it definitely does not capture the look of the Challenger body shape. The kit itself is simple in places, but to me, without considering the body proportion issues, I think it builds up fairly well. Because of the body proportions, I would not want a new '71 Challenger based on this tool.  

-The old AMT Challenger (original tooling circa 1982) has body proportions that are good, except for the separate roof. The rest of the kit, while simple, isn't too bad. IF a new body and interior could be tooled up for this kit that does not have a separate roof (and of course, with good proportions & details), then it's possible that this could be a decent base for a modified reissue, although it still would not stack up to most "modern" (circa 1995 to present) model tools.

-The newer Revell R/T-T/A tool (circa 2002?) has it's issues. It's simpler than most modern tools tend to be, and the body sides don't curve right, because it's based on a diecast tool. When assembled, the interior and chassis don't tend to sink into the body the way that they should, so the chassis hangs down unless you do some major clamping before the glue dries. The body overall is good, not great - the proportions are kind of funky. Some of the smaller details are kind of funky, too. I'm not a fan of this one - I would not like to see a modified reissue of this kit.

That leaves us with the prospect of an all-new tool for a '71 Challenger. Many would say that we have too many Challengers already, but I would say that we haven't really gotten a good one yet. Multiple versions could be spun off from the same tool- even the '72-'74 "Sad Mouth" Challengers could be given a go...   

6 hours ago, CapSat 6 said:

An all-new 1971 Challenger kit would be a great opportunity for one of the model companies to tool up an accurately- shaped Challenger body.

All of the recent Challenger tools have their issues:

- The old Monogram '70 T/A (original tooling circa 1982) is too fat and squat. It doesn't look half bad when built, but it definitely does not capture the look of the Challenger body shape. The kit itself is simple in places, but to me, without considering the body proportion issues, I think it builds up fairly well. Because of the body proportions, I would not want a new '71 Challenger based on this tool.  

-The old AMT Challenger (original tooling circa 1982) has body proportions that are good, except for the separate roof. The rest of the kit, while simple, isn't too bad. IF a new body and interior could be tooled up for this kit that does not have a separate roof (and of course, with good proportions & details), then it's possible that this could be a decent base for a modified reissue, although it still would not stack up to most "modern" (circa 1995 to present) model tools.

-The newer Revell R/T-T/A tool (circa 2002?) has it's issues. It's simpler than most modern tools tend to be, and the body sides don't curve right, because it's based on a diecast tool. When assembled, the interior and chassis don't tend to sink into the body the way that they should, so the chassis hangs down unless you do some major clamping before the glue dries. The body overall is good, not great - the proportions are kind of funky. Some of the smaller details are kind of funky, too. I'm not a fan of this one - I would not like to see a modified reissue of this kit.

That leaves us with the prospect of an all-new tool for a '71 Challenger. Many would say that we have too many Challengers already, but I would say that we haven't really gotten a good one yet. Multiple versions could be spun off from the same tool- even the '72-'74 "Sad Mouth" Challengers could be given a go...   

Exactly my point on this one ..... Yeah there's a few Challenger kits, but they aren't up to par and they have there pros and cons too.
All new accurate tooling would be great !

A Mod Squad Challenger might be an out of reach idea but an interesting one.....
The 1971 Dodge Challenger Convertible on the Mod Squad was one of the two or three cars used for on-screen work during the 1972 Mod Squad season.
Since Chrysler discontinued
Challenger
Convertible production after 1971, the car was updated with 1972-specific front and rear components, creating
an interesting hybrid.

mod squad.jpg

On 4/25/2019 at 4:27 PM, Trendsetta68 said:

Exactly my point on this one ..... Yeah there's a few Challenger kits, but they aren't up to par and they have there pros and cons too.
All new accurate tooling would be great !

A Mod Squad Challenger might be an out of reach idea but an interesting one.....
The 1971 Dodge Challenger Convertible on the Mod Squad was one of the two or three cars used for on-screen work during the 1972 Mod Squad season.
Since Chrysler discontinued
Challenger
Convertible production after 1971, the car was updated with 1972-specific front and rear components, creating
an interesting hybrid.

mod squad.jpg

In the TV show Mannix, they updated his '71 Barracuda with '72 parts for that year. I did not know about the Mod Squad Challenger above. I was never a fan of that show. But, I loved Mannix. It's a shame Chrysler drop their ponycar convertibles for '72. I really like the Mod Squad Challenger above, and the Mannix Barracuda below, done for that show. 

IMG_3490.JPG

Edited by unclescott58

8 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

In the TV show Mannix, they updated his '71 Barracuda with '72 parts for that year. I did not know about the Mod Squad Challenger above. I was never a fan of that show. But, I loved Mannix. It's a shame Chrysler drop their ponycar convertibles for '72. I really like the Mod Squad Challenger above, and the Mannix Barracuda below, done for that show. 

IMG_3490.JPG

Great car and great show... Mannix was one of  My favorite shows on TV.....

Here's another one that might go pretty good ..... Since Revell has the '70 Torino and no FOMOCO running mate, 
It would be kool to have an ALL NEW '70 CYCLONE kit. The old AMT/MPC offering was nice but it's time that
we get an up to date Spoiler !
Any thoughts are welcome  .....

70 CYCLONE.png

9 hours ago, Trendsetta68 said:

Here's another one that might go pretty good ..... Since Revell has the '70 Torino and no FOMOCO running mate, 
It would be kool to have an ALL NEW '70 CYCLONE kit. The old AMT/MPC offering was nice but it's time that
we get an up to date Spoiler !
Any thoughts are welcome  .....

70 CYCLONE.png

I love it...want one...LOL..  My family once was lucky enough to have a real 70 and a 71....got both in scale models but they both need a ton of parts and work.

12 hours ago, disabled modeler said:

I love it...want one...LOL..  My family once was lucky enough to have a real 70 and a 71....got both in scale models but they both need a ton of parts and work.

Wow, that's awesome ! I have a '70 and as yours, it to needs repairs .
So I take it that me and you so far can smell the new plastic from this one !
 :D

On 4/24/2019 at 9:11 PM, Oldcarfan27 said:

Cool idea, let's see more.

As far as the Challenger - I'm surprised AMT or Revell/Monogram haven't scratched this itch already considering they both have the basic tooling available.

I've added a what if Cyclone to the list ..... :-) 

On 4/27/2019 at 7:18 AM, unclescott58 said:

IMG_3490.JPG

Don't forget the Brady Bunch! A 71 to 72 conversion. 

brady323e_7140.jpg.45f30ec10f26e2daae5629aabeca8a65.jpg

brady323c_4436.jpg.19301ec2a3737374cffa97541e49a06b.jpg

1 hour ago, Trendsetta68 said:

I've added a what if Cyclone to the list ..... :-) 

Add these to the list.

A 71 'Cuda from the NEW 70 tool.

A 72 Pontiac Ventura 2 from the Nova tool.

A Grand Wagoneer from the Jeep Honcho

A 71-72 Elky from the 68 tool

A 71-72 Chevelle from the 70 snapper. 

A Grand Prix from the 77 Monte Carlo snapper  (with the entire roof corrected, please)